sad times

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Hey BK,
    Alliance? Does he know there’s nothing out there??!?!?

I’ve seen a lot of recruiting by Alliance businesses in the paper lately. They are at least being progressive.

It’s in the NW part of Nebraska, north of the North Platte river, which is what feeds McConaughy. Lots of channel fishing at Big Mac, and I know there are flatheads there, but you never really hear of them too much.

You’ve also got Box Butte and Minitare up that way, neither of which I’ve fished. All I know about Butte is it’s full of northerns and there are some walleyes, and Minitare is full of walleyes and wipers. Both are gonna have some channel fishing. Don’t know about flats.

If you’re gonna be that close, you better call me….we’ll head out to the canal after flats!

djorg
    Central City, NE

Hey Brian, don’t tell him about the big flats in Sherman. I’ve fished Box Butte a couple of times through the ice and once on open water. Nice fish. Alliance is a great place if you like ice fishing because of all of the sandhill lakes.

jorg

sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

Only some of the greatest fishing in the world is 90 miles to the southeast.Lake McConaughey is on the platte and can be anywhere from 14-20plus miles long and over 100 feet deep.
    Got to catch a wiper if you are there in the Summer.
    Lots of 10 lb cats.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

B you can count on it…I hope I don’t have to visit the relatics in the winter…like I’ll have a choice.

I’ll pull this thread back up when I know we’re heading out.

If you guys ever get to Alliance…look up my brother in law Chuck…then give him a black eye for me!

He’s live up in Grand Maria, MN for well way too long. He always asks me…”when ya coming up?” and I always tell him…”just let me know when the fish are biting”. Never happened.

I can take a hint.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Flatwalter…my beloved brother in law thinks a flathead is a motor scooter.

He just doesn’t know what he’s missing.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

BK, You can stop here on the way and wet in line in the Missouri River. We can chase after that 70-pound Flatty and 90-pound Blue!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

So many places to fish…so little time.

One day of relatics and two weeks of fishing and friends…I’m in!

huntalot60
    wisconsin

well it’s just a matter of time until the farm is sold. Mom has started getting offers on it. My guess is that it will be gone in less than 2 weeks. boy i’m crushed. ever since i can remember i was told that it was going to be mine. i didn’t go to collage or to the army because i was told had to take care of the land it was going to be mine. i left for a few months and lived in montana and got call dad health was bad need help. so i moved back home. well my dad was old school, his word was all that was needed. well he can’t help when he’s dead and mom has everyone telling her to sell it. i can’t afford the whole thing so i tried to buy 20 acres from her. nope is what she said. going out to pull all my stands and film where i shot all the deer over the years. 3 of my 4 first where there, bow,pistol, and muzzleloader. it going to be hard for me. been doing QDM since 1993. finally have the doe to buck numbers good. only shot 2 buck with the gun in 21 years hunting there, but let close to 70 or better walk during the gun season.always find 10 or more sheds there last few years it’s been in the 20 or better. boy i sick it’s going to take alot of time to get over this. worse part is some dads ashes are spread out on the hill.

sorry guys just had to let it out a little thought i would share it with you all. thanks for listening

hangartner
    fayette,iowa

been there, you never really get over it. 30 years later I bought the most of it. the last laugh is mine.

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

Sorry to hear that. I know it wouldn’t be the same but try keeping life time hunting rights on the property.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Sorry to hear it I know how you feel

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Wow that is tough! Sorry about the loss of the land….I know how you feel though. We lost land we hunted since I was a kid and it’s hard to move on but we did. And now we are making new memories and I’m sure you will too. Good luck!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Doesn’t make it easier… but they can’t take away the memories you have of the farm… alot of people do not get the experience you’ve had.

TeamBurbot

I feel for you, i hate the day when my grandparents are gone or they sell all that wonderful land were i worked and hunt. theres no way ill be able to afford it so it will all be gone somedeay.

lick

That’s a tough one

huntalot60
    wisconsin

amish (can’t spell) are going to buy it and they hunt so don’t think the hunting rights will fly. funny thing i thought of that also. just have to move on, hope to find somewhere that has the same views on hunting. i can’t lie had some other places to hunt. good places,let bucks walk that would score 150+ bigger than anything i have ever shot. i also was hunt one buck each time. all three would go 200+ gross. only one i don’t know what he owould have scored but typ 14 pointer with split brows(think he got poached). the other one’s where shot. one scored 197 5/8 net. the other one scored 227 3/8 net, also got shot.
    the thing is i always had the farm to go to, now don’t have that or the other places to hunt.

i have a few people i going to ask about hunting and some public. i’m going to make the best of it, hell maybe i get to seal the deal on one of those 200 inchers now

just good to be able to talk to people about that have the same drive hunting as i do. thanks again

travis_eckman
    Trempealeau County, WI

Not cool! Best wishes to you in your new hunting adventures! Hold your memories close and strive to develop new ones! Good luck!

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Quote:

Wow that is tough! Sorry about the loss of the land….I know how you feel though. We lost land we hunted since I was a kid and it’s hard to move on but we did. And now we are making new memories and I’m sure you will too. Good luck!

x2 Hunted a farm Grandpa had for 15 yrs then decided to sell, luckily got back on the home farm since 85

dozer
    SE ,MN

That is tough, sorry to hear

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Back to the top!

Uncle traveling Chuck moved to the
    Sheridan WY area. Any water out that way?

I hear they call the prairie dogs out there antelope.

mb376
    Lincoln, Nebraska

I think Minneapolis is actually closer to me than Sheridan Wyoming.

He will be a hop skip jump from Montana. He might want to take up fly fishing, ala a River Runs Through It. Boysen and Glendo Reservoirs in Wyoming are outstanding walleye fisheries, but they are not exactly close to Sheridan, but then again 100 miles is “just down the road” in Wyoming.

It is a beautiful area on the east slope of the Bighorns Mountains. I have hunted elk there and caught a few brookies in the streams.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

There deffinately isn’t much for kitty fish in Wyoming either.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.