Trail Cam Pics

• Shane Hildebrandt
    Blaine, mn

Quote:

Zimmy
    Unfortunately, I think that is the same view of a deer we all see too often. They don’t get big by being dumb.

Gator Hunter

too bad, I always see the other end coming at me, very seldom do i see that end. although if you were to ask my father, that is the end he gets the most looks at. he is getting slow in his old age.

shane

chappy
    Hastings, MN

So in other words…. The camara shot what Johnny could’nt???

chappy
    Hastings, MN

So in other words…. The camara shot what Johnny could’nt???

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

How are the cheaper trail cams?

I see Gander has one on sale for 65 bucks, I may pick one up if they are any good.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

How are the cheaper trail cams?

I see Gander has one on sale for 65 bucks, I may pick one up if they are any good.

bucketmouth1

Go for it MossBoss. I have one of the cheaper ones. It is a Stealth. It takes really good pics.

bucketmouth1

Go for it MossBoss. I have one of the cheaper ones. It is a Stealth. It takes really good pics.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

hey MossBoss,

i’m not sure what camera gander has for $65, but here’s a pretty good site that has a lot of reviews of many different trail cams.

Jesse’s hunting page

i think i mentioned it in a previous post, but i have the PhotoHunter trail camera. it was the cheapest around when i bought it two years ago. it has worked fine for me, with no major problems. the only down fall is that it doesn’t work when it gets cold out. the battery life just isn’t there. i know that a few of the more expensive ones (cammtracker) work just fine all winter, but i would doubt if any cheap one would work in temps below freezing.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

hey MossBoss,

i’m not sure what camera gander has for $65, but here’s a pretty good site that has a lot of reviews of many different trail cams.

Jesse’s hunting page

i think i mentioned it in a previous post, but i have the PhotoHunter trail camera. it was the cheapest around when i bought it two years ago. it has worked fine for me, with no major problems. the only down fall is that it doesn’t work when it gets cold out. the battery life just isn’t there. i know that a few of the more expensive ones (cammtracker) work just fine all winter, but i would doubt if any cheap one would work in temps below freezing.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Thanks for the info guys, I may go look into some tonight.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Thanks for the info guys, I may go look into some tonight.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

All I want is something good enough to show me what’s coming around…………….so I stopped talking about it and went and got one last night! Can’t wait to get started!!! My biggest dilemma is where to put it! I’ve got some really good choices! Guess I’ll start in one of those spots that I know gets a lot of “traffic” every fall.

Man,…………….I’m going to be useless at work today!!!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

All I want is something good enough to show me what’s coming around…………….so I stopped talking about it and went and got one last night! Can’t wait to get started!!! My biggest dilemma is where to put it! I’ve got some really good choices! Guess I’ll start in one of those spots that I know gets a lot of “traffic” every fall.

Man,…………….I’m going to be useless at work today!!!

scottsteil
    Central MN

My question about trail cameras is don’t you think that a big mature buck would be scared off by the flash of the camera and you would never see him again. They are big for a reason!

I am not talking about 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 year old bucks, but the big mature bucks. It seems as though one flash of the camera and they would be gone……for good. That is just the impression I get. Anyone have any thoughts?

scottsteil
    Central MN

My question about trail cameras is don’t you think that a big mature buck would be scared off by the flash of the camera and you would never see him again. They are big for a reason!

I am not talking about 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 year old bucks, but the big mature bucks. It seems as though one flash of the camera and they would be gone……for good. That is just the impression I get. Anyone have any thoughts?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

The range is pretty close for the motion detection and I’ve had the pleasure of watching mature bucks. They rarely run like the dickens unless they’ve confirmed a real danger. Curious, strange things like a flash may spook them for a moment but they’ll investigate. They may alter their path a little, but they won’t leave the area. Also, the more exposure to flashes, the less the effect.

Comparable notes are shining………….which doesn’t prevent a buck from returning to that field of does night after night………..and lightning.

I got my first exposure to the use of my new trail cam just this past Saturday and I got pics of a 3 1/2 year old (near as I can guess) and in the series, he never ran. He had his ears perked up and the nose going, but never turned during the series of pics.

The older guys usually don’t walk down the cabin driveway anyway, near as we’ve ever determined, but I don’t think a flash is enough to deter them. It doesn’t register as a danger. No scent, little if any sound, and it never moves.

Another thought is spotting that 10-12 pt. monster in somebody’s yard light! If exposure is the deterent, how do we explain that?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

The range is pretty close for the motion detection and I’ve had the pleasure of watching mature bucks. They rarely run like the dickens unless they’ve confirmed a real danger. Curious, strange things like a flash may spook them for a moment but they’ll investigate. They may alter their path a little, but they won’t leave the area. Also, the more exposure to flashes, the less the effect.

Comparable notes are shining………….which doesn’t prevent a buck from returning to that field of does night after night………..and lightning.

I got my first exposure to the use of my new trail cam just this past Saturday and I got pics of a 3 1/2 year old (near as I can guess) and in the series, he never ran. He had his ears perked up and the nose going, but never turned during the series of pics.

The older guys usually don’t walk down the cabin driveway anyway, near as we’ve ever determined, but I don’t think a flash is enough to deter them. It doesn’t register as a danger. No scent, little if any sound, and it never moves.

Another thought is spotting that 10-12 pt. monster in somebody’s yard light! If exposure is the deterent, how do we explain that?

Viewing 17 posts - 61 through 77 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.