When is enough, enough?

• norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

I’ve been hunting a certain big 10 pointer thoughout the entire bow season, slug season, and muzzeloader season. It seems he’s winning! During this time I’ve spent 100’s of hours on stand. I’ve sat in some beautiful 70 degree weather and some very cold 0 degree temps. A few times I thought I had him figured out only to see him vanish. There were times I’d thought he’d been harvested but just as suddenly as he vanished he’d reappear. I’d seen him a dozen times without a shot. Had him 50 yards with my 50 cal on day at noon trotting through the brushy woods. No shot.I’d passed up dozens of small bucks and hundreds of does.I’ve been pretty vigilent in my pursuit of this buck. Trouble is its getting close to being the bottom of the nineth inning.I’m running out of time! Almost every night I go out I have the chance to take an easy shot at some big does or small bucks.And I’d really like to have some venison in my freezer. Would you guys hold out for your targeted buck or just tag a deer and hope the buck you’ve been after makes it another year?

big_g
    Isle, MN

I have had this dilemma before, I don’t envy you. Can you get a Mgmt tag in your area ? I always try to have at least a back-up plan to get some venison. You know when you put a nice doe on the ground, he will appear, with shot for you… I always come up with a time, when if it hasn’t happened yet, I will take a doe, for some meat. Some years, I have eaten all my tags, because I waited too long… Make the best decision for you. If I remember right, you own a butcher shop, so I can only imagine, that you have some tasty venison recipes Good Luck in your pursuit, it takes discipline to pass alot of deer, that tells me this 10 pt must be special

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Nope no managment tag. Just mine. Seen the buck last night following the rear in a heard of 38 other deer.By the time he got to the area I was, it was past shooting time.The herd is feeding on a bean and alfafa field. I waited for him to slowly mosey away. I stayed in my stand until almost 7pm so I wouldn’t spook him.I’ve never worked this hard on a buck. I don’t think he’s that smart but just plain lucky at making good choices.

lick

Stay after him thru this weekend with the nasty weather coming this should be your best chance to him

Good Luck

Thats the problem with hunting 1 deer you have to be willing to eat tag soup

coppertop
    Central MN

Norse, The way I see it at this point you are “All in.” Your odds are going up everytime you hunt him as it seems he’s certainly not spooked outta there. I say wait him out and only if he gives you the slip a the bitter end you should be able to bag a doe based on the # of deer in your area. If he beats you this year he’ll only be bigger next season, shed hunting is just around the corner. If so give him a at the end season. Hope things end in your favor!!!

coppertop
    Central MN

Quote:

Stay after him thru this weekend with the nasty weather coming this should be your best chance to him.

X2!!

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Some how I knew I was “All in”. Just needed to hear that I’m not out of my mind! I think I know where he’ll hole up during this upcoming storm. Now without all the other human activity and scent left by others he seems to be more visual.I’ll keep working on him and keep ya posted. Need a wind with north in it.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

It’s NEVER enough!!

Good luck, I vote to stay after him until the bottom of 9th with 2 outs. Tag soup isn’t that bad.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thats what Id do too is just wait him out, when everythings considered hunting him is what you want. Maybe at the last shooting 1/2 hour take a doe for the table, good luck in getting him.

witte
    West Salem, WI

If you shot a doe you’d be sitting at home wondering if was walking by your stand each night. I’m still out after mine almost every night. Good Luck – looking forward to hearing about your next encounter.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I agree with others, keep at him. With it being late season I would also not be too afraid to push the envelope. If they herd is coming out at dark. Move back in off the edge further. If you bust him out now, not a big deal as season is almost over with and not many people in the woods right now hunting. We do this quite often in ND when I hunt up there late season. The other thing in your favor you have the food even if you bust him out, his instincts will take over and his need for food right now will probably have him still in your area, he just might come out even later.

Saturday night I had an encounter with a shooter and he came off his bed @ 4:58PM and I had 5 minutes left too shoot. He came at me until 70 yards and took a left. I tried to grunt at him. I stopped him and grabbed his attention. But he continued on, I grunted again and he spooked. Those big boys are big for a reason, but they do let their guard down in the late season to get food. Keep at it and I would continue move in on him and get closer to his bed giving you more shooting light. They usually do not bed too far from their food when it gets nasty cold out. Less movement = less calories needed. Good Luck

JacobNohner

Only U can make that choice (THE MOMENT OF TRUTH)

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

you will be kicking yourself if you give up now I agree with a few others in that if he doesn’t show in the last 10-15 minutes, take a doe

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

The more encounters and history that you have with a buck, the sweeter the feeling when you are finally able to put him on the ground. Keep on him and don’t settle for another deer. It will be enough on Jan. 1st.

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

You know it would happen if your gutting out a doe. He’d sneak up and see what your doing! Wait if you don’t, you’ll regret it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.