Game Camera’s?

• norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Looking at updateing my game cameras. What do you guys recomend for quality and ease of use?

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

I have been extremely impressed with my new HCO Scoutgaurd camera. It has very quick trigger speed, 5 megapixels daytime pictures make the quality worth framing and battery life is second to none.

When we got this camera in early Oct. of this year we put the 8 AA batteries in and it still shows 3/4 battery life and it had not been out of the woods since the day we got it. That is absolutely unheard of battery life! The cost of a camera is only one part, if you have to replace those C or D cell battery’s every week the price of having hte camera goes up significantly. I am going to be investing in a couple more of these camera’s by next season.

I believe the retail on this camera is in the $230-250 range.

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

I should also add that this camera takes AVI movies as well as pictures and the camera comes with a small color viewer that you take with you into the woods and can look at the pics in the field without having to replace cards. This is also unheard off in other camera systems.

lick

I love my cuddeback captures but they are a little harder on batteries then I expected

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

This is the camera I’m looking at getting.

Bushnell

Price

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

im satisfied w/ my Bushnell Trophy cam $200 for it and the batteries will last anywhere from 6 months to a year By the way, whatever happened to the “IDO discount”

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

My Moultrie D-40’s have been very good (basic picture and daytime videos), but not near the battery life you guys are stating for the Bushnell-might have to look into that battery life.
    How are they in the cold weather? Seems most cameras fall off in the low temps.

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Seems the Bushnell and HCO Scoutgaurd have almost the exact same specs, possibly made by the same company? Battery life alone make one of these two leaders in my book and they do not lose out on quality of picture or trigger speed.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

I agree with Scott B. on this one. i have cuddy’s, moultre I 40’s, wildview, and scout Guard 550sg cameras. my 1st scout guard was set on video mode and took more than 2000 10 second videos before the batteries gave up! they are so small that theft becomes a non-issue. the bushnell is the same hco camera installed into the bushnell case. as of now between myself and friends we have 17 up and running with no problems.

mille-lacs-guy
    Chaska, MN

I’ll second the HCO Scoutguard. I have two cheap Moultie cameras that work alright and when it got cold last week they wouldn’t take any pictures and the HCO took excellent pics with 8 AA batteries. Here’s a couple example photos from the HCO.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Last time I checked the Scout Guard and Bushnell were made by the same company with the Bushnell receiving a few upgrades.

I would also throw Moultrie’s I40 against those two camera for performance. Not as portable but IMO the picture and video quality are right there if not better. The one thing I love about the Moultrie over the Bushnell is it can take a picture and a movie where the Bushnell can only take one or the other, not both.

IMO the best cameras on the market for $200 or less are the Bushnell, Moultrie I40 and I50!

les_welch

Quote:

Last time I checked the Scout Guard and Bushnell were made by the same company with the Bushnell receiving a few upgrades.

I would also throw Moultrie’s I40 against those two camera for performance. Not as portable but IMO the picture and video quality are right there if not better. The one thing I love about the Moultrie over the Bushnell is it can take a picture and a movie where the Bushnell can only take one or the other, not both.

IMO the best cameras on the market for $200 or less are the Bushnell, Moultrie I40 and I50!

x2, and the I40’s are on sale at Cabelas right now for 169.99. Norseman Scheels will also match that price.

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

You can find the D-40’s on sale low as $69.00, at times. Regularly, $98.00. right about the cold weather dropping the working ability-might get a bushnell for that use but utilize the D-40’s for rest of season. I like the I40’s as well (buddy has one). My D-40 trigger speeds and wake up speeds have been very acceptable. –other than cold weather(in the single digits and below).

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

Ive got several cuddes and love em ..but I am going to get a Bushnell trophy cam as Ive been hearing some good reviews and its got video capability.

offthewall
    Ham Lake ,MN

Fleet Farm has the moultrie I40 on sale with a security box for $175 I have a I40 and I love it the set of batterys lasted fron June 28 – Dec 8 and took around 3500 pics

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

Scout guard, Bushnell and also Covert are pretty much the same camera. I have one Covert and I am very happy with it. Once you set it up at home it’s just a on/off switch after that. Very Simple.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

WOW! Thanks for all the info! That gives me a starting point. I’m thinking on buying 4-5 so wanted to make a good choice.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Honestly if that is the case I would buy a couple of different ones and then from then on if you buy more, you know which one you prefer!

On certain locations I prefer the Moultrie and others I like the Bushnell. Just something else to think about!

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

I found a website offering the Scoutgaurd, 2gb card, and card reader for $229 with free shipping. Does that sound reasonable? They also have a package that has all the above and a security box for $258 shipped free.Would you recomend a card reader?

mec
    West Salem,WI

Wow,OfftheWall,Those are some big bucks!!Did you get one of them?

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Its a Christmas special. I might get 2. Would you get the security box?

mille-lacs-guy
    Chaska, MN

I got the security box and I like it just because it is really simple to mount on a tree to hold the camera. Without the security box I don’t know how you would mount it. Also, it is nice to be able to lock it with the security box. Worth the money in my opinion.

offthewall
    Ham Lake ,MN

No i did not shoot any of them pic #1 is about a 120″ 2 year old Pic #2&3 are both 3 year olds and about 130″to 135″ and I passed on them but #4 on the other hand is a 4 or 5 year old 165″ to 170″ that I call MR. T and I missed him in late Oct only to see him and be teased by him 13 more times without giveing me another shot but he is still out there

by the way I shot over him

here is a little better pic that I zoomed in on

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

WOW!!

les_welch

Quote:

Its a Christmas special. I might get 2. Would you get the security box?

Would you mind pm’ing or posting that website. Thanks.

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

I found the camera Chritmas sPECIAL @ Best Game Camera.Com website if interested.

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

WOW!!

Mr. T alright…Mr. TANK!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

If anyone is interested in purchasing the Bushnell Trophy Cam – please send me a PM. I’m in the process of negotiating a volume discount.

BBushy
    Moorhead, Minnesota

Hey Offthewall,
    That thing is a Monster. Just think next year he’ll be bigger.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.