Kris’s first buck.

• norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Last night was a highlite of my deer hunting so far. The land we lease has been on a qdm program for several years now.We discourage harvesting any bucks unless ya plan on taking them to the taxadermist. So as you might expect we see alot of bucks. Even my granddaughters pass on 1 1/2 year old bucks.Both granddaughters have filled on barren does. My wife has her eye on a dandy 150+4 1/2 year old. All my boys besides bow hunting perfer to hunt trophy bucks with blackpowder. that leaves my daughter Kris. She and I went last night. She is a very patient hunter. Although it really tough on her to see all these small bucks pass by without shooting. But understands QDM.After many small bucks went through finally a large buck aproaches her stand. This buck is old. Its face is all grey. Its rack is about 20 inches wide but has only 6 real short points on a wide heavy sweeping beams. As it gets closer to her it gets wind of her and sweeps wide of her to get a better smell. At about 45 yards Kris figures its now or never. She fires with her 20 ga….. misses! The runs out about 100 yards, stands there like a statue. I lokked him over good with binoculars to make sure he hadn’t been hit. No clean miss! after a few minutes he trots off a little wiser. Kris comes to my stand sobbing. She’s spent alot of hours on stand and knows this was her shot. After a littls fatherly prep talk she trudges back to her stand. Almost like God was watching the all this transpire I look to Kris’s left only to see a wide beamed tall 8 pointer aproaching her stand. I don’t think she spotted it right away. When she did I seen her flinch. As it got to about 20 yards I seen her raise her gun and fire. It dropped like a rock! I expected her to get out of her stand but didn’t. Minutes passed and still didn’t. So I get down and walk over to her and ask if she’s getting down. She says shes shaking so bad she just can’t right now. After a few minutes and some encouraging words she shakenly gets down. We shows me the direction were it folded. We walk up to the area to find a dandy 130 inch 8 pointer. After a few minutes of highfiving, hugging and celibrating we began the chore of dragging it back and field dressing. It was kRises first buck and it was a dandy. For me it was a reminder why this sport is sooo great. I will allways remember Kris’s first buck!

johnsy
    Mantorville, Mn

thats awesome congrats to you both
    You just never know whats going to happen out there
    Now lets see a pic of that deer and happy hunter

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

Quote:

thats awesome congrats to you both
    You just never know whats going to happen out there
    Now lets see a pic of that deer and happy hunter

The only we got were on my disposable camera and I have 20 pics to go to fill it. When done I’ll post “Deer camp 2009”.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Awesome, as a father of 3 daughters, I hope one or two will take up hunting with me. Can’t wait to see the pics.

bob_bergeson
    cannon falls

Congratulations! there is nothing more satisfiying than taking a son or daughter on their first succesfull hunt!

coppertop
    Central MN

Very well done Kris! That is doosie for a first buck!

lick

Great story thanks for sharing

big_g
    Isle, MN

Good job Kris… the miss probably turned out for the best Can’t wait for the pics

chev70
    SW Wisconsin

Great story
    Congrats to Kris

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.