Picture of Deer Vitals

• robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Just thought I would post this for reference and possible discssuion for those wondering where the vitals were exactly. .

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Thanks Rob its been awhile since I’ve seen a picture of where they are. I thought they were about 4″ higher then this picture shows. When I shoot I try for a heart shot and would have hit the lungs, thanks for refeshing my memory.

lick

i know where they arent

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Are the vitals any different on a doe

I’ll be sure to pass this on to a buddy of mine. This past weekend he hit two does, both high and over the vitals Needless to say I wasted countless hours this weekend tracking blood no worse than a moderate nose bleed.

I on the other hand was able to connect with the first doe of the year, and rub it in tremendously!

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

Quote:

I try for a heart shot and would have hit the lungs,

I use to aim for the heart also, however now I only go for lungs alot less chance of hitting the leg or shoulder and IMO the deer go down fasterwith a double lung shot than a heart shot. also if you miss judge yardage and shoot a little low yo will still be ok. just a idea for ya.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

i always aim for the heart. Deer will duck more often than you think especially mature bucks and does. The louder your bow, probably the better chance you have at getting a deer to duck. If the deer ducks, the arrow will still hit the lungs probably pretty perfect

toddcarnes
    Milan IL

Thats a good point,I personaly rarely shoot over 20 yardsand never had a problem with shooting them high at that distance and less but I can see where if they where out further that could be A problem. I also aim a little lower when the deer is not completley relaxed. I guess it is more of a judgement call when its crunch time.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I also tend to shoot lower third of body. for reasons mentioned, but also if you look that is where the vitals are almost centered.

Gutone4me

ferny
    Stillwater, MN

Awesome pic! Do you have a full size copy?
    I guess I can adjust my aiming point a little up and forward after seeing this. I have always aimed just behind the front shoulder. I think I should bring it up a bit for more lung safe zone!

Ferny.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Great post Rob and a reminder to us all on where the shot placement should be. Here’s a birds eye view.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

One more look with bone structure.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

A friendly Reminder Bump!

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Its good to have this picture come up every year.

herefishyfishy
    MN

how could i miss those lungs??? They look like such a big target

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Bump!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.