Experiences with doe-in-heat scents

• pahaarstad
    metro

The only scent that has worked from me is the trails end 307. I have tried some other one with on luck. I do not know if it pulled them in or not but it did give me a few extra sec. to get a better shot.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

This is a good subject. It dosen’t hurt at all to put yourself in the right tree, thats no. 2 in my book after scent control. You have to be in the right spot to see anything. I look for tracks along field edges and trails leading from and too anywhere. Bucks search continouly for does that are coming into heat and will follow continously until shes ready for breeding. A guys got to hunt an area where does fequient because thats where the bucks are going to be. A good area to hunt is between two feeding areas, the trails that lead too and from.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

This is a good subject. It dosen’t hurt at all to put yourself in the right tree, thats no. 2 in my book after scent control. You have to be in the right spot to see anything. I look for tracks along field edges and trails leading from and too anywhere. Bucks search continouly for does that are coming into heat and will follow continously until shes ready for breeding. A guys got to hunt an area where does fequient because thats where the bucks are going to be. A good area to hunt is between two feeding areas, the trails that lead too and from.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Tacket- Great Post! I am glad you posted! I agree with your stance 100%! I have had bucks do the same exact thing, turn, tuck tail, and run from Mrs Doe Pee. I have even had the same experience while using rubber gloves(which, now I don’t, because they smell like rubber, or latex…). It could have been to early, or the scent could have spoiled, or EVEN it could have been the perfect scent at the perfect time, and for some reason, the whitetail’s nature didn’t like it. WHO knows?

However I have had enough success with it, to be a firm believer in it. A ton of great points have been brought up in these thread. I also believe that a scent is a tool- it is not always needed, and majority of the time not needed. But there are some cases, for me, especially during lock-down, I use every single tool in my arsenal to try and bag a trophy whitetail. Lock-Down is about the only time of year I will use a scent.

Like others have stated- Being in the right stand, with the right wind, and being prepared to the extreme, are the basics. Whatever else that contributes to your success is great!
    Good luck hunting this year guys! Great thread!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Tacket- Great Post! I am glad you posted! I agree with your stance 100%! I have had bucks do the same exact thing, turn, tuck tail, and run from Mrs Doe Pee. I have even had the same experience while using rubber gloves(which, now I don’t, because they smell like rubber, or latex…). It could have been to early, or the scent could have spoiled, or EVEN it could have been the perfect scent at the perfect time, and for some reason, the whitetail’s nature didn’t like it. WHO knows?

However I have had enough success with it, to be a firm believer in it. A ton of great points have been brought up in these thread. I also believe that a scent is a tool- it is not always needed, and majority of the time not needed. But there are some cases, for me, especially during lock-down, I use every single tool in my arsenal to try and bag a trophy whitetail. Lock-Down is about the only time of year I will use a scent.

Like others have stated- Being in the right stand, with the right wind, and being prepared to the extreme, are the basics. Whatever else that contributes to your success is great!
    Good luck hunting this year guys! Great thread!

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.