Experiences with doe-in-heat scents

• yeahmon
    Winona, MN

It has been a few years since I have used any doe-in-heat scents because of some bad experiences and was thinking of doing so again this year. What have your experiences been with them and what brands have worked for you? How about Tink’s #69?

I stopped using them for a few years after having a few does and smaller bucks snort sometimes and run away from my scent as I used a scent drag on my way to my stand. It seemed to really spook them for some reason. Anyone have any experiences like this or have any explanations?

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

The only thing i could think of is that they winded you or it was too early to use estrous scent Were they downwind of you when they came in? It’s kind of like when using a decoy. Some deer can’t stand it (usually does)

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

The only thing i could think of is that they winded you or it was too early to use estrous scent Were they downwind of you when they came in? It’s kind of like when using a decoy. Some deer can’t stand it (usually does)

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I have had very good luck with scents. I recommend trying to get one that is bottled/collected from MN deer. I assume that is where you are hunting.
    A couple of things I like to keep in mind when using/buying scents.
    Where does it come from? I buy Mrs. Doe Pee, it is collected from an Iowa herd less than 50 miles from where I hunt. I suggest staying local because different geographic deer, eat different things, which means different smell in the scents. I wouldn’t want to use a scent that was bottled/collected in Texas for use in Iowa. I bought four different bottles from Texas, arkansas, Iowa, and somewhere else.. They each smelled uniquely different. Deer have a MUCH better sense of smell than we do, so I am sure the difference to the deer is much more dramatic. I believe using a scent gathered from a Texas deer will spook a mature Iowa whitetail every single time. Maybe not a young doe or buck- but for sure those mature ones.

I also believe in only laying scent down natural. Which means dripping it straight from the bottle to the ground, in a manner which is consistent with how a deer would do it. Scents high in the air don’t make much sense to me, as a deer doesn’t pee 5-10 off the ground. Nor do they lay scent with a drag rag.

My best piece of advice is to keep it as natural as possible. Also be careful with how much human scent you are spreading when you are laying out deer scent.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

I have had very good luck with scents. I recommend trying to get one that is bottled/collected from MN deer. I assume that is where you are hunting.
    A couple of things I like to keep in mind when using/buying scents.
    Where does it come from? I buy Mrs. Doe Pee, it is collected from an Iowa herd less than 50 miles from where I hunt. I suggest staying local because different geographic deer, eat different things, which means different smell in the scents. I wouldn’t want to use a scent that was bottled/collected in Texas for use in Iowa. I bought four different bottles from Texas, arkansas, Iowa, and somewhere else.. They each smelled uniquely different. Deer have a MUCH better sense of smell than we do, so I am sure the difference to the deer is much more dramatic. I believe using a scent gathered from a Texas deer will spook a mature Iowa whitetail every single time. Maybe not a young doe or buck- but for sure those mature ones.

I also believe in only laying scent down natural. Which means dripping it straight from the bottle to the ground, in a manner which is consistent with how a deer would do it. Scents high in the air don’t make much sense to me, as a deer doesn’t pee 5-10 off the ground. Nor do they lay scent with a drag rag.

My best piece of advice is to keep it as natural as possible. Also be careful with how much human scent you are spreading when you are laying out deer scent.

yeahmon
    Winona, MN

I hunt in WI in Buffalo County and was thinking the same thing about doe scent collected from different areas of the country and that it might have an unnatural smell for this area. I distinctly remember the last time I used it. I was downwind from where that buck came in. He smelled that scent, turned around and went right back where he came from. It was the 1st week in November so the time should have been right on and I wear rubber boots and always dig my feet into the ground in a corn field on my way to my stand to make sure every little bit of scent of mine is gone. I’ll have to try and find the most locally bottled doe in heat scent and give it a try. And like you said, I’m trying to keep things as natural as possible.

yeahmon
    Winona, MN

I hunt in WI in Buffalo County and was thinking the same thing about doe scent collected from different areas of the country and that it might have an unnatural smell for this area. I distinctly remember the last time I used it. I was downwind from where that buck came in. He smelled that scent, turned around and went right back where he came from. It was the 1st week in November so the time should have been right on and I wear rubber boots and always dig my feet into the ground in a corn field on my way to my stand to make sure every little bit of scent of mine is gone. I’ll have to try and find the most locally bottled doe in heat scent and give it a try. And like you said, I’m trying to keep things as natural as possible.

shayla

I have to believe bucks are smart enough to know the difference between a scent soaked cotton ball and a pint-sized puddle of REAL doe pee. Wouldn’t they go crazy if they ran to every 1oz. dab of fake pee dribbled about the woods? Besides, most of the pee in bottles is collected from deer that eat “dog-food”…they ain’t eating what real deer are eating and bucks know the difference. I think the fact that anyone ever shot a deer over a tinks69 soaked cotton ball comes down to shear curiosity. You could probably do just as well with finger nail polish…

Scent heightens a deer’s awareness, and that is something I can do without. Also, next time you hear someone complaining about the price of gas think about what a gallon of buck lure would cost!!!

shayla

I have to believe bucks are smart enough to know the difference between a scent soaked cotton ball and a pint-sized puddle of REAL doe pee. Wouldn’t they go crazy if they ran to every 1oz. dab of fake pee dribbled about the woods? Besides, most of the pee in bottles is collected from deer that eat “dog-food”…they ain’t eating what real deer are eating and bucks know the difference. I think the fact that anyone ever shot a deer over a tinks69 soaked cotton ball comes down to shear curiosity. You could probably do just as well with finger nail polish…

Scent heightens a deer’s awareness, and that is something I can do without. Also, next time you hear someone complaining about the price of gas think about what a gallon of buck lure would cost!!!

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Quote:

Besides, most of the pee in bottles is collected from deer that eat “dog-food”…

That is not true with where I buy mine from-

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Quote:

shayla

Quote:

Quote:

Really? Do they feed them red osier dogwood, beaked hazel, bunchberry, old-mans beard, honeysuckle, blue-bead lily, leatherleaf, labrador tea, popple leaves, mountain maple, hazel nuts, sweet fern, and a host of a million other natural selections? I stand behind my statement that bucks know the difference. Good Hunting!

shayla

Quote:

Quote:

Really? Do they feed them red osier dogwood, beaked hazel, bunchberry, old-mans beard, honeysuckle, blue-bead lily, leatherleaf, labrador tea, popple leaves, mountain maple, hazel nuts, sweet fern, and a host of a million other natural selections? I stand behind my statement that bucks know the difference. Good Hunting!

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

You guys have to remember, that most of the “doe-in-heat” scents that are at our local retailers have been on the shelf for 1,2,3 months or more…there is no way that anyone can have that many doe’s in captivity to bottle it. I am trying this year, Bordercrossing Scents VS-1. There is only a limited amount of “doe-in-heat” available. There site is: bordercrossingscents.com
    On the Outdoor Channel, on “The American Archer”, they had an demonstration on how to use the scent, an more specifically, WHEN to use it… During the “RUT”, in Minnesota, RUT usually starts after the full moon Oct. 26th, In the area I bow hunt, Anoka County, Nov 3rd – Nov 13th, seems to be the time for the BIG BUCKS to be on the move.

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

You guys have to remember, that most of the “doe-in-heat” scents that are at our local retailers have been on the shelf for 1,2,3 months or more…there is no way that anyone can have that many doe’s in captivity to bottle it. I am trying this year, Bordercrossing Scents VS-1. There is only a limited amount of “doe-in-heat” available. There site is: bordercrossingscents.com
    On the Outdoor Channel, on “The American Archer”, they had an demonstration on how to use the scent, an more specifically, WHEN to use it… During the “RUT”, in Minnesota, RUT usually starts after the full moon Oct. 26th, In the area I bow hunt, Anoka County, Nov 3rd – Nov 13th, seems to be the time for the BIG BUCKS to be on the move.

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

One of my friends used “Special Golden Estrus” in 2005 season, this buck came in from a drag he did, shot it 30 yards out, scored – net 163.

craig daugherty
    Osseo, Mn

One of my friends used “Special Golden Estrus” in 2005 season, this buck came in from a drag he did, shot it 30 yards out, scored – net 163.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Correct, they do not- they mainly feed them-
    Alfalfa
    Brassicas
    Clover
    Roundup Ready Corn and Soybeans
    Cereal Grains and Cover Crops
    Field Peas
    Switchgrass
    Native Warm Season Grass

I have been told the diet is mainly in soybean and corn, which where I hunt, that is 90% of the diet during the pre rut and rut.

I am not disagreeing with you, I believe bucks can tell the difference too. That is why I want my scent to be as close to natural as possible.

Craig, I agree with you too- I don’t believe that most big manufacturers have fresh scents. Again, that is why I buy from a place less than 50 miles from my hunting area. I know where my scent is coming from, how it is collected, and what the population is fed.

luke_haugland
    Iowa City, Iowa

Correct, they do not- they mainly feed them-
    Alfalfa
    Brassicas
    Clover
    Roundup Ready Corn and Soybeans
    Cereal Grains and Cover Crops
    Field Peas
    Switchgrass
    Native Warm Season Grass

I have been told the diet is mainly in soybean and corn, which where I hunt, that is 90% of the diet during the pre rut and rut.

I am not disagreeing with you, I believe bucks can tell the difference too. That is why I want my scent to be as close to natural as possible.

Craig, I agree with you too- I don’t believe that most big manufacturers have fresh scents. Again, that is why I buy from a place less than 50 miles from my hunting area. I know where my scent is coming from, how it is collected, and what the population is fed.

catmando
    wis

this is a little extreme but during the rut i carry a tupperware container and when i find doe urine with blood in it i scoop it up, of course their has to be snow to find it. It seems to work.

catmando
    wis

this is a little extreme but during the rut i carry a tupperware container and when i find doe urine with blood in it i scoop it up, of course their has to be snow to find it. It seems to work.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I agree Luke, when I used to shoot at the archery range The owner Kelly knew Dan Collora personaly and hunted with him. I got the story on how he raises and bottles the scent too keep it fresh until (thawed), this is the guy who shot the worlds record with bow about 6 years ago in southern Iowa. He has his own deer herd and puts them under lights to shorten the day to bring thier systems into estrous. They are put in private pens that have a bottom tray that collects the Does urin when shes in total estrous and not befor and not after. The pans are cleaned after every collection from each doe and when they have another doe come in they do the same until all the does are collected from and collection is at the end of this does cycle. This keeps the system as clean as possible so far. They then filter this urin with a non scent filtering system to strain out all the sediment from defacating if they do, and bottle it into plastic bottles and it is frozen immediately, they have worked out all the bugs from thier collection system and process and have it down to a science. One thing about this guys way of doing it, is once the does are done with giving thats all they collect and thats all they have to sell. They don’t water it down or cut it in any way, his doe pee is the real thing. Ive used mrs doe pee and when you open a bottle you can tell its the real thing.

I know a few things work to lay the scent down and to me and others around here as long as its human scent free it will work. You have too keep the bottle of doe pee as cold as possible to keep it from going to an ammonia smell and it dosen’t take long to do that because its already body waist. This is part of the reason I like to wait until around the first of November and keep the bottle of doe pee in my outside coat pocket, I go out of my way to make sure the bottle stays cool all day. I’ve seen a couple bucks when the moisture on the ground was good come across a scent trail and follow it like a blood hound the other direction because the scent was stonger from where this hunter started and weakened to his tree stand. Its a good idea too freshen up the drag rag every 20 to 30 yards in my opinion and it only takes a few drops to sweeten the rag up a little.

When im too my stand I bring a clean baggie and put it into it because the older bag may have already spoiled and gone too ammonia if its border line cold even though it may not smell like it.

One thing about a doe and this information is from a guy I used to shoot 3’ds with is that a doe is constantly peeing when shes in heat and thier hoofs are wet most of the time from this pee and totally loaded with scent. Jamie, the guy that raises these deer, said that one of the best ways to collect this urin is from a spot that the doe just peed in, just scrap it up off the ground and keep it frozen until you use it. Jamie now bottles his own from his deer and this is what im going to use this year, he lives just 5 minutes from town here so its fresh. If I want to know if the does are in heat yet I can just call Jamie or go and see him and ask him what his does are doing. The bucks are ready to go here but not the does, they will be in a few weeks.

Theres a new scent laying system thats just been patented and manufactured, I don’t remember the companys name but this scent stick is filled with the amount of pee you want to lay down. The stick is about an inch wide and 4 ft. long and all you do is push it on the ground and the wick on the bottom of the stick applys the pee when and where you want it and its the same amount every time so theres no trail weekening, its the same from end to end of a scent trail. They have them forsale at Gander here in town and are anufactured in Farefield Iowa very close to where the worlds record bowkill was shot. I seen him the other night at Gander and he put on a demonstration on red rosin paper on the floor and they do look like they will work just great, im going to buy one and thier $20 here. Call Gander and maybe they have them at all the stores now.

I know tinks 69 is good because i’ve heard too many good things about it from guys over the years that have bowhunted for along time, i’ve never used it because I use Mrs doepee. I totally agree with not hunting with a scent from anywhere but where your from if you can find it. If a guy can’t Id use a scent that come from deer thats been fed corn, beans or alfalfa because deer can’t tell if its been planted or not and chances are they have wandered over a bean or corn field if there isn’t that many. For the areas that don’t have these fields I don’t know what to do but would try using tinks69.

Scent trails do work and they have to be put down right, I’ll never forget this buck coming across this perticular trail. He had his nose to the ground and was going bananas trying to find this does trail that he could sniff in the air, he was darned near on a run. When he found the trail he almost lost his footing with his nose totally on the ground and in a few seconds he was gone. He followed this trail for about 75 yrds on almost a full trot just like a bluetick, this buck was determined to find this doe. Scent trails to me do work and have to be put down right with fresh doe pee that hasen’t gone bad yet.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I agree Luke, when I used to shoot at the archery range The owner Kelly knew Dan Collora personaly and hunted with him. I got the story on how he raises and bottles the scent too keep it fresh until (thawed), this is the guy who shot the worlds record with bow about 6 years ago in southern Iowa. He has his own deer herd and puts them under lights to shorten the day to bring thier systems into estrous. They are put in private pens that have a bottom tray that collects the Does urin when shes in total estrous and not befor and not after. The pans are cleaned after every collection from each doe and when they have another doe come in they do the same until all the does are collected from and collection is at the end of this does cycle. This keeps the system as clean as possible so far. They then filter this urin with a non scent filtering system to strain out all the sediment from defacating if they do, and bottle it into plastic bottles and it is frozen immediately, they have worked out all the bugs from thier collection system and process and have it down to a science. One thing about this guys way of doing it, is once the does are done with giving thats all they collect and thats all they have to sell. They don’t water it down or cut it in any way, his doe pee is the real thing. Ive used mrs doe pee and when you open a bottle you can tell its the real thing.

I know a few things work to lay the scent down and to me and others around here as long as its human scent free it will work. You have too keep the bottle of doe pee as cold as possible to keep it from going to an ammonia smell and it dosen’t take long to do that because its already body waist. This is part of the reason I like to wait until around the first of November and keep the bottle of doe pee in my outside coat pocket, I go out of my way to make sure the bottle stays cool all day. I’ve seen a couple bucks when the moisture on the ground was good come across a scent trail and follow it like a blood hound the other direction because the scent was stonger from where this hunter started and weakened to his tree stand. Its a good idea too freshen up the drag rag every 20 to 30 yards in my opinion and it only takes a few drops to sweeten the rag up a little.

When im too my stand I bring a clean baggie and put it into it because the older bag may have already spoiled and gone too ammonia if its border line cold even though it may not smell like it.

One thing about a doe and this information is from a guy I used to shoot 3’ds with is that a doe is constantly peeing when shes in heat and thier hoofs are wet most of the time from this pee and totally loaded with scent. Jamie, the guy that raises these deer, said that one of the best ways to collect this urin is from a spot that the doe just peed in, just scrap it up off the ground and keep it frozen until you use it. Jamie now bottles his own from his deer and this is what im going to use this year, he lives just 5 minutes from town here so its fresh. If I want to know if the does are in heat yet I can just call Jamie or go and see him and ask him what his does are doing. The bucks are ready to go here but not the does, they will be in a few weeks.

Theres a new scent laying system thats just been patented and manufactured, I don’t remember the companys name but this scent stick is filled with the amount of pee you want to lay down. The stick is about an inch wide and 4 ft. long and all you do is push it on the ground and the wick on the bottom of the stick applys the pee when and where you want it and its the same amount every time so theres no trail weekening, its the same from end to end of a scent trail. They have them forsale at Gander here in town and are anufactured in Farefield Iowa very close to where the worlds record bowkill was shot. I seen him the other night at Gander and he put on a demonstration on red rosin paper on the floor and they do look like they will work just great, im going to buy one and thier $20 here. Call Gander and maybe they have them at all the stores now.

I know tinks 69 is good because i’ve heard too many good things about it from guys over the years that have bowhunted for along time, i’ve never used it because I use Mrs doepee. I totally agree with not hunting with a scent from anywhere but where your from if you can find it. If a guy can’t Id use a scent that come from deer thats been fed corn, beans or alfalfa because deer can’t tell if its been planted or not and chances are they have wandered over a bean or corn field if there isn’t that many. For the areas that don’t have these fields I don’t know what to do but would try using tinks69.

Scent trails do work and they have to be put down right, I’ll never forget this buck coming across this perticular trail. He had his nose to the ground and was going bananas trying to find this does trail that he could sniff in the air, he was darned near on a run. When he found the trail he almost lost his footing with his nose totally on the ground and in a few seconds he was gone. He followed this trail for about 75 yrds on almost a full trot just like a bluetick, this buck was determined to find this doe. Scent trails to me do work and have to be put down right with fresh doe pee that hasen’t gone bad yet.

TACKET
    NE Iowa

This is an interesting topic as I have mixed reviews on using scents. Basically have not even tried them for 6-10 years because of poor success.
    Before I get into the story I’m about to tell I want to let you know I rarely post on this site, but read them daily as well as other forums.
    A little bit about myself so you don’t think I have any experience in bow hunting what so ever. This is not trying to brag here people just stating some facts. I’ve been bow hunting since I was 12 years old and am now 49 so I’ve been in the woods a few times. I trophy hunt only now and have taken 12 p&y bucks and 1 bc buck that scored over 200″.
    I am anal about scent control and have shot a number of bucks that have been taken down wind of me.
    So here is what happened to me that caused me to stop using scents.
    1st part of nov. a few years back I used the Mrs. Doe Pees product. Drag raged with rubber gloves, etc. the whole shot. On stand only about a 1/2 hr. and a big 10 point shows up probably a 160ish” deer. No ? about shooting this deer.
    Any way he’s coming absolutely perfect! until he hits the scent trail I laid out. Turned around GONE! very dissapointing as he would of been cake. He was like 15yds. away and coming to me at a 45 degree angle just needed to wait.
    So in my mind I’m thinking if I didn’t put the scent out I would of been better off.
    I know some people have good luck with scents, but I’m not taking the chance anymore. I know Luke has good luck with his product and appears to me like he knows what he’s talking about. I just keep thinking it’s not often you get the chance at the buck of a lifetime to let something ruin it if he was coming anyway.
    Study the area you want your stand in and put it in the perfect tree there and you will be fine.

TACKET
    NE Iowa

This is an interesting topic as I have mixed reviews on using scents. Basically have not even tried them for 6-10 years because of poor success.
    Before I get into the story I’m about to tell I want to let you know I rarely post on this site, but read them daily as well as other forums.
    A little bit about myself so you don’t think I have any experience in bow hunting what so ever. This is not trying to brag here people just stating some facts. I’ve been bow hunting since I was 12 years old and am now 49 so I’ve been in the woods a few times. I trophy hunt only now and have taken 12 p&y bucks and 1 bc buck that scored over 200″.
    I am anal about scent control and have shot a number of bucks that have been taken down wind of me.
    So here is what happened to me that caused me to stop using scents.
    1st part of nov. a few years back I used the Mrs. Doe Pees product. Drag raged with rubber gloves, etc. the whole shot. On stand only about a 1/2 hr. and a big 10 point shows up probably a 160ish” deer. No ? about shooting this deer.
    Any way he’s coming absolutely perfect! until he hits the scent trail I laid out. Turned around GONE! very dissapointing as he would of been cake. He was like 15yds. away and coming to me at a 45 degree angle just needed to wait.
    So in my mind I’m thinking if I didn’t put the scent out I would of been better off.
    I know some people have good luck with scents, but I’m not taking the chance anymore. I know Luke has good luck with his product and appears to me like he knows what he’s talking about. I just keep thinking it’s not often you get the chance at the buck of a lifetime to let something ruin it if he was coming anyway.
    Study the area you want your stand in and put it in the perfect tree there and you will be fine.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I think whats important, like anything, is to be around the deer you want, use the scent at the correct time of the season and to use the right amount and proper placement. Too many people put too much effort into these products IMO. It can be a good tool to help, or be the complete right thing if one was going to pass you by and not offer a shot, or just screw you. I have shot whats getting to be quite a few real nice ones, all bow. Not one has came from using a scent and I don’t think I missed an opportunity due to not using a scent, I’m sure thats debateable.
    If you sit in the right spot at the right time, with the right wind, you’ll connect every year.
    If you hunt the same stand, all the time, wear it out, or just don’t take the time to figure out what the deer are doing and where and when a good buck will present itself to you, your wasting your time and no amount of scent will help.
    So IMO, do whatever, but the scent will only help some and can hurt too, if you put yourself within the range of the one you want.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I think whats important, like anything, is to be around the deer you want, use the scent at the correct time of the season and to use the right amount and proper placement. Too many people put too much effort into these products IMO. It can be a good tool to help, or be the complete right thing if one was going to pass you by and not offer a shot, or just screw you. I have shot whats getting to be quite a few real nice ones, all bow. Not one has came from using a scent and I don’t think I missed an opportunity due to not using a scent, I’m sure thats debateable.
    If you sit in the right spot at the right time, with the right wind, you’ll connect every year.
    If you hunt the same stand, all the time, wear it out, or just don’t take the time to figure out what the deer are doing and where and when a good buck will present itself to you, your wasting your time and no amount of scent will help.
    So IMO, do whatever, but the scent will only help some and can hurt too, if you put yourself within the range of the one you want.

jrrendler
    Mantorville, MN

Last year was my first year hunting so I don’t have much experience to share. My son and I wanted to use a scent so we kept it simple. We walked out 20 yards from the bushes we were sitting in and stuck a 3 foot stick in the ground and place a wick dipped in Special Golden Estrus on the stick…..kind of right out in the open in a field. At 5 minutes to 7:00 AM on the gun opener a buck comes running. You sure could tell he was interested in that scent. He circled way out and around…..we grunted some which now that I think about it should have pushed him away….my son shot him when he came in range. We will never know if he would ahve come into bow range. Keep in mind this was a young buck….probably 2 1/2 year.

Also, just this past weekend my son and I used Trail’s End #307 and had a buck walk to within 10-15 yards of him…again while he was standing on the ground. Not sure if it was the scent or not that pulled him in….this was probably a 3 1/2 year old. So far, so good for us.

jrrendler
    Mantorville, MN

Last year was my first year hunting so I don’t have much experience to share. My son and I wanted to use a scent so we kept it simple. We walked out 20 yards from the bushes we were sitting in and stuck a 3 foot stick in the ground and place a wick dipped in Special Golden Estrus on the stick…..kind of right out in the open in a field. At 5 minutes to 7:00 AM on the gun opener a buck comes running. You sure could tell he was interested in that scent. He circled way out and around…..we grunted some which now that I think about it should have pushed him away….my son shot him when he came in range. We will never know if he would ahve come into bow range. Keep in mind this was a young buck….probably 2 1/2 year.

Also, just this past weekend my son and I used Trail’s End #307 and had a buck walk to within 10-15 yards of him…again while he was standing on the ground. Not sure if it was the scent or not that pulled him in….this was probably a 3 1/2 year old. So far, so good for us.

pahaarstad
    metro

The only scent that has worked from me is the trails end 307. I have tried some other one with on luck. I do not know if it pulled them in or not but it did give me a few extra sec. to get a better shot.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.