Bow Sight

• mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I agree Rob and Muskyman, if your shots aren’t any farther then 30 to 35 yrds then shooting with a single pin will work because an arrow shoots reasonably flat at those yardages. We use too shoot 3-ds and i had a set of hoyt target pins that had a very small ball on the tip and we shot at alot of diffrent yardages and at diffrent decoys. Fox at 40 yrds up hill, bobcats at 10 yrds and deer everywhere in between and out to 50.

What i liked about the small tippped hoyt brass pins was that it was easy to move this small ball into place over your kill shot and over the whole decoy withut covering it up with the sight. When i first started shooting i had a set of sights that were bigger tipped and they covered the animal at farther yardages, i put on a set of small tipped pins and have never gone back.

I bought a bow from Tom Gursky here on the site and it came with a set of small tipped fibre optic sights and i was impressed with the small tip on the end of the pin. I shot this bow and with these new fine tipped optic sights im satisfied and see no need too change to anything else. A fine tipped pin is the sight for me.

I shot a 5 pin sight and had all pins sighted in from 10 yrds to 50 for 3-d shoots. We did quite a bit of driving to various shoots and i had my 50 yrd pin set dead nuts and could hit the kill zone on a bear, which is a 5″ circle and hit it most of the time at 50 yrds. I got use to using the pins and was confident at that yardage too.

If i had a shot at 50 that i know the arrow would get there befor he spooked i would be able to take it but it had to be the right shot for me to do that and my bow was set up to do that if the shot arose. My first consideration would be a fine tipped sight now matter how many i chose to shoot with. Shooting quite a bit at diffrent yardages and your eye comes to that tip almost automatically. The choice is strictly individual and what that person needs and wants to shoot at in all conditions.

herefishyfishy
    MN

I shot with one pin for years and then bought a new sight(3 years ago) and imediately took one pin off. I have one at twenty and one at forty though truth be told I highly doubt that I would shoot at a deer at that range. The forty is mainly for practice. To each his own. I have the fever BIG TIME!!! I have 89 pics off of three cameras and every day Im thinking about the upcoming season. Checking cameras tomorrow am, then shooting the glen del, and on the way home making two stops for permission. I have my fingers crossed.

herefishyfishy
    MN

I shot with one pin for years and then bought a new sight(3 years ago) and imediately took one pin off. I have one at twenty and one at forty though truth be told I highly doubt that I would shoot at a deer at that range. The forty is mainly for practice. To each his own. I have the fever BIG TIME!!! I have 89 pics off of three cameras and every day Im thinking about the upcoming season. Checking cameras tomorrow am, then shooting the glen del, and on the way home making two stops for permission. I have my fingers crossed.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Don’t get me wrong, i don’t have anything against 1 pin sights! In a way, i do like them for 3D shoots because you can adjust the vertical to almost a precise yardage (if that makes sense ) Whereas with horizontal multi pin sights you aim, for instance, in between your 30 and 40 yard pin for a 35 yard shot. But you don’t know if that arrow will hit at a 36, 37, 38 etc yardage. IMO, i wouldn’t recommend a 1 pin sight to people just starting to archery hunt! But some people are more steady than others

Anywho, i just checked a trail cam before i put up a stand yesturday and got one nice 8 pt that will make book and one that has a nice G2 will good mass. I could only make out the beam and the G2 b/c his head was facing away and feeding. So im excited to hunt the neighborhood this year

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Don’t get me wrong, i don’t have anything against 1 pin sights! In a way, i do like them for 3D shoots because you can adjust the vertical to almost a precise yardage (if that makes sense ) Whereas with horizontal multi pin sights you aim, for instance, in between your 30 and 40 yard pin for a 35 yard shot. But you don’t know if that arrow will hit at a 36, 37, 38 etc yardage. IMO, i wouldn’t recommend a 1 pin sight to people just starting to archery hunt! But some people are more steady than others

Anywho, i just checked a trail cam before i put up a stand yesturday and got one nice 8 pt that will make book and one that has a nice G2 will good mass. I could only make out the beam and the G2 b/c his head was facing away and feeding. So im excited to hunt the neighborhood this year

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I guess I thought I had a pretty fast bow, but maybe not???? I know it (Matthews Legacy) is not the fastest bow, but surely not slow even in todays world of fast Hutning bows. Also remember speed does not kill, accuracy does.

I have 4 pins on my bow and I might not use all of them for hunting, but my 20 and Under, 30, 40, & 50 yard yard pins are all different colors. I am about an 1.25″ High at 10 yards using my 20 yard pin not a big deal. However, if I try to use one pin all the way out to 35 yards, that would be a big deal. I tried to have one pin all the way out to 30 and do not remember the stats, but I did not like having such disparity. That is the reason I chose to have fixed pins for every 10 yards starting at 20 and found that works best for me. Remember bow hunting is the game of inches, seconds or sometimes hairs.

Now here are the reasons I do not like an adjustable sight.

1) More movement required with deer around me to set the distance.

2) Another thing to think about, in a perfect world I would love to Range every deer and know precisely the distance on every shot. However very rarely possible.

3) As mentioned earlier, I have a deer coming in and set the sight for what I beleive will be a 18 yard shot. I’m able to get a way with the movment to set the distance, now I’ come to full draw and the buck takes a different trail on me and now will come through my shooting lane at 32 yards. Now what?? Do I guess where 32 yards it at??? No I hate guessing and do not liek to take guessing shots at any der much less this monster. OR do I come out of Full draw, move my sight, and redraw again??? That is a ton of movement on a Record Class buck not to mention the 3 does I have out in front of me. If I had fixed pins there would not be one extra movement required. Just use the 30 yard pin in lieu of the 20 yard, pick a hair and let it fly.

4) Or perhaps I have him on the 12 yard trail and he picks up my movement from drawing the bow and he jumps out and stops broadside @ 34 yards. Now what?? I’m at full draw and on this calm crisp morning, with a Pope & Young 150″ 5×5 buck, @ 34 yards broad side and that is well within my comfort range with no wind. Everythign is perfect, except for the fact my adjustable sight is set at 12 yards. These mature bruisers only give you about 3-5 seconds to take a shot on them normally. He is now on alert and I have to let my bow down, move my sight and re draw. Do you really think he will still be there???? Possible, but I highly doubt it. I know if I had my vertical fixed pin sight, I would be eating venison tenderloins tonight.

This is jsut my opinion, but I will take my vertical fixed pins any day. The only down fall in my opinion to a fixed pin WAS; Having the multiple regular horizontal pins that blocked my view and did not let as much light in as the single pin fixed or adjustable. That was the one down fall I had with multiple fixed pins. Well, that was taken care of with Trophy Ridges sights with inline vertical pins. Now I have the looks of a single pin, with the ability to have multiple pins when those deer come in and have a different plan than what I had for them. We all know they never do that.

Just my $.02 on Single Fixed, Single Adjustable, Old Stlye Multiple Fixed Pins and Trophy Ridges Vertical Inline Multiple Fixed Pins.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I guess I thought I had a pretty fast bow, but maybe not???? I know it (Matthews Legacy) is not the fastest bow, but surely not slow even in todays world of fast Hutning bows. Also remember speed does not kill, accuracy does.

I have 4 pins on my bow and I might not use all of them for hunting, but my 20 and Under, 30, 40, & 50 yard yard pins are all different colors. I am about an 1.25″ High at 10 yards using my 20 yard pin not a big deal. However, if I try to use one pin all the way out to 35 yards, that would be a big deal. I tried to have one pin all the way out to 30 and do not remember the stats, but I did not like having such disparity. That is the reason I chose to have fixed pins for every 10 yards starting at 20 and found that works best for me. Remember bow hunting is the game of inches, seconds or sometimes hairs.

Now here are the reasons I do not like an adjustable sight.

1) More movement required with deer around me to set the distance.

2) Another thing to think about, in a perfect world I would love to Range every deer and know precisely the distance on every shot. However very rarely possible.

3) As mentioned earlier, I have a deer coming in and set the sight for what I beleive will be a 18 yard shot. I’m able to get a way with the movment to set the distance, now I’ come to full draw and the buck takes a different trail on me and now will come through my shooting lane at 32 yards. Now what?? Do I guess where 32 yards it at??? No I hate guessing and do not liek to take guessing shots at any der much less this monster. OR do I come out of Full draw, move my sight, and redraw again??? That is a ton of movement on a Record Class buck not to mention the 3 does I have out in front of me. If I had fixed pins there would not be one extra movement required. Just use the 30 yard pin in lieu of the 20 yard, pick a hair and let it fly.

4) Or perhaps I have him on the 12 yard trail and he picks up my movement from drawing the bow and he jumps out and stops broadside @ 34 yards. Now what?? I’m at full draw and on this calm crisp morning, with a Pope & Young 150″ 5×5 buck, @ 34 yards broad side and that is well within my comfort range with no wind. Everythign is perfect, except for the fact my adjustable sight is set at 12 yards. These mature bruisers only give you about 3-5 seconds to take a shot on them normally. He is now on alert and I have to let my bow down, move my sight and re draw. Do you really think he will still be there???? Possible, but I highly doubt it. I know if I had my vertical fixed pin sight, I would be eating venison tenderloins tonight.

This is jsut my opinion, but I will take my vertical fixed pins any day. The only down fall in my opinion to a fixed pin WAS; Having the multiple regular horizontal pins that blocked my view and did not let as much light in as the single pin fixed or adjustable. That was the one down fall I had with multiple fixed pins. Well, that was taken care of with Trophy Ridges sights with inline vertical pins. Now I have the looks of a single pin, with the ability to have multiple pins when those deer come in and have a different plan than what I had for them. We all know they never do that.

Just my $.02 on Single Fixed, Single Adjustable, Old Stlye Multiple Fixed Pins and Trophy Ridges Vertical Inline Multiple Fixed Pins.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Quote:

As mentioned earlier, I have a deer coming in and set the sight for what I beleive will be a 18 yard shot. I’m able to get a way with the movment to set the distance, now I’ come to full draw and the buck takes a different trail on me and now will come through my shooting lane at 32 yards. Now what?? Do I guess where 32 yards it at??? No I hate guessing and do not liek to take guessing shots at any der much less this monster. OR do I come out of Full draw, move my sight, and redraw again??? That is a ton of movement on a Record Class buck not to mention the 3 does I have out in front of me. If I had fixed pins there would not be one extra movement required. Just use the 30 yard pin in lieu of the 20 yard, pick a hair and let it fly.

Quote:

I considered this dilema having a one-pin adjustable sight and accordingly have practiced with my pin fixed at 20 yds and found a consistent 2.5″ drop at 30 yds. The key is practice and confidence. I have the confidence to harvest a deer at 30 -35 yds with my single pin because of practice. I don’t see how that’s any different than estimating between pins on a multiple pin sight. Just one’s preference.

I must say having the multiple sights out to…say 40-50 yds with practice has made me consider changing, but I’m happy staying within my shooting zone of 30+ yds if forced to shoot without moving my sight. However, if I’m able to safely move my sight to the longer distances…well, the confidence of placing my sight at the previously ranged trail of 43 yds and hitting my target at 43 yds would be higher than placing his vitals between two pins.

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Quote:

As mentioned earlier, I have a deer coming in and set the sight for what I beleive will be a 18 yard shot. I’m able to get a way with the movment to set the distance, now I’ come to full draw and the buck takes a different trail on me and now will come through my shooting lane at 32 yards. Now what?? Do I guess where 32 yards it at??? No I hate guessing and do not liek to take guessing shots at any der much less this monster. OR do I come out of Full draw, move my sight, and redraw again??? That is a ton of movement on a Record Class buck not to mention the 3 does I have out in front of me. If I had fixed pins there would not be one extra movement required. Just use the 30 yard pin in lieu of the 20 yard, pick a hair and let it fly.

Quote:

I considered this dilema having a one-pin adjustable sight and accordingly have practiced with my pin fixed at 20 yds and found a consistent 2.5″ drop at 30 yds. The key is practice and confidence. I have the confidence to harvest a deer at 30 -35 yds with my single pin because of practice. I don’t see how that’s any different than estimating between pins on a multiple pin sight. Just one’s preference.

I must say having the multiple sights out to…say 40-50 yds with practice has made me consider changing, but I’m happy staying within my shooting zone of 30+ yds if forced to shoot without moving my sight. However, if I’m able to safely move my sight to the longer distances…well, the confidence of placing my sight at the previously ranged trail of 43 yds and hitting my target at 43 yds would be higher than placing his vitals between two pins.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.