Bow Sight

• littlefishy
    Ellsworth, WI

I’m looking to replace my Cobra fiber optic sight and I would very much like to hear everyone’s opinion on what the best sight is for $125 or less. Doesn’t need to have alot of pins, I don’t shoot beyond 35 yards and I like the fiber optic lighted pins.

Thanks Guys

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

I selected the Cobra Sure-Lock 5 pin sight with my new Ross Cardiac earlier this year. It’s easy to adjust and very repeatable. I went with 0.019″ diameter pins which seem very good for target shooting and hopefully will work great for hunting this fall as well.

Depending on the speed of your bow, you might only need two pins.

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

I selected the Cobra Sure-Lock 5 pin sight with my new Ross Cardiac earlier this year. It’s easy to adjust and very repeatable. I went with 0.019″ diameter pins which seem very good for target shooting and hopefully will work great for hunting this fall as well.

Depending on the speed of your bow, you might only need two pins.

JaredRathbun
    Becker, MN

a Fuse or Toxonics 3 pin with the “half moon” steel pin holder and fiber optic coil are both nice sights. i just picked up a fuse for my mathews a month ago and i am very happy with it. you will be pushin $125 with either sight.

JaredRathbun
    Becker, MN

a Fuse or Toxonics 3 pin with the “half moon” steel pin holder and fiber optic coil are both nice sights. i just picked up a fuse for my mathews a month ago and i am very happy with it. you will be pushin $125 with either sight.

I spent a few hours talking with the guys over at A1 archery in hudson, and they reccomended the flashpoint brand of sights. They are photochromatic, and they recieve extra light in low light conditions, and less light in high light conditions. I picked up the 5 pin in camo for $115 at cabelas. I will be putting this sight on the new Mathew’s Drenalin, and needless to say, I am pumped to shoot this thing

I spent a few hours talking with the guys over at A1 archery in hudson, and they reccomended the flashpoint brand of sights. They are photochromatic, and they recieve extra light in low light conditions, and less light in high light conditions. I picked up the 5 pin in camo for $115 at cabelas. I will be putting this sight on the new Mathew’s Drenalin, and needless to say, I am pumped to shoot this thing

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Trophy Ridge if any. I have the 3 pin Matrix vertical pins for 20, 30, and 40 yards. It has a light on it that can be taken off or put on. It works awesome. The pins are bright under low light conditions and you can adjust them with no tools! I got it on ebay for 49$ with retail at 120-130

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Trophy Ridge if any. I have the 3 pin Matrix vertical pins for 20, 30, and 40 yards. It has a light on it that can be taken off or put on. It works awesome. The pins are bright under low light conditions and you can adjust them with no tools! I got it on ebay for 49$ with retail at 120-130

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Last year I went with a HHA OL-5000 single pin sight, it works well for me I found it here on the IDO Classifieds.

My moto is keep it simple

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Last year I went with a HHA OL5000 single pin sight, it works well for me I bought it used here on the site paid $50 not sure what they are new.
    My moto is keep it simple

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Trophy Ridge if any. I have the 3 pin Matrix vertical pins for 20, 30, and 40 yards. It has a light on it that can be taken off or put on. It works awesome. The pins are bright under low light conditions and you can adjust them with no tools!

Same here! I got the 5 pin modeland converted it to a 4 pin model. The vertical pins really opens / brightens up your sight and makes for viewing the animal and observing their behavior at the moment of truth a lot easier.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

Trophy Ridge if any. I have the 3 pin Matrix vertical pins for 20, 30, and 40 yards. It has a light on it that can be taken off or put on. It works awesome. The pins are bright under low light conditions and you can adjust them with no tools!

Same here! I got the 5 pin modeland converted it to a 4 pin model. The vertical pins really opens / brightens up your sight and makes for viewing the animal and observing their behavior at the moment of truth a lot easier.

littlefishy
    Ellsworth, WI

I see Cabela’s has the trophy ridge on sale, three pin model which would be good for what I need. Any insight on how well the light for the fiber optics works? They have two types, chem light sticks and battery powered, I’m more interested in battery.

littlefishy
    Ellsworth, WI

I see Cabela’s has the trophy ridge on sale, three pin model which would be good for what I need. Any insight on how well the light for the fiber optics works? They have two types, chem light sticks and battery powered, I’m more interested in battery.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

What model is it?? I have the matrix and the light takes 3 “watch” batteries that can be replaced obviously. It works great . Without the light, the brightness of the pins is still great!!! I just wanted to get a 3 pin vertical sight that could be adjusted when you have a deer a little farther than 40 yards.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

What model is it?? I have the matrix and the light takes 3 “watch” batteries that can be replaced obviously. It works great . Without the light, the brightness of the pins is still great!!! I just wanted to get a 3 pin vertical sight that could be adjusted when you have a deer a little farther than 40 yards.

littlefishy
    Ellsworth, WI

Same model I’m looking at, Matrix 3 pin.

littlefishy
    Ellsworth, WI

Same model I’m looking at, Matrix 3 pin.

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

if you do purchase that sight, you will like it!! I have a couple buddies that have a 1 pin vertical adjustable sight that whenever the yardage changes, you have to move the sight. IMO that could take away full consentration from your shot when you have a deer coming in. Plus, what happens when a deer suddenly spooks and runs farther when youre at full draw??? I think this sight could not be anymore reliable!!! BTW, it is a little heavy but you will get used to it

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

if you do purchase that sight, you will like it!! I have a couple buddies that have a 1 pin vertical adjustable sight that whenever the yardage changes, you have to move the sight. IMO that could take away full consentration from your shot when you have a deer coming in. Plus, what happens when a deer suddenly spooks and runs farther when youre at full draw??? I think this sight could not be anymore reliable!!! BTW, it is a little heavy but you will get used to it

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

i just looked on ebay and they have a couple Matrix sights for 50 bucks!!! Not a bad price when retail is 120

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

i just looked on ebay and they have a couple Matrix sights for 50 bucks!!! Not a bad price when retail is 120

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

I have a couple buddies that have a 1 pin vertical adjustable sight that whenever the yardage changes, you have to move the sight. IMO that could take away full consentration from your shot when you have a deer coming in. Plus, what happens when a deer suddenly spooks and runs farther when youre at full draw???

Exactly, we have discussed this issue on another post here. However, to each their own.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

Quote:

I have a couple buddies that have a 1 pin vertical adjustable sight that whenever the yardage changes, you have to move the sight. IMO that could take away full consentration from your shot when you have a deer coming in. Plus, what happens when a deer suddenly spooks and runs farther when youre at full draw???

Exactly, we have discussed this issue on another post here. However, to each their own.

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

I’m not going to say fixed/adjustable that one is better, but I will throw in my .02 what “I” like about the single pin. Yes one pin keeps it simple at crunch time when a hunter may not have his/her head on straight. Alot of your high performance bows you will be good from 0-30 yards without moving your pin. To me that takes alot of the guesswork out of “is that deer closer to 20 or 30, so which pin do I use?” And doesn’t it make sense that with the speed of alot of bows today, that yuor 20 and 30 yard pins would be on top of each other anyway? As far as the deer running out to a new distance, I would only shoot at a deer past 35 yards if I knew the exact distance, not just a poke and hope shot, therefore “I” would’ve ranged it prior to shooting. I’m not saying anyone on this site would I’m just saying that put into a real hunting situation the single pin is the only one for me. And aren’t most of the shots us bowhunters take less than 30 yards? Again I’m not bashing a multi pin site just bringing up some of the pros of a single pin for a fellow hunter looking at a new sight. On my old bow there is no way I could’ve gotten away with a single pin, it was way to slow. Oh one last thing, they do make a single pin that is adjustable with your index finger while your at full draw or at least they did when I got my bow a few years ago. Ok I’m stepping down now Good luck this year fella’s, it’s right around the corner

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

I’m not going to say fixed/adjustable that one is better, but I will throw in my .02 what “I” like about the single pin. Yes one pin keeps it simple at crunch time when a hunter may not have his/her head on straight. Alot of your high performance bows you will be good from 0-30 yards without moving your pin. To me that takes alot of the guesswork out of “is that deer closer to 20 or 30, so which pin do I use?” And doesn’t it make sense that with the speed of alot of bows today, that yuor 20 and 30 yard pins would be on top of each other anyway? As far as the deer running out to a new distance, I would only shoot at a deer past 35 yards if I knew the exact distance, not just a poke and hope shot, therefore “I” would’ve ranged it prior to shooting. I’m not saying anyone on this site would I’m just saying that put into a real hunting situation the single pin is the only one for me. And aren’t most of the shots us bowhunters take less than 30 yards? Again I’m not bashing a multi pin site just bringing up some of the pros of a single pin for a fellow hunter looking at a new sight. On my old bow there is no way I could’ve gotten away with a single pin, it was way to slow. Oh one last thing, they do make a single pin that is adjustable with your index finger while your at full draw or at least they did when I got my bow a few years ago. Ok I’m stepping down now Good luck this year fella’s, it’s right around the corner

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I agree Rob and Muskyman, if your shots aren’t any farther then 30 to 35 yrds then shooting with a single pin will work because an arrow shoots reasonably flat at those yardages. We use too shoot 3-ds and i had a set of hoyt target pins that had a very small ball on the tip and we shot at alot of diffrent yardages and at diffrent decoys. Fox at 40 yrds up hill, bobcats at 10 yrds and deer everywhere in between and out to 50.

What i liked about the small tippped hoyt brass pins was that it was easy to move this small ball into place over your kill shot and over the whole decoy withut covering it up with the sight. When i first started shooting i had a set of sights that were bigger tipped and they covered the animal at farther yardages, i put on a set of small tipped pins and have never gone back.

I bought a bow from Tom Gursky here on the site and it came with a set of small tipped fibre optic sights and i was impressed with the small tip on the end of the pin. I shot this bow and with these new fine tipped optic sights im satisfied and see no need too change to anything else. A fine tipped pin is the sight for me.

I shot a 5 pin sight and had all pins sighted in from 10 yrds to 50 for 3-d shoots. We did quite a bit of driving to various shoots and i had my 50 yrd pin set dead nuts and could hit the kill zone on a bear, which is a 5″ circle and hit it most of the time at 50 yrds. I got use to using the pins and was confident at that yardage too.

If i had a shot at 50 that i know the arrow would get there befor he spooked i would be able to take it but it had to be the right shot for me to do that and my bow was set up to do that if the shot arose. My first consideration would be a fine tipped sight now matter how many i chose to shoot with. Shooting quite a bit at diffrent yardages and your eye comes to that tip almost automatically. The choice is strictly individual and what that person needs and wants to shoot at in all conditions.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.