Looks like they charged him..

• hgeren
    NE Minneapolis

Looks like they charged the guy, and he may have been drinking!!! wow

Manslaughter charge

david_scott
    Twin Cities

The link didnt work for me, here is the story from Star Tribune.

Hunter charged with manslaughter in teen’s death

JIM ADAMS, Star Tribune

Last update: November 21, 2006 – 1:46 PM

Grant Everson defense admits to lesser charge

AITKIN, MINN. – The man accused of killing a Buffalo, Minn., teenager said that he shot twice after detecting sounds and movements that led him to believe he was taking aim at a deer, according to criminal charges filed today in Aitkin County against another hunter.

Steve Ferguson, 45, of Maplewood, was charged today with second-degree manslaughter in the death Saturday of Brandon Lanie, 14.

After shooting Lanie, the complaint said, Ferguson called police and waited at the scene. When sheriff’s deputies arrived, Ferguson told them that he had shot Lanie in the head.

According to the complaint:

Ferguson said he was in a tree stand 15 feet up, heard the crunch of leaves, heard movement and saw something brown. He shot twice, then hollered to another in the hunting party that his aim was true.

After descending the stand, he came upon the body and realized that he had shot Brandon.

The charges say Brandon was wearing blaze orange hunting pants and coat, and a baseball-style cap.

According to County Sheriff Scott Turner, Lanie was walking through the woods just before 5 p.m. when Ferguson shot Lanie once in the head with his rifle. He was pronounced dead at the scene north of Mille Lacs Lake near Wealthwood Township in the southern part of the county.

Bail for Ferguson was set at $20,000 bond or $2,000 cash after prosecutor Lisa Rakotz in a hearing today noted Ferguson’s previous drunken-driving convictions and her belief that Ferguson had been drinking that day in violation of a restriction on his driver’s license.

Along with setting bail, Judge John Leitner ruled that Ferguson must stay in Minnesota, have no contact with Brandon’s family, not consume alcohol or illegal drugs, not be anyplace where alcohol is served, submit to random alcohol testing, and not hunt or use firearms.

Defense attorney Ryan Garry had asked for no bail, saying his client was not a flight risk, has lived in his current home for 15 years, has no warrants for his arrest and no history of violent crimes.

Ferguson, wearing jail garb and handcuffs, said nothing at his hearing.

Speaking for his client, Garry said, the shooting was a “horrific, tragic accident” and Ferguson sends “his deepest regards and sympathy” to Brandon’s family.

Lanie had been spending the weekend in the county at his father’s new cabin.

A memorial fund in honor of Lanie will be set up at Buffalo’s Klein Bank.

From 4-8 p.m. Thursday, a visitation service will be held in Buffalo at Peterson Chapel Funeral Home, 119 N. Central Av. The funeral service is at 11 a.m. Friday at St. John’s Lutheran Church in Buffalo, 302 NE. 2nd St.

Jim Adams • 612-673-7658 • By JIM ADAMS [email protected]

david_scott
    Twin Cities

The link didnt work for me, here is the story from Star Tribune.

Hunter charged with manslaughter in teen’s death

JIM ADAMS, Star Tribune

Last update: November 21, 2006 – 1:46 PM

Grant Everson defense admits to lesser charge

AITKIN, MINN. – The man accused of killing a Buffalo, Minn., teenager said that he shot twice after detecting sounds and movements that led him to believe he was taking aim at a deer, according to criminal charges filed today in Aitkin County against another hunter.

Steve Ferguson, 45, of Maplewood, was charged today with second-degree manslaughter in the death Saturday of Brandon Lanie, 14.

After shooting Lanie, the complaint said, Ferguson called police and waited at the scene. When sheriff’s deputies arrived, Ferguson told them that he had shot Lanie in the head.

According to the complaint:

Ferguson said he was in a tree stand 15 feet up, heard the crunch of leaves, heard movement and saw something brown. He shot twice, then hollered to another in the hunting party that his aim was true.

After descending the stand, he came upon the body and realized that he had shot Brandon.

The charges say Brandon was wearing blaze orange hunting pants and coat, and a baseball-style cap.

According to County Sheriff Scott Turner, Lanie was walking through the woods just before 5 p.m. when Ferguson shot Lanie once in the head with his rifle. He was pronounced dead at the scene north of Mille Lacs Lake near Wealthwood Township in the southern part of the county.

Bail for Ferguson was set at $20,000 bond or $2,000 cash after prosecutor Lisa Rakotz in a hearing today noted Ferguson’s previous drunken-driving convictions and her belief that Ferguson had been drinking that day in violation of a restriction on his driver’s license.

Along with setting bail, Judge John Leitner ruled that Ferguson must stay in Minnesota, have no contact with Brandon’s family, not consume alcohol or illegal drugs, not be anyplace where alcohol is served, submit to random alcohol testing, and not hunt or use firearms.

Defense attorney Ryan Garry had asked for no bail, saying his client was not a flight risk, has lived in his current home for 15 years, has no warrants for his arrest and no history of violent crimes.

Ferguson, wearing jail garb and handcuffs, said nothing at his hearing.

Speaking for his client, Garry said, the shooting was a “horrific, tragic accident” and Ferguson sends “his deepest regards and sympathy” to Brandon’s family.

Lanie had been spending the weekend in the county at his father’s new cabin.

A memorial fund in honor of Lanie will be set up at Buffalo’s Klein Bank.

From 4-8 p.m. Thursday, a visitation service will be held in Buffalo at Peterson Chapel Funeral Home, 119 N. Central Av. The funeral service is at 11 a.m. Friday at St. John’s Lutheran Church in Buffalo, 302 NE. 2nd St.

Jim Adams • 612-673-7658 • By JIM ADAMS [email protected]

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I did read the article, but didn’t see where it said he may have been drinking! He is going to have to live with that scene in his head for the rest of his life!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I did read the article, but didn’t see where it said he may have been drinking! He is going to have to live with that scene in his head for the rest of his life!

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Just wondering if he was using a scope on his rifle. If his rifle has a scope, no excuses!

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

Just wondering if he was using a scope on his rifle. If his rifle has a scope, no excuses!

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

Her belief:

Lisa Rakotz in a hearing today noted Ferguson’s previous drunken-driving convictions and her belief that Ferguson had been drinking that day in violation of a restriction on his driver’s license.

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

Her belief:

Lisa Rakotz in a hearing today noted Ferguson’s previous drunken-driving convictions and her belief that Ferguson had been drinking that day in violation of a restriction on his driver’s license.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

I think its about time we make an example of someone. This happens year in and year out. It’s 100% unacceptable. There is absolutely no excuse for not identifying what youre shooting, let alone mixing drinking and guns.
    My heart goes out to the rest of the family, but I hope this guy gets everything he deserves.

vikefanmn77
    Northfield,MN

I think its about time we make an example of someone. This happens year in and year out. It’s 100% unacceptable. There is absolutely no excuse for not identifying what youre shooting, let alone mixing drinking and guns.
    My heart goes out to the rest of the family, but I hope this guy gets everything he deserves.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

It shoudln’t matter if he was drinking or not. The first rule I was taught is to never fire a weapon unles I am 100% sure of what I am shooting!

He heard noises and assuned it was a deer. NO EXCUSE!

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

It shoudln’t matter if he was drinking or not. The first rule I was taught is to never fire a weapon unles I am 100% sure of what I am shooting!

He heard noises and assuned it was a deer. NO EXCUSE!

shaley
    Milford IA

I know the timbers are thick in that area. My aunt used to own a resort on the southside as well as a cabin on Shokopee so I have been in the area. But if the kid was wearing Blaze pants AND a coat how can you not see some part of that??

IT would help to know range and if the rifle was scoped or not also .

shaley
    Milford IA

I know the timbers are thick in that area. My aunt used to own a resort on the southside as well as a cabin on Shokopee so I have been in the area. But if the kid was wearing Blaze pants AND a coat how can you not see some part of that??

IT would help to know range and if the rifle was scoped or not also .

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

I don’t think it really matters if the rifle was scoped, or what the distance was, this guy shot a young man wearing a god’s plenty of blaze orange, absolutely inexcusable. Somebody already said, the first rule of firing a weapon at something, anything, is to be 100 percent sure of what it is you’re about to kill. As I stated before, absolutely inexcusable.

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

I don’t think it really matters if the rifle was scoped, or what the distance was, this guy shot a young man wearing a god’s plenty of blaze orange, absolutely inexcusable. Somebody already said, the first rule of firing a weapon at something, anything, is to be 100 percent sure of what it is you’re about to kill. As I stated before, absolutely inexcusable.

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

If you haven’t identified your target 100%+ you don’t even lift the gun. I will add you don’t identify the potential target with your gun scope either.

Prayers to the families.

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

If you haven’t identified your target 100%+ you don’t even lift the gun. I will add you don’t identify the potential target with your gun scope either.

Prayers to the families.

shaley
    Milford IA

I totaly agree and undestand the target aquisition just couriosity is all.

I also know all to well how some get tunnle vision or for whatever reason block everything out but the deer. I had my youngest brother along on stand with me one season ( he was maybe 10 or 11) a guy in our group starts taking shots at a doe between us. I was along a fenceline and field edge not hidden at all he still claims to this day he never saw us but 2 of the 3 slugs hit the tree just above my broithers head. Needless to say it was the last hunt he ever made with us. I run a tight deer camp and have sent my own father home for bucking rules.

Both familys will be in our thoughts one lost a son the other stands to lose a loved one also. A tragady for sure.

shaley
    Milford IA

I totaly agree and undestand the target aquisition just couriosity is all.

I also know all to well how some get tunnle vision or for whatever reason block everything out but the deer. I had my youngest brother along on stand with me one season ( he was maybe 10 or 11) a guy in our group starts taking shots at a doe between us. I was along a fenceline and field edge not hidden at all he still claims to this day he never saw us but 2 of the 3 slugs hit the tree just above my broithers head. Needless to say it was the last hunt he ever made with us. I run a tight deer camp and have sent my own father home for bucking rules.

Both familys will be in our thoughts one lost a son the other stands to lose a loved one also. A tragady for sure.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.