Favorite Grunts

• Johnie Birkel
    South metro

I’m in the market for a new grunt call. I left my last one in the woods for the squirrels to chew on my way out the other night. I really liked the way my old one sounded; it wasn’t real deep and kind of soft and I had some decent results with it. The problem is I bet I got it ten years ago. I was wondering if anyone had some favorites or ones not to get? I’m pretty sure the guys at Fleet Farm would not be too happy with me testing all of them.
    Also, how do most people carry a grunt? If you use the lanyard they come with, it seems the one end sticks out into the bow string at full draw. I’ve tried making the rope longer and going around the neck and under one arm, but that gets restricting. The reason I lost it was I had just been carrying it in my pocket and the string snagged. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

MAD calls the buck growl gets my vote. I carry mine in my pocket and stick it in the front of my bibs so i can just move my head down and use it when its on the laynard. when its in the bibs it wont stick out

the TRUE TALKER is a good one too.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

MAD calls the buck growl gets my vote. I carry mine in my pocket and stick it in the front of my bibs so i can just move my head down and use it when its on the laynard. when its in the bibs it wont stick out

the TRUE TALKER is a good one too.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Hook is dead on with the buck growl making a great grunt call, but I’m not sold on the growl sound it produces. Right on with the True talker as well

phishirman
    Madison, WI

Hook is dead on with the buck growl making a great grunt call, but I’m not sold on the growl sound it produces. Right on with the True talker as well

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

For all Grunts except for the new hyped up “Buck Roar or Growl” (in my opinion only good for about a week or two) there is only one choice and that is the HS’s TRUE TALKER”.

Hands down.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

For all Grunts except for the new hyped up “Buck Roar or Growl” (in my opinion only good for about a week or two) there is only one choice and that is the HS’s TRUE TALKER”.

Hands down.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Ditto to Rob. Tru Talker. Sounds real and can get real LOUD !!!!
    I got a Primos Buck Roar, and do not fully belive in it yet or am sure if I am even using it right. Haven’t watched the little DVD with it yet. Although the snort wheez is cool.

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

Ditto to Rob. Tru Talker. Sounds real and can get real LOUD !!!!
    I got a Primos Buck Roar, and do not fully belive in it yet or am sure if I am even using it right. Haven’t watched the little DVD with it yet. Although the snort wheez is cool.

big g

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

My favorite grunt is the one my exwife used to respond to the best.

I use the 4 in 1 tube. I think it is from Hunter Specialties. I like it because you can adjust it from fawn and doe bleats to young and mature buck grunts. I have been successful at grunting a couple bucks back into bow range with it after I had missed them the first time. The fawn bleat seems to pull deer in more than the other settings probably because it is a higher pitched noise which travels further. It is nice to have all those calls on one tube.

I too had the problem with my grunt tube getting messed up when I draw/release my bow. Now I either keep it in a front pocket or let it hang from a branch within reach if I need it. I do not use it to stop a deer when getting ready to release a shot. Instead I whistle or make a grunt like noise. Either one works at stopping a buck to get a shot off.

Eyehunter

fishman1
    Dubuque, Iowa

My favorite grunt is the one my exwife used to respond to the best.

I use the 4 in 1 tube. I think it is from Hunter Specialties. I like it because you can adjust it from fawn and doe bleats to young and mature buck grunts. I have been successful at grunting a couple bucks back into bow range with it after I had missed them the first time. The fawn bleat seems to pull deer in more than the other settings probably because it is a higher pitched noise which travels further. It is nice to have all those calls on one tube.

I too had the problem with my grunt tube getting messed up when I draw/release my bow. Now I either keep it in a front pocket or let it hang from a branch within reach if I need it. I do not use it to stop a deer when getting ready to release a shot. Instead I whistle or make a grunt like noise. Either one works at stopping a buck to get a shot off.

Eyehunter

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

True Talker…just dont leave it in the stand…squirrels love it I put a “D” ring on my belt and loop it through that…the rope is long enough to use when sitting down…I bow hunt so dont want anything around my neck..

rvrat
    st cloud,mn

True Talker…just dont leave it in the stand…squirrels love it I put a “D” ring on my belt and loop it through that…the rope is long enough to use when sitting down…I bow hunt so dont want anything around my neck..

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

haydels game calls the non typical is very good at calling in squirrels. last weekend i called in 2 bucks with it with the biggest being a nice 8. it’s a great call, mix with alittle active scrape scent and youll see some deer hopfully

bassking27
    La Crosse, Wisconsin

haydels game calls the non typical is very good at calling in squirrels. last weekend i called in 2 bucks with it with the biggest being a nice 8. it’s a great call, mix with alittle active scrape scent and youll see some deer hopfully

Bird
    River Falls, WI

True Talker….whithout a dought my best call…..great sound and its adjustable for bleets to deep grunts.

Bird
    River Falls, WI

True Talker….whithout a dought my best call…..great sound and its adjustable for bleets to deep grunts.

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

Bumping this post, only because I looked down at my grunt the other day and it’s s the true talker from the recommendations from 11 years ago. I still remember writing this post at a break during night grad school. Any one that posted still around?

Hoyt4
    NULL

Primos buck roar has been great for me mixed with the can together. I have shot many bucks off just the primos grunt a lone.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Primos buck roar has been great for me mixed with the can together. I have shot many bucks off just the primos grunt a lone.

X2, I never head to the stand without my Primos buck roar or the can.

Protourbaits1

Has anyone heard about the extinguisher? It’s advertised on Facebook like crazy.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.