Day to Remember- 4 PB Pike

• Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

What a day on Tobin Lake yesterday out on the flats, quantity was not there but the quality was unreal. I took my 2 boys and one of there friends out for pike on tip ups. After drilling 7 holes for tip ups and a couple more for jigging with rods I started getting tip ups ready to be set. The order for the day was Chase (7) would get the first flag, there friend Kyle(14), Hunter(14), and then Dad. After getting 3 in the water we had our first flag. The boys ran over, Hunter was to set hook for Chase then let him get it in and help him get it above the ice. Swing and a miss, hooks never caught and came back with no bait. Pike 1-Us 0. As I was re-rigging that tip up our second flag went, the boys ran over and I stayed to finish re-rigging. Hunter set the hook and passed line off to his little brother. After a bit of tussle Hunter yelled at me to come over as it was big, I ran over and Chase handed off to Hunter as he was having trouble getting it turned and into hole. I got there just as Hunter got it turned into the hole and out come a slob. After measurements, weighing, and some pics it swam away. It was 42″L x 20″G weighing in at 23.7lbs. Chases new PB as the weekend before he caught his biggest at 7lbs After a ton of hooting, hollering and a ton of high fives all tip ups were down and the anticipation of he next flag began. The next flag went and there friend Kyle pulled in a 17lbs(39×17), more pics, measurements, and it swam away. High fives all around as it beat his previous PB of 14lbs. Hunter was now up for the next flag. Chase yelled flag and the mad dash was on. I was still be the truck when the words “Dad it’s a monster”. With bucket of tools, bait and rags I got there just as Hunter was bringing it through the hole. Slob #2. After pics, measurements and another release, Hunter’s new PB came in at 42″x 19.5″= 22.75lbs. PB#3. Dad was now up for the next flag and the pike goods were definitely were looking down on me and maybe even had a hand on my shoulder. Chase yelled flag, Dad your up. As I made my way over I could see that the “T” was barely moving. As I got to within about 10ft of the tip up the “T” became a blur. After the hook set I figured it had got under a log as I could not move it. Once it started to come I was unsure if it was big or a smaller one rapped up in some lumber. Once I got it to the hole I could see it was another good one but how good was not realized until it was above the ice. “PIG”. I was stunned by the size. After the same routine of measurements, pics and the all important release, we were screaming, yelling, high fives, and Dad getting tackled by the boys and there friend, it was PB”4. The monster was 43″x 22″ and weighing 27.90lbs. I’m still in a state of shock. Next flag was Chases and he wrestled another beauty to the ice that weighed in at a little over 16#s. Hunter and Kyle tagged team another 17# to finish off the day. A day to remember and never forgotten.
    Chase’s fish

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1297-1.jpg

2. IMG_1299.jpg

3. IMG_1297.jpg

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

more pics- Hunter’s

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1305.jpg

2. IMG_1302.jpg

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

more pics

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1310.jpg

2. IMG_1308.jpg

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

more pics, Kyle, and Chases 7#r from last weekend.

If anybody wants to take a stab at getting some of these pics turned the right way it would be appreciated, I have tried everything and it is quite apparent I am not smart enough ???

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1301.jpg

2. FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Ryan Speers
    Waconia, MN

That’s good stuff, thanks for sharing!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Well, them boys are ruined for life! jester

Well done I’m green with envy. mrgreen

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Great day to remember that’s awesome! Do you fish Tobin often?

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Ufda ! bow

J.

bigpike

Pretty awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

Do you fish Tobin often?

Yes, I live in Nipawin, river portion of the lake is 2 miles down the road from my house. I tend to fish mostly on the lake throughout the summer, then into the river in the fall. The fall fishing has not been great the last few years on the river, but has been really good on the lake.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

What is your pb walleye?

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bowtecmike wrote:</div>
    Do you fish Tobin often?

Yes, I live in Nipawin, river portion of the lake is 2 miles down the road from my house. I tend to fish mostly on the lake throughout the summer, then into the river in the fall. The fall fishing has not been great the last few years on the river, but has been really good on the lake.

Pm sent

Willy D
    Nipawin, SK

What is your pb walleye?

15.3#s, it was 33.5″ in length. I caught it while pre-fishing for the fall tournament in the river portion of the lake in 1998. I have been fishing and hunting up here since mid 90’s and moved here in 06.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Great pics and a wonderful write up. Those boys will pike tip up nuts forever. waytogo waytogo

chomps
    Sioux City IA

That’s a quality post, those kids are hooked for life and will share in your passion of the outdoors

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nice chain pickerel! lol

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.