D.C. Circuit Court Issues Great Lakes States Wolf Delisting Ruling

• Nice Fella

From the RMEF Elk Network:

“The Washington, D.C. District Court of Appeals issued a ruling on August 1 that the Endangered Species Act authorizes the US Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) to delist a distinct population segment, such as the wolf population in the Great Lakes States. However, the Court also ruled the federal agency must first make proper findings to support its decision–something the Court ruled USFWS did not do. This decision leaves two options:

1) The USFWS must revisit and revise the status (based on additional research using the best available scientific and commercial data) of the Great Lakes states wolf status for the purpose of delisting; or
    2) pass wolf delisting legislation in Congress, which would preempt further judicial review of the USFWS decision to delist wolves in the Great Lakes states–making the Court’s decision a moot point.

The first option would take significant time and would still be subject to legal challenge. The second option would finally restore state management of wolves in the Great Lakes states.

Please contact your Congressional representative today and urge him or her to support HR 424, the Gray Wolf State Management Act or contact your Senator and ask for their support for S. 1514, the HELP for Wildlife Act–which also has language to permanently delist wolves in the Great Lakes states.”

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

This is nothing but the work of wolf huggers. They must be managed in this region. Hard to believe there was a season two years ago and my friend had a tag.

CaptainMusky

I don’t want the wolves extinguished from the land, but I think its preposterous to not allow the states themselves the ability to decide how to manage them. They are not endangered and need to be managed on a local level.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Our Rochester paper has an article today stating that an Appeals Court has upheld the blocking of de-listing the wolves. Again. Another woman justice…Patricia Millett was quoted regarding the ruling. The article says Minnesota has some +2000 wolves based on recent studies and need further protection. They must use helicopters to chase the wolves into Canada then do the counting.

I agree, this should be a STATE decision, not falling on some green hugger in another state that uses warm and fuzzy as a basis for decision making.

basseyes

How does this end up being the decision of one person? Whatever way you lean, that seems like horse crap. Own land in wolf country. It’s an awesome creature. But no different than grouse, deer, rabbit’s, etc. Bizarre how the non human huggers, have hitched and locked their bandwagon trailer to the wolf. Why not the coyote, skunk or possum?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

How does this end up being the decision of one person? Whatever way you lean, that seems like horse crap. Own land in wolf country. It’s an awesome creature. But no different than grouse, deer, rabbit’s, etc. Bizarre how the non human huggers, have hitched and locked their bandwagon trailer to the wolf. Why not the coyote, skunk or possum?

We have the property near Two Harbors and we have more wolves than deer in the yard.

As an example of how mis-led these fools seem to be, the article in the paper I mentioned also referred to a wolf caught in a coyote trap a few years ago just outside of Rochester. And I saw a dead wolf along highway 52 north of Rochester only a couple years ago. They aren’t just a northern animal anymore and I think there are more than people want to admit to in this corner of the state now.

What gets me is that wolves in Minnesota are a MINNESOTA problem, not Michigan or North Carolina. Keep the appeals in this state and lock the lobbyists in the closet while things get sorted out. Just like the BlackLivesMatter bs, most of the support is not from Minnesota.

basseyes

We were over run with them for three year’s. Contacted the CO a few years back bear hunting. I’ve never seen animals with no fear of human’s like this pack. Had so many wolf tcam pics and sightings of wolves we nicknamed individuals in the pack. This year have only had one tcam pic, no track’s or scat. The deer numbers have bounced back drastically. A buddy shot one the first year you could hunt them and had eight different ones in the cross hairs. We hunted them the last year it was legal and barely got to hunt because the quota was met so fast. Four of us covered a lot of ground in the snow and saw not a single deer track and countless wolf track’s. They are a tremendously fun animal to have on the landscape, just like sharptail grouse, moose, deer and wood cock. Different, but the same. How they can’t be managed just like everything else is plain and simple ignorance and defines hypocrisy.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.