Custom boat cover questions

• queenswake
    NULL

I want to get a cover made for my 1988 16 foot Alumacraft tiller. Based on searches of previous threads, it looks like people have recommended Economy Canvas in Bethel for affordability. Obviously, the boat is not worth enough to pay top dollar Canvas Craft prices.

Would people recommend their work? It looks like they use Aqualon vs Top Gun or Sunbrella. Any comments on that fabric? I am mainly looking for something to hold out the water during the summer as I keep it outside all summer. But also being able to keep it on while trailering would be nice too. Does that cover trailer well?

Last question, would it be worth it to go the snaps route vs straps?

Thanks.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Every material has its strengths and weaknesses. If water is your main concern, the Aqualon sounds like the right product. Sunbrella for UV and breathing. Sunbrella also repels water but not 100% in my experience if it is allowed to pond/puddle.

I would go with the snaps 100 out of 100 times.

mojogunter

I know where economy canvas is but I don’t know anyone that has used them. How much are they saying it would be? I am just curious. I have used Banner Canvas in Ham Lake and Faith has done great work for me, and her price seemed very reasonable to me. I know she is normally really busy at this time of year, but may not be with everything going on. It may be worth stopping by there to get another quote.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Please share cost if you would. I used canvas craft and have been very happy, had a couple snaps fail over the years and just stop by and they walk out and fix it no charge no asking questions. I would go snaps if it was me. My cover cost me about $900.00 for a larger wider boat. Just curious if the other places save enough to take a chance on.

queenswake
    NULL

My problem is that the boat is worth like $3K. Otherwise, I’d have no problem paying top dollar.

I called Economy and he quoted $325 but backed up until Sept.

PermaTop in Mound is $700-$800 depending on width for Top Gun.

Canvas Craft is $750-$850 for Aqualon Edge backed up until Jun 15

Top Gun Covers is $675 for Top Gun with snaps.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Wow has anyone used economy? Thats a huge difference. Thanks for sharing the cost Queenswake.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I used the canvas place by my house, Kuehl canvas. The cover for my 20′ boat going around the kicker and over my TM so I can leave it on was $450. Last year I had him make side curtains for my top also. A friend missed a couple snaps and the got damaged on a trip, just stop by and he fixes them on the spot. I am not sure what the material is but it doesn’t wear out. He had a cover in that he had made and it sat outside for 10 years or so, he had to replace the thread because it was coming apart but the canvas was still good. On year 4 and I’m impressed so far, wish I had done it sooner.

bassh8er

What’s the advantage of snaps over straps?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

What’s the advantage of snaps over straps?

Straps are just something to hang and flap in the wind. The time taken to mitigate that is a waste of time in my opinion when snaps are cleaner looking and hassle free.

Ny
    N Metro

I used Economy Canvas. My cover turned out nice, its starting to show some wear. I have had it for 3 or 4 years now. The thing I hate most about the cover is having to go around with bunji cords to every loop. Part of me wishes I would have done a snap cover but I didnt want to deal with broken buttons. Pros and cons to each style.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I have had a topgun cover on my boat since 2012. It spends the entire summer on a lift and is still in great shape.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3781-EFFECTS-2.jpg

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I have had 2 jobs done at Economy, one for my old Smoker Craft and a canvas top made for a fish house. The people there are nice and did a good job. Ma and Pa shop or was last time I had work done.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.