Smallmouth bite

• fredbart
    St. Paul

I spent two days this week fishing smallmouth on the Croix. Today mostly fished the Hudson area, two days ago the Kinni. Though the fishing wasnt fast each day I did get close to 20 fish with the largest around 2 pounds. Last year at this time the water was highed concentrating the fish. With lass flow the same areas this year has fish but these were more scattered so I had to keep moving. All my fish came of plastics with the best producers being Yum 4 inch tubes, gitzits and Yumm wooly bugs on 1/8 ounce jigs. The slower the better. It was great smally fishing again. Quetico is two weeks.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Did you try any crayfish type plastic?

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

i’ve been bass fishing the kinni area the last 3 thursday evenings. the fishing has been good and steady. lots of small fish. it seems the nicer fish ( 2 17inchers on back to back casts last week) are related to deeper water, if i am 20 ft from shore and it is 15 to 20 ft deep these areas seem to hold the bigger bass. also seems the bigger ones i’ve caught have been later in the evening (after 8) the only bait i’ve been using are 4 in. senko’s (purple, cinnimon, and watermelon) i don’t think color matters much.
    sorry to all IDO members for not posting reports regularly. i will try to do better in the future.
    to night i’m off to the mighty miss. to try some eye fishing, hopfully i have something to report.

fredbart
    St. Paul

With all the latest products and techniques I try to limit myself to learning a few new techniques and presentations a year. My couple of trips to the Croix I have been pleasantly impressed with Yum 3 inch Wooly Hawgtails. http://www.lurenet.com/. I like the smaller profile and suble movement on the drop. They also seem to have enough mustle to be attractive as a cover lure. Being able to fish these both ways is a plus letting me cover area as well as finess the light biters. I certainly am going to keep messing with learning to fish these more this year.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

Any new reports out there on the how the smallies are biting? i am thinking i am going to try and get out there for the morning hours tomorrow before it get’s crazy. we will be launching by hudson and fishing around there.
    Water the stage at? temp?

Thanks!
    Dan

waleyangler
    woodbury,mn

they were snappin last night around the afton marina… we got around 20 from 7 to 9:30, they were hitting anything.we gut them on jigs n pigs,yum mega tubes,flukes,rattle traps,topwater. they hit everything

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

We got out yesterday from 6-11. we fished from hudson and then went south. we got about 20 fish total for the three of us. We got about three 2.5 # smallies and 1 2.5# largie and the rest where in the 1.5> range. all of our fish where pretty spread out but came on the break from 2 feet into 7 feet with sporatic rock and sand. We caught all the fish on stick baits where rigged either texas rigged or wacky. It was a nice day to get out. when we where making our way back to the access around 11, it was really starting to get crazy with the pleasure cruiser, I can only imagine what it was like the rest of the day out there.

Thanks for the reports.

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Been on the usual spots i.e. rock, but also doing well with Rapala DT’s on sand. Cover ground and bomb them to find active pods.
    Turk

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.