Boat size on the ‘Croix

• Big E
    Saint Paul, MN area

Greetings: I’m new to the area and want to get out fishing on the St. Croix. I’ve fished a ton on the Miss (LaCrosse area) but this is totally new territory. What size of boat can I reasonably use? I know that Lake St. Croix is wide open, but what about from Stillwater up to St. Croix Falls, or above? (I currently own a Lund Explorer 1675). Also, any suggestions for access. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

As long as there isnt a lot of boat traffic on the Croix, I have not trouble w/ a 12′ boat.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Under normal conditions, water levels along stretches between Stillwater and St. Croix Falls can be shallow so you’ll want to use caution no matter the boat you’re in but in general, your 1675 is plenty good to handle the situations encounterable on the Croix.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I have been running a 14′ with a 15 on back for a number of years now in the Osceola area of the river. It can get pretty shallow up here during a normal year. Nights and mornings can be extremly shallow due to the dam a taylors falls shutting down at night. Your boat should be fine this year but take your time on the northern part of the river.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.