upper croix

• juggs
    The biggest nightcrawler bed in all of Minneapolis

I’d like to try the St. Croix on Saturday for walleyes, smallies, or crappies. Plan on going above Stillwater. Any info? Thanks in advance.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

the only thing I have on the upper croix is its rising… we got TONS of rain recently.. and have been getting more than normal all summer… particularly north of the Osceola area….. I was out today around stillwater-afton and the water was up a foot from the day before….
    I have no information on fishing the upper croix…..
    fishing the area I just mentioned we found scattered fish.. walleyes/saugers pretty much in 20-24′ on cranks… best for us seemed to be shad colored shad body cranks….. at least something with blue…… biggest fish was probably 22″…. we moved quite a bit to get the fish we caught… on guy on the water reported great success on Wednesday as he said they caught 39 in 2-3 hours…… we also nailed some white bass that were hitting shad on the surface… and also some smallies doing the same….. (targets of opportunity)…… it was not fast fishing for us…. but we could have put together 6 keepers without a lot of trouble…. perhaps we would have done better focusing on areas south of the 94 bridge…. moving from spot to spot seemed to be needed to find fish that would bite…..

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So Juggs How was the fishing? Did you get out? I got out on friday night and sunday around Osceola. The smallies where easy pickings. My five year old son had a blast with them. Forget about taking your kids pan fishing to get them hooked on fishing. Take them smallie fishing.
    Anyway. I am planning on heading out around Marine somewhere next tuesday. This will be my first trip down there. I will most likely chase the smallies around but will be looking for some fall walleye spots. I hope the water stays up until then.
    Is it the Arcola sand bar that i cant go past or is it the high bridge? I think i have heard it both ways. How about any info on the landings at Marine. I might even try the landing north of still water and head up stream. Ether way it should be a good trip.
    Good luck fishing

juggs
    The biggest nightcrawler bed in all of Minneapolis

Hey Mike, sorry it took so long to reply. I didn’t do diddly that day. Fished around Osceola and caught a scant few walleyes and SMB–very small at that. It was my first trip to that part of the river so I was going on previous river savvy alone. I found some decent water but just couldn’t get fish. I was particularly impressed with the rock bluffs on the WI side about two miles downstream from the landing. Pretty bassy but no action. I took along a future in-law only to have three rods broken!! Whaddaya do?

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

dont know what it will be like this fall… but LAST fall when the water dropped some and cleared up…. the smallies were on a HUGE tear… and you could catch them virutally ANYWHERE that looked “bassy”… and many places that did not…..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.