Another dumb idea

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Went out of Fronconia yesterday. Decided to go sit in the shade at the cliffs at rock Island and see if any crappies would bite. No fish bitting but i did get to see my second near drowning of the year at that spot. The thing to do this year seems to be to swim from the sand bar north of the island over to the island. Which is not to bad of a swim but you need to hussle or else the current will sweep you past the island and there is not alot past the island to climb up on right now. The first group of four i saw doing this two weeks ago realized they where not going to reach the island and turned back towards shore. Into the current. When i heard them talking about turning around that was when I started pulling up lines. By the time i started the motor was when the first one started yelling for help. they had a few people on the far shore that got to them in canoes. This was still not a fun seen to watch.
    I got to watch the whole thing over again yesterday. These two guys made it out to the island. they where looking pretty beat by that time. I thought they where with some canoes that where on the island. Guess i was wrong. they got about 3/4 of the way back across before they started yelling for help. They got pulled in by some canoers also. I think these two guys where in a world of trouble out there and should still be thanking someone for putting those poeple there to drag there butts to shore.
    This second near drowning got me to call the the sheriff today. This kind of stuff shakes up my fishing trips to much and i cant have that. It sounds like ther is going to be more patroling of the area this weekend. I hope it happens during the week also. That was when the first incident happened. I really hope they talk to the canoe rental places so that they will start telling these people about the swimming hazards in the river. It seems like a lot of people take it for granted. I usually pull a few people off the far bank every year after they have swam across and then relize that they have to swim back. I make it a habit to stop and ask if they need a ride back. I hope no one drowns up here this year.
    Anyway, Fishing was very slow. One fish. A 31″ northern. We chased them everwhere with no results. I guess it had to happen. They have been bitting most of the summer. The end of august is usually when the eyes start bitting again.
    I did talk to the sheriff today. Chisago county i think. He said they bought the john boat with the jet on back together with the MN DNR. It does have a tunnel hull on it. I wonder if I could rent it for some fishing trips. It did sound like they have had the unpleasent task of pulling some people of the bottom up here.I think i will keep doing my part to try to help out these people. I sure would not want to see the other senairo.

Good luck fishing and keep it safe

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

It’s very unsettling to even read about it much less witness it! I’m not familiar with that area of the river so I don’t know what these people had for options but it looks like a strong argument for some serious swimming education.

I’ve got former experience in swimming currents and long distance swims and I will say that even the best of swimmers out there really don’t understand the mental control needed to guide yourself through the panics of realizing “I might drown”.

For less than $2.00 there’s a long foam stick type thingy for playing with in pools…………….people don’t realize that “toy” is enough to float 250lbs. If placed lengthwise to the body, a person could play all day and not worry about the drowning. You may not defeat the current, but at least you won’t have to panic or be in risk of your life.

But if you must play without some form of PFD, mind control is everything and even in strong current, it’s OKAY to rest the body if it tires. Floatation should be practiced EVERY TIME you get in the water. It’s the most basic of swimming skills and the most necessary to save your life!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.