• Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

07/27/02

The walleye bite on the St. Croix remains tough. Reports indicate the later in the day bite is best and times from 3:00 to 7:00 pm have been better than the day hours. One strange occurrence is that some legal walleyes (legal size is a fish measuring greater than 15”) have been taken from relatively shallow water in 15’ off of points, usually walleyes seem just to move deeper and deeper as the summer progresses (and they do), but these fish have been shallow. The shallow bite may be short lived as the water is dropping. Other depths are from 22-30 off of points as well. Anglers that have done well are taking fish from short runs versus a longer trolling (spinner or crankbait pass) run. Bright colored cranks have been the key in the deep water, and nightcrawler on spinner rigs or crankbaits in the shallower zone.

Extra***

Also the flatheads have been slow this year, one of the best cat anglers on the croix, Mr. Jim Merimonti, has been out often this year and have a tough go topping a 15lber!

Jim has won the Beanies Big Louie flathead division for at four straight years!!! That’s not easy to do.

Anglers that launch out of Beanies need to get signed up for the Big Louie Contest, it’s only 15 dollars and the board is a running record of some of the St. Croix River big fish, since 1973, at one time two seperate fish that were weighed int he contest also became state records! 12 pound walleyes! Lots of history. It’s also an honor to get your name penned in.

Walleye, sauger, channel, flatead, and sturgeon are the catagories.

The board is currently being updated or fixed not sure which, remind either Gary or Dottie Mau as to when it’ll be back up! LOL! Mr. Steve Herte of Lakeland has the record as a 6 time catagory winner!!!

Keep catchin’

Turk

todd_miller
    Houlton, WI.

Turk,
    When is the Beanies tourney?

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Red Rock eyes,

Sorry to respond so slowly….the contest is a summer long event that runs from June 1 unitl October 31st!

Just enter before you nail your ten pound walleye!! Again the contest is a bit of a motivater for the locals plus some money, and currently not a single “good” fish has been brought in for any catagory?!?

Any ways..
    Keep catchin’
    Turk

mike t
    St Paul, MN

Good report, spot on.

I fished all weekend, trolling only, typically on long line/deep divers or boards, here’s what I found.

Main lake/river bars were good on the edges, I found fish in the 22-26′ range, a lot of good marks deeper but not biting. Friday night before the storm hit was awesome, all good fish with 6 over 20″. fish were hot, all over the river especially on the wis. windblown shoreline, massive bait clouds everywhere. Saturday was spotty but still managed a few fish, mostly dinks off points and main river bars, again deep divers and planers on the edges were they key. Sunday a.m. was another story, post frontal action was awesome with chunky 27″ fish off main point in 18′, got another 20 fish or so, mostly small but a few legals. deep husky jerks were the key, color didn’t seem to matter. Odd enough got all but 2 fish yesterday on the planer/snap weight/husky jerk combo. Only a couple on deep divers.

greatplains
    Hudson, WI

Also pulled cranks all day Sunday. Lead core with Yozuris and jointed shad raps. Pretty much same results. Lots of fish in 18-23′. All healthy eyes. Didn’t catch one sauger. One over 24″, lots of small eaters. It’s been an awesome year on the Croix! Can hardly wait for the fall piggy season!

Charlie “Turk” Gierke
    Hudson Wisconsin

Mike T,

Nice catches over the weekend!

I noticed you are a tackle buyer from your profile…please email me your phone number I have potentially a great business oportunity you may be interested in?
    My email is [email protected].

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you!

Keep catchin’
    Turk

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.