Place to visit on “The Croix”… Aug 2004<-

• Osprey
    Hudson

I had my emotions/composure tested a couple weeks ago.

As I was working (trolling motor, jig fishing) past a dock on the downstream, WI side of catfish bar I was told (by someone standing on the dock) that I am not to fish around this particular dock (4th or 5th dock below the bar w/small house boat tied on the N side and pontoon tied on S side)… I am always very friendly with people I see along “The River” but this request.

If you happen to work by this “spot” please be pleasant and civil but enjoy your right to the river and catch some of the fish that hang out around this particular dock.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sounds like you let the cat out of the bag on that hot spot. To bad I dont get over that way very often.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I know the place personally…from the same type of experiance….

The second time I was “told” to not fish there…I asked them to remove their dock from my river…. she got nasty and I kept trolling on.

Normally they have a swimming dock tethered out…which I guess is legal in these waters….I’m not a mean person…but I have been tempted to ….never mind…this is a family site.

It would make me snicker a little if there were about 50 boats jigging in front of there dock some Sat. afternoon …..

Forgive me…I’m normally not this way….they do get my goat!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

PS The owner of the dock…one down from that hotspot…told me to fish closer to his dock as they were catching eyes the day before. He was right and I gave him the first two keepers I caught…

I don’t think they even fish…never seen them out there…they just don’t want you around “their” part of the river…

Dang…now I’m getting all worked up…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

So I’ve cooled off a bit…..Welcome to the board Osprey!

Just notice it was your first post….now tell me where the eye’s are hiding…I haven’t been out for a couple weeks!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Would a dock on the water be public property just like a deer stand on public land? I know on the deer stands it is first come first serve.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

The dock is private property…I would be trespassing if I was to walk IN the water, then walk over the dock or shoreline….However the water around it and under it is mine…just as much as it is yours…of course.

Gilly
    Chisago area, Minnesota

I live just west of Taylors Falls, where is “catfish Bar”, if I may be so bold?

krisko
    Durand, WI

It sounds like we should plan a Get Together wiht a bunch of IDA members there someday. We could also go take care of the problem in pool 2 with the people near the Minnehaha Creek/River anybody in???

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Hey Gilly!

Catfish bar is in the Afton Channel. About 3 miles south of the 94 bridge.

I was on the Wild Mountain dinner cruise last night…not great weather, but I still spent most of my time on the top deck. Not only is there awesome scenery up there, but some great fishing areas…from what I could see. Actually, I couldn’t make up my mind…watch the scenery…watch for fishing spots….all the while my wife was calling me because the family was waiting for me before they would start eating…

The Grand Caynon of the St Croix…I don’t think people know what their’re missing that’s so close to the metro area….(and let’s keep it that way )

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Take down the registration on the houseboat and let them know this is all you need to find out who they are and that you’re more than ready to invite the sheriff over to discuss the legalities of their harrassment. If they’re made to understand the law isn’t going to support their behavior, they might chill out a little bit. I don’t, however, think it’s proper to antagonize them. Continue on in peace and every once in a while, veer away from them to make them feel respected. I don’t like getting “crowded” on a dock either and appreciate anglers who are wise enough to know that “all the fish” aren’t where I’m stationed and they’re more able to locate other fish than I am. Wave, short report exchange, wish each other good luck, and continue having a good day.

If no one is at the dock, I’ve been known to fish within inches of the structure but if someone is hanging out there, I tend to realize that they’re not out there hoping to stumble into random conversations with random visitors. It’s a give and take world….. and I’m not saying anyone hasn’t given of themselves or that these people should be defended. I just want to remind us to consider both points of view and to take measures to establish good relations whenever possible.

Good luck down there guys! I keep finding the fish I’m after in the Bayport area…… and I’m not refering to sheepies!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Briank-you told me about this the other night but after reading it I am now worked up. I will do everything within my power to make it out on the Croix this week so I can fish docks down from the bar. Send me a PM with details if you want so I can make sure I target the correct location. I’m going to make certain I have the law enforcement number handy to dial on my cell. If they try this crap again I’ll say nothing to them and just report them for harrassment immediately. I’d like to do my part to help everyone out.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

You know Suzuki? Still is right in many ways…I wouldn’t make a specal trip there just to report them. (the eye bite isn’t that good there). But on the other hand….as river front property owners…they should know what the law is. If they do and choose not to abide by it…well, then they have what the law says is comming to them.

I still get a little smirk on my face when I imagine 50 boats in front of their dock..not saying a word…just enjoying their river…

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Klaw,
    we hittin’ that spot Thursday?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Again…on the otherhand…I haven’t been there for a while…have to check it out!

TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

Quote:

It would make me snicker a little if there were about 50 boats jigging in front of there dock some Sat. afternoon …..

Count me in. Let me know when. I love doing that kind of stuff.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Update Oct 2013

Just received a call from a friend that thought we’ve been joking about this imaginary dock and river front owners.

Now I’m not saying this has gone on long enough and I’m not saying there’s a plan for a week from Wednesday, but the crappie bite on the St Croix is on FIRE and I’ve heard rumors this dock is the center of the fire!!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m in!! Keep me posted on the day and time. I plan to hit the Croix tomorrow but I wont be close enough to Afton or I would swing by there for sure.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Now that is digging up an old post!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Brian used to fish for walleyes????

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It was a different Bk Pug.

I’m out for tomorrow.

Cough due to cold.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Bri Bri got the sniff sniffs. I was looking forward to guiding him. Actually we probably would have guided each other. I’ll be there today.

Look out old lady!!!!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Matt sent some photos from this morning I think. I slept the day away.

Looks like they had a very good day on the water!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I hope its at the spot Im going. Not going to do much searching today. Too cold and windy and I don’t have enough time.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.