INDIAN LEGEND OF CATFISH BAR

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

INDIAN LEGEND OF CATFISH BAR

The Northwest is particularly rich in legendary lore of the white man’s predecessor and therefore it is not extraordinary in the least to find a mystic Indian legend enveloping, like a mantle, the surrounding hills and waters of Afton, including the Wisconsin shores.

It was an old established custom among the Chippewas and Sioux that when defeated in battle, the survivors were not to partake of any food, particularly fish, as a measure of self-inflicted discipline or abasement, until their return to the tribal village.

At one time, so runs the legend, the Chippewas went on the warpath against the Sioux and engaged them in a skirmish, on the present site of Red Wing. The battle proved disastrous to the Chippewas–all but two being massacred. Sadly these two surviving warriors wended their way northward, despondent and broken-hearted over their defeat.

Before their eyes rose the picture of grief and wailing that would be their reception when they reached their village, and told the news of their tragic defeat. No more would these departed warriors, now resting in the arms of the Great Spirit, taste the pleasure of the chase or enjoy the thrills of the war path and never again would they sit in the council of the wise hearkening to their elders, old in years and in wisdom.

Famished and fatigued they reached the eastern shores of Lake St. Croix, after many weary hours of travel over hills and streams without food or rest. Here they paused for a brief rest. “Brother,” cried Hard-Heart, “my body is hungering for food. I must eat or I perish.” “But,” expostulated Light-Foot, “we will incur the wrath of the Great Spirit if we transgress this law. Remember our sacred traditions.” Just then they espied a raccoon up in a tree with a fish in its mouth. “Ah!” exclaimed Hard-Heart, “here is an answer to my desires, and since you do not wish to eat, I will.” “Beware, Brother, it is but a temptation placed there by the Evil One,” warned Light-Foot.

But Hard-Heart was deaf to the other’s warnings. He retrieved the fish, and gathered twigs for a fire to prepare the forbidden repast. Light-Foot firmly refused to eat and only reluctantly agreed to carry water to the thirsting Hard-Heart, while he ate.

Finally, overcome by exhaustion, Light-Foot fell asleep, and when he awoke the following morning, he found to his consternation his comrade-in-arms had turned into a huge catfish.

Mercifully, the waters of Lake St. Croix gradually spread a coverlet of sand over the metamorphosed warrior, shielding him forever from the gaze of man, thus forming what is known as Catfish Bar. And sometimes at early dawn or at twilight of a summer’s day, a wraith-like mist may be seen hovering over the Bar. This is the restless spirit of the departed brave again visiting the scene of his transgression.

http://community.pressenter.net/~aftnhist/history.htm

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I didn’t know you were such a good writer BK

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Certainly not. The url didn’t work the first time and I haven’t had a chance to re edit it again.

Thanks for the reminder though.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

A Dakota Sioux Legend

Long ago, when the fish and the animals could talk, the chief of the catfish called council. He said to all, “Hau, brothers. I am very tired of eating things from the mud at the bottom of the lake. I think we should have meat as do the wolves. Let us watch for the moose when he wades into the lake to eat the lily pads and let us spear him and kill him for meat. He comes when the sun is at the edge of the sky, so we will hide among the lilies and grasses and spear him when he comes.”

The other old catfish agreed and the whole tribe hid along the lake where the lilies and pads grew the thickest.

When the sun was at the edge of the sky the moose came. He did not go into the lake right away but ate at the edge where the sweet grasses were. At last he entered the lake and the chief catfish said, “Now, he is in! I will spear him as soon as he gets further from the shore where the water is deeper.”

They all waited until the moose was in deep water and then the Catfish chief speared him as hard as he could!

The big moose bellowed with pain and jumped around in the water. He was hurt and frightened at the same time.

“Ho!”, he said. “Ho! What is this? Who has speared me in my leg? I will find out who has done this!”

He then stuck his head right down into the water until he could see beneath the surface. There, in the grasses, he saw the catfish tribe getting ready to spear him again.

They were going to kill him for his meat! This made him very angry! His eyes turned red and his heart was bad toward the catfish tribe. He bellowed his war cry and said, “Ho! Listen to me! Catfish has speared me in my leg! I will make war on them! I will trample this tribe into the mud! Ho! Hear me! I will go to war!”

He began to jumped up and down all over the edge of the lake and trample all the catfish he could find. He crushed them with his big hooves and trampled them deep into the mud, shouting, “Ho! Catfish speared me in the leg! Ho! I will trample his tribe into the mud!”

He did not stop until all the catfish were trampled into the muddy bottom of the lake. Then he left satisfied he had avenged the wrong done to him.

After the moose left, some of the catfish managed to wriggle out of the mud and get away. Now there are catfish in all lakes and rivers but every one has a flat head because of the war from the big moose that flattened the heads of their grandfathers.

In old times there were very large catfish but now they are very small. They still all carry spears. To this day, they are black and are flat headed and they are so afraid that they stay hidden in the daytime and only swim at night, which serves them right for trying to kill the big moose long ago.

Link<

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

There’s 2 minutes I’ll never get back…

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

+2. But a nice little story

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I liked it

Same here.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Some folks just don’t have much to do during the day.
    Jack

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Once upon a time, there was a non-conforming sparrow who decided not to fly south for the winter.

However, soon the weather turned so cold that he reluctantly started to fly south. In a short time, ice began to form on his wings and he fell to earth in a barnyard, almost frozen.

A cow passed by and crapped on the little sparrow. The sparrow thought it was the end. But, the manure warmed him and defrosted his wings. Warm and happy, able to breathe, he started to sing. Just then a large cat came by and, hearing the chirping, investigated the sounds.
    The cat cleared away the manure, found the chirping bird and promptly ate him.

The moral of the story:

1. Everyone who craps on you is not necessarily your enemy.

2. Everyone who gets you out of the crap is not necessarily your friend.

3. And, if you’re warm and happy in a pile of crap, keep your mouth shut.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Words to live by….thanks for this crap Jeff!

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I’m a plumber!!! what else would you expect?

lunker33
    excelsior

everyone knows the catfish sandbar story, however the crap one was good

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.