The Slows

• fredbart
    St. Paul

My buddy Greg broke his collar bone this summer, after a slow heal we finally finally had the chance to spend the day fishing together. We decided to fish the Croix from Osceola down to Stillwater, its always easier to get down stream so we left his car at Stillwater, headed up to Osceola and launched my boat.

The water is very low and in several places in our adventure we had to get out and walk the boat through some shallower areas. We also did get hung up on a log and had to do some pushing. Going very slow with the motor or trolling motor we didnt have much trouble getting down, unfortunately I think without any rain I will not be able to do this again this year!

We caught plenty of smallmouth and a couple of walleyes in the deeper holes, none of the bass were overly big with most of the nice bass coming in at around a pound. But, who can argue with catching smallies! Most of the day we fishing eighth ounce to 3/8 ounce jigs with Gitzit and Yumm tube baits. We focused most of out attention on rock points and deeper current edges. If you found rocks you got fish. The day was complete with lots of swimming and a great single malt scotch.

I must say it was great to have the slow,s enjoy this amazing river and catching some nice fish.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

Sounds like a good trip! I have canoe’d this before with the family but did not bring the gear. I mean to do this sometime.

Eric

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

We missed you by a couple of miles Fred. Was hanging out a couple of miles north of Osceola today. Caught a couple of suckers while hanging out on the beach. High lite of the day was a snapper coming up to see what my wife’s toes where. Thinking this might be the last swimming day over there for the year. Might have to make another trip or to for fishing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.