Fishing tubes on the Croix

• fredbart
    St. Paul

One of my favorite fishing techniques is using tube jigs on the St. Croix for smallmouth bass. The past couple of weeks this has proven its worth producing some very nice numbers, but most importantly its just plain a fun way to fish. I thought I would share a few particular technigues that have been working well.

The first is jig size. I usually have two poles rigged with a BfishN jigs in either an 1/8th or 3/8th size. Because I bury the head of jig at the top of the tube jig color doesnt matter. To save money as you end up snagging up and loosing jigs to rocks and wood I purchase these bulk and unpainted.

Tubes come in a variety of sizes and weight depending on how its poured. For smallies on the Croix my go to are three and a half inchs fat Gitzits. I usually go with a green pumpkin, but also have other colors ready covering the spectrum. Because these tubes are fairly light they do tear easily, its not a bad idea to have a couple of packs ready in case you run into that hot bite.

I have been fishing deeper rock drops and the inside of current areas. I cast to shore and just before it hits the water I click the bail and either give the lure a slight twitch and or lift my rod. Doing this the tube doesnt immediately snag, allowing the lure to fall through the first break. Keep your line loose and watch carefully, fishing tubes is more finesse orientated and generally the fish will not smack it like they would other baits.

I then try to slowly work the bait down the drop. Try different retrieves. I will sometimes continue to softly pop the bait, letting it yoyo down the break. Other times I will slowly lift the bait using very soft pulsating action.

When I know I am relatively snag free I will let the tube fall to the botton, you can drag it slowly. What I like to do is to use a half drag and half pulsating retrieve. As I drag the tube I will add enough action to move the tentacles without over working the jig itself. This particular techniques also triggers the occasional walleye.

I cannot stress enough that this is a soft presentation and generally the bass tend to pick pick the bait up more the smack it. Keep just enough tension so you stay in contact with the bait, but not enought to overwork the bait. This is the fun part.

Besides the two rods rigged for tubes I also like to have a third available, this one I rig with a paddle tail or a four inch worm. I use this more as a cover bait as generally I fish these a little faster.

I have not found the fish particularly bunched up or overly aggressive, but by working the right water by the end of the day we have ended up with good numbers fishing in a way that is just plain a blast.

Smallmouth are such a blast, treat the resource thoughtfully, carefully release your fish and get back at um.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Great info Fred. Been spending some time on the croix the last few weekends. Did get into a mess of smallies the last trip over stacked up on a current seam in a little side channel. They fell for the old hook and crawler trick. Never meet a smallie yet that could resist a night crawler.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.