Finally something to post!

• fredbart
    St. Paul

Why don’t you ever post? Saturday when I was out on Pool Two with Drew, he asked me how come I had not posted this year. I shrugged my shoulders and simply told him that I haven’t really had anything to post! I didn’t really have the best spring/summer for fishing sure I got out enough but never really put a good pattern together. I didn’t have any stories to share. Maybe this fall will be different!
    This morning I meet my buddy Greg at O’Brian State Park where he left his car, we headed up to Osceola and launched for a trip down river. Knowing that the river was falling and s the sand bars are harder to navigate and I did not want to risk running back up steam. For those of you interested in fishing this stretch of river this system worked great, we spent the better part of the day without fishing spots that had been pressured and most of the time we had the spots we fished to ourselves. Lots of space, lots of quiet and minimal traffic all on a very beautiful river then add not much wind and cooperative fish we couldn’t ask for much more.
    After launching we immediately got into smaller fish but who could ever argue with cooperative smallmouth. The bite continued all day and by the time we pulled the boat we easily caught over 30 bass with size being all over the board. We did manage three that went over the 3 pound mark and for myself these were by far the nicest bass I have caught on this stretch of river. All fish were clearly feeding well and released.
    Throughout the day we made a couple of adjustments that seemed to trigger more fish. In the morning we mixed up a variety of plastics and jig weights but we quickly found the most success came fishing an eighth ounce jig on a Gitzit tube. We targeted any rocky shorelines and the best were ones that had good current seams and a quick drop into 6 to 8 feet of water. We primarily fished the top end of these runs, whenever we got fish we would motor back up hitting these same areas more than once. A key was to cast right up to shore, as soon as the tube hit the water give the lure a sharp snap causing the lure to make a more vertical drop. We did get fish deeper which tended to be larger, but we also snagged up more. Another key pattern was that when the tube hit the water we would see smaller young of the year minnows scattering on the surface. When this happened get ready we would almost always get bite. After a great day on the water, a thumb chewed up from lipping fish here is hoping todays trip is just the beginning of a fall run worth talking about!

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Great report and read.

louis-robinson
    dodge co. mn

very nice read.. last time i was one the “croix” was around last year this time and reading this post took me right back… very beautiful and fun body of water to fish.. gotta love the rip-rap smalley fishing..

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Nice report

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Way to go Fred! Mike was talking about going in that direction or pool 2. I went to the Flower Gardens in
    St. Cloud with the GF and her daughter. It was almost as beautiful as smallmouths and walleyes….

Joel

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Ended up sticking around the house this afternoon. Kicking myself for that. Was going to go try around Franconia for some bass, crappies and small mouth. Have you been up that way yet Fred.

Think it was last weekend that we where hanging out south of Osceola on the sand bars with the family. Still had my big boat out but figured it was the last time for the year it would make it threw that stretch. From Franconia to Osceola should still be good.

Let me know if you are looking for some company over there Fred.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

#3 smallies are pretty good fish for Pool 2 in my opinion. At least for me as I’ve never been able to catch anything larger with any consistency.

Thanks for the report. With a little luck I’ll get to start spending some time down there myself later in Sept.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

They are not to bad for this section of the croix either. . I do think the smallies are getting a little bigger on pool 2 this year to.

fredbart
    St. Paul

Hope to post photoes later today, I need to get them from my buddy, unfortunately his phone took a short dip in the river yesterday.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

cell phones and dips in river are never a good thing.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.