St. Croix on Sunday

• fredbart
    St. Paul

Yesterday afternoon I put the boat in at O’Brian. At the landing I was talking with a fellow angler who had done very well the previous day. With the high water he had been having his best success fishing behind deadfalls (the bigger the deadfall the better) and behind islands. The fish have been actively chasing minnows in behind these. Most of the fish he had been catching were silvers and smallmouth. This pattern gave me several nice fish.
    As the day went on I switched up looking for larger fish and began focusing on fishing current seams using tubes on a 8th ounce jig. This stretch of river has many smaller streams and springs and when I found these areas I fished below them usually with good success. I think these areas have more emerging weeds which pulls in minnow and nicer fish. With warmer water the fish definitely had a little more pull. It was really nice getting aggressive hits. I also fished rocky points and other structure with good success.
    This was the second time I have fished this area. It seems like a very nice fishery and you can’t beat the quiet and scenery. I look forward to learning more about this stretch of river.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Good to hear there are still some whites going in that area. Great area to fish and take the kids swimming. I take it with the higher water levels getting around was still pretty easy?

fredbart
    St. Paul

Mike: Which is why I went. Very easy to get around, I worked as far as the Apple River. Forgot to mention I watched a boat get several walleyes pulling spinner rigs on on of the more distinct points below Marine. Looked like he was fishing in about 10 ft of water.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.