Credit card with great rewards

• tim hurley

Hard to believe but I have really good credit, I should be using a credit card with rewards. I hate to even Google search this, does anyone even know a reputable site for a search?Or of a good card? BTW my advice to all who will listen is to put all big purchases on your credit card, if you run into a warranty or other problem Visa will help you get a refund.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I’m not sure how good points are with personal cards because you may be paying an additional fee that is more than the potential reward.

If you own a business and not getting good rewards you’re losing out on free money as the cash reward is non-taxable.

Reef W

For cards with no annual fee I split between these two:

Fidelity has a card that gives back 2% on everything and will automatically put your rewards into your investment account which will automatically go into money market fund. Just sitting in SPAXX, the default money market, pays 4.99% right now. You can withdraw from investment account anytime just like a checking account.

Capital One Savor gives 3% on grocery and restaurants but only 1% on everything else.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m not sure how good points are with personal cards because you may be paying an additional fee that is more than the potential reward.

If you own a business and not getting good rewards you’re losing out on free money as the cash reward is non-taxable.

Now ya done it, Herr Walz will be all over that before lunch tomorrow.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

rotflol rotflol rotflol dutchy ……….thats probably true!!! doah

Sharon
    SE Metro

Cabela’s MasterCard has a point system on all purchases and the points don’t expire. You can accumulate $$ to Cabela’s to buy merchandise (including firearms) or also to buy your MN and WI hunting and fishing licenses! waytogo

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I use two:

1. Amex card (don’t remember which one. Think it’s blue preferred or something). When I signed up your first year was free and $99 a year after that. This card gets me:

6% of groceries
    3% all gas station purchases
    6% off streaming services
    1% off everything else

2. Visa card through US Bank. This card allows you to choose categories. The ones I select are below. This card is free.

5% off sporting goods stores
    5% fast food
    2% restaurants

Between the 2 cards I probably average about $100 back a month

Onthewater

We use a Costco visa for gas(4%) + restaurants(3%), and Citi double cash master card for everything else(2%). The Costco rewards are only redeemable at Costco though. No annual fees on either one unless you count the Costco membership that we already had.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Sorry about that. doah

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Id be more concerned about all the places adding 3 to 5% on all credit card transactions. You would be suprised by the places that will also take 3% off when you ask about paying in cash.

“Rewards” are not free, you are paying for it.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Cabela’s MasterCard has a point system on all purchases and the points don’t expire. You can accumulate $$ to Cabela’s to buy merchandise (including firearms) or also to buy your MN and WI hunting and fishing licenses! waytogo

Had to cancel this card after 20+ years of using it. Terrible customer service. They can’t correctly bill or process a payment on a consistent basis. If you have great credit, this card will ding that rating it in short order – IMO. FWIW we full pay every bill and they screwed up every one once BPS took it over.

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Amex card (don’t remember which one. Think it’s blue preferred or something). When I signed up your first year was free and $99 a year after that. This card gets me:

6% of groceries
    3% all gas station purchases
    6% off streaming services
    1% off everything else

Yep, Amex on everything right now. waytogo

-J.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

Chase Unlimited Visa is worth a look. Great service when you need them too.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

US Bank POWER card is great for biz. They will check who you are paying via check and contact those Vendors to negotiate them accepting the card. They will also negotiate the rate.
    Love the cash back, just cashed in 3Mil points. That buys a lotta Corona and Tabs.

Personal –
    Citi AAdvantage Executive World Elite because I travel quite a bit. I get miles that pile up and status plus free entry at all Admirals club.

Brittman

Verizon and Delta AmEx are the main ones. Use Ford, Discover and Chase when they are on 5% or more.

If you use Verizon … look at the card the return percentages are very good across many categories.

To the post above … I have never been charged to use a credit card without the vendor telling me or posting a sign-up front. Typically, a small business. If I know the vendor and they discount for cash, I will typically bring cash along. I will also pay cash or (even go find and use a check) if I know I am helping a small business out.

Some larger companies actually give you a discount on your bill if you use their card. Target is a good example.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

If you hunt and fish, Alaskan Airlines card is hard to beat. Every year you get a ‘companion fare’ for $99 anywhere they fly. From the midwest to Alaska for the two of us every year is $1k.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Id be more concerned about all the places adding 3 to 5% on all credit card transactions. You would be suprised by the places that will also take 3% off when you ask about paying in cash.

“Rewards” are not free, you are paying for it.

The merchants are just passing along what the card companies are charging them.

Brittman

The merchants try to pass along the credit card charges, but some operate on pretty thin margins and may be unable to.

MX1825

I like tickets that show the cash price total AND the CC total including the fees.
    I’ve never heard of a CC Company that charges 5%. I have seen businesses that charge that amount. It adds $$$ to their profits.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I have a Capital One Silver – no fees and 1 1/2% on everything. Great CS.

But if I was to get a card now it would be the Fidelity 2% back.

If the merchant charges a fee I usually pay cash or check. Except my business Insurance charges a straight $4.00 fee. My rewards is way more than that.

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

If you use facebook, join a group named FBS Elite-travel and points by financebuzz! It’s a great group to learn how to make the most on credit cards, it’s not about the points earned on daily spends, it’s all about SUB’s (sign up bonus). You can easily earn thousands of dollars per year, especially if you are two player mode (married). That’s not to mention “status” that can be earned and free hotel/resort nights.

big_g
    Isle, MN

At my prior employer, we charged 3% to “use” a credit card to pay for services. Business’ are charged a fee by the CC to accept them and when you do millions of dollars in business a year, every million at 3% adds up to $30,000. Not chump change.

Charles

Costco or scheels for points for me.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Capital One 3% back on everything. They do not have this offer anymore. That way I am not tied to any store or airline. Best deal ever.

Riverrat

I like tickets that show the cash price total AND the CC total including the fees.
    I’ve never heard of a CC Company that charges 5%. I have seen businesses that charge that amount. It adds $$$ to their profits.

A typical “high” cost charge for a small business is about 3.5%. Some of the other providers are third party then you get into 5%. 2.15% is really good. Credit cards are not free someone is making money off each transaction, and it isn’t the customer or the business. And it all applies to debit cards too.

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

US Bank POWER card is great for biz. They will check who you are paying via check and contact those Vendors to negotiate them accepting the card. They will also negotiate the rate.

Waiting to be contacted… But I’m not accepting the card. grin

Musky Ed

BP visa for us. 15 cents off every gallon of gas, plus credit back on other purchases. Our grocery store is linked to our bp card at bp gas stations for rewards. At times we get 30 cents off per gallon of gas.

mojogunter

American Express Delta Reserve card is all I use now. Never have to pay to fly anymore and get free upgraded seats most of the time I fly. Their customer service is unmatched, if there is ever a problem with a charge or purchase they will take care of it right away. If you travel by plane a lot this is a good choice.

MX1825

Handled CC in business for 30 years. Last few years before retirement was costing me $1800 to $2400 a month in fees. Overall it was 2.1% on transactions. That included the 10 cent swipe/transaction fee.
    Discover and AM EX were the most expensive cards to accept. Hated those. flame Thankfully there wasn’t a lot of them.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.