Credit card with great rewards

• ThunderLund78

I also have the Cabela’s Master Card, and while I keep saying I’m going to switch over to Scheel’s (more for convenience of location) I haven’t yet. I personally have not had issues with billing errors, etc. I think it’s 1% cash back on purchases and 3% back on Cabelas/Bass Pro purchases. Doesn’t sound like a lot but when you have two kids in traveling hockey, I rarely have to spend money when I decide it’s time for a new rod or do my annual deer hunting stock-up trip. Points always seem to be there. So find your favorite store and sign-up, I think the benefits are all about the same.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I have been using Citi Double cash (2% on everything). The best thing about this card is at some gas stations you can spend 25 of your points to get $0.50 off per gallon. 1 point = 1 cent

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

To the post above … I have never been charged to use a credit card without the vendor telling me or posting a sign-up front. Typically, a small business.

The merchant agreement with all major credit cards forbid charging the customer a credit card fee. Yes, there are ways to get away with it, but if Uncle Visa decides you have been charging a fee, they can claw back the money from every sal where a merchant applied the fee.

big_g
    Isle, MN

State Law trumps a credit cards rules… in Hawaii, if you post a sign that you charge a fee to use a credit card, it is perfectly legal. I am pretty sure if a customer was told be VISA they cannot use their credit card at the establishment of their choice, VISA would lose customers, not the business charging the fee.

Reef W

The card companies have allowed surcharges since 2013 and there’s only 3 or 4 states where it’s illegal.

tim hurley

yes those merchants hate paying the fee, they should consider that if someone needs a toaster and pays cash they will likely get the basic 2 toast push it down cheapy-paying with a card they will get the deluxe multi function 4 piece, warming mode & buy a few more things in your store too. That said pay the fee and be happy, charging the customer a fee is a ‘buzz kill’ and will cost you more.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I have the Cabelas card (which is thru Capital One). I use it to accumulate the points for stuff at Cabelas. I currently have the Silver card but its based on how much is spent each year to retain so it can change year to year

I have been thinking about switching to the Scheels card but am not familiar enough with how their card works to know if its the same or better deal. If its the same (or better), I would switch because they have a better selection on the fishing gear I get

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Waiting to be contacted… But I’m not accepting the card. grin
    [/quote]

Now that’s funny right there.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

As a merchant, I do not charge a fee. The CC company does. Credit has a cost. If you want to pay me in cash or check we be good, if not, pay the fee. Why would the merchant absorb that fee?
    If people in todays world don’t understand that, then they have their head in the sand.

MX1825

As a merchant, I do not charge a fee. The CC company does. Credit has a cost. If you want to pay me in cash or check we be good, if not, pay the fee. Why would the merchant absorb that fee?
    If people in todays world don’t understand that, then they have their head in the sand.

I agree it should be posted when you enter the establishment, not after they swipe your card and ask you to sign. Example: restaurants

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Discover has been the very best for me in terms of customer service, never once a billing error, and every other year I call and ask them for 12 months with 0% interest and they give it to me. But I assume that last part is highly credit score dependent. This year I called, locked in at 0% APR for 12 months, then went and bought a gun safe and a beretta 1301. Nice to know I can just pay it however I want for the next 12 months and not accrue any interest.

Discover “Travel” rewards is essentially 1.5% back on everything but they call it miles. You can cash out miles for cash, or use it to pay for travel stuff, pay your bill, etc. And there’s no penalty for choosing either route, it’s all worth the same regardless (you get $1/ per mile) so I just refer to it as 1.5% cash back.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I’ll add the two times I’ve had fraud on my account, Discover took my call, cancelled all charges and reimbursed anything already processed to my account in about 10 minutes. Try that with any bank, hell even my credit union takes a big investigation and 4-5 days to reimburse. And I like my credit union but I’ll be damned the fraud support at Discover is top tier.

Gitchi Gummi

One of the best things about credit cards is how much more protection you get as a consumer. It is much easier to dispute a charge on a credit card. Also, chargebacks give the consumer another way to dispute charges when a company is doing something shady although this can be abused by shady customers.

I like to see where every dollar of mine goes which is much more difficult if you pay for things in cash.

Dang cashiers these days look at you wide eyed if you try and pay in cash. Seems like they’ve never had to count change before. I also think its annoying when you’re standing in a super long line at a busy retail location and you get the one guy trying to pay in exact change. C’mon man!

Credit cards make life a heck of a lot easier and I’m all about simplifying my life. Are you cash guys still paying your bills every month via sending in a check thru the mail? Man that sounds like a lot of extra work not to mention the time I’d waste doing that and the cost of stamps. Not to mention the status of the USPS and how much mail gets lost. About every other year I send a card to a niece/nephew with a check that somehow doesn’t make its way to the recipient. Now some shady guy has your bank account number and routing number from the check in the envelope.

Also, I very rarely see places that give you a cash discount. Seems to be limited to the mom and pop type places or smaller businesses. I can’t think of anywhere I frequently spend money that gives a cash discount. Only place I can think of is a dive bar in a rural area

CaptainMusky

I havent written an actual check in years. Heck I dont even have any checks at the moment. Regarding the credit vs debit card scenario and fraud, most debit cards at least through banks are secured through Visa or Mastercard. I have had a fraudulent charge and had no issue getting my money back.

Ripjiggen

I have the Cabelas card (which is thru Capital One). I use it to accumulate the points for stuff at Cabelas. I currently have the Silver card but its based on how much is spent each year to retain so it can change year to year

I have been thinking about switching to the Scheels card but am not familiar enough with how their card works to know if its the same or better deal. If its the same (or better), I would switch because they have a better selection on the fishing gear I get

It’s better.

stevenoak

I had Cabela’s from when it came available till Jonnie Morris bought them. Customer service went to crap with everything else. The New Balance exclusive shoes I bought for years were no more. The last time I went in with $200 in points I walked out with nothing. They didn’t have Trilene line and a couple other common fishing things I wanted. Wasn’t paying $8+ for a shad raps, even if it was with points. Let my wife burn the points for some clothes and cancelled the card.
    Luckily all my old school Cabela’s hunting clothes, some made in the USA are still in good shape. Switched to Scheel’s. Customer service was back in Omaha Nebraska. Way better selection of local interest hunting and fishing stuff. And I think they still extend the warranty on electronics bought with the card. Should get a gas card. Half of my driving is cross country, so would need to go with a national brand.

CaptainMusky

Scheels is definitely the way to go these days!

Brittman

Discover detects fraud before me. Text or a phone call … they are on it 24/7.

Gitchi Gummi

isn’t it just 3% on scheels purchases and 1% one everything else? Are there other rewards along with it or what am I missing?

tswoboda

isn’t it just 3% on scheels purchases and 1% one everything else? Are there other rewards along with it or what am I missing?

Sometimes they have bonuses where you get extra points or gift cards during Scheels events but generally yes it’s just the 1%/3%

I think you’re insinuating it doesn’t make sense to use it anywhere but at Scheels and I 100% agree.

Gitchi Gummi

gotcha, that makes sense tswoboda. just wasn’t sure if I was missing some perk or something

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Black which you can get out of the gate is 6% at Scheels and 1.5% on anything else.
    I basically use my points to do all my Christmas shopping without spending anything.
    It works for me.
    Wife uses her card for travel miles. Can’t recall which one.

isu22andy

Hmmm – there’s a Scheels black card ? I was not aware . I thought it was the standard 1 percent back and 3 percent .

Viewing 23 posts - 31 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.