Creative spelling?

• basseyes

M-eye spah-l-ingh is-snot th-ah graightist bah-ought sah-memes lah-ike peaple aur almoist doughnuting eats un perpose leahatly oar eh’s dis whrungh?

A couple thins hear or their seams normall, but grilled chease samdwiches it seams like their’s morr things spealled wrongh then write l8ly and I’m thinking of going to school four being a cop on the interweb for grammer and spealling missteaks. Wander if’s deer’s moony inn dat?

With spell check, higher education and all the tools available, kinda baffling how lazy we’ve gotten in regards to spelling, grammar and math.

39degrees

M-eye spah-l-ingh is-snot th-ah graightist bah-ought sah-memes lah-ike peaple aur almoist doughnuting eats un perpose leahatly oar eh’s dis whrungh?

A couple thins hear or their seams normall, but grilled chease samdwiches it seams like their’s morr things spealled wrongh then write l8ly and I’m thinking of going to school four being a cop on the interweb for grammer and spealling missteaks. Wander if’s deer’s moony inn dat?

With spell check, higher education and all the tools available, kinda baffling how lazy we’ve gotten in regards to spelling, grammar and math.

Can we start by all agreeing that alot is not a word?

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Problem is most people these days don’t actually read much anymore, mostly limiting themselves to social media posts.

So much can be learned by reading actual literature…like books.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Problem is most people these days don’t actually read much anymore, mostly limiting themselves to social media posts.

Ain’t that the truth. Ma and I are avid readers and read at least an hour to an hour and a half each day.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I was just was thinking how bad I am at grammar and spelling. Always been that way and I never could get the nuances right. Lately its getting worse.
    I understand the frustrations of those that are fluent in writing trying to navigate the written word. I do see the laziness when it comes to the written word but sometimes there are other reasons for how comunication by words can show lack of precision.

Now, I could teach a certain person to back a trailer down a curvy road till my eyes bleed and that person just can’t do it. So is there something wrong with him?

B-man

It’s just going to get worse.

There is nothing better than having the time and solitude to sit down and read an actual book.

I fear they are going the way of the newspaper (an archaic form of communication where ink is stamped onto tree pulp, similar to a book)

Before I had kids I read ‘alot’, now I’m lucky to get one in a month. It’s so much easier on the eyes reading real paper. I love it, but don’t have the opportunity to do it enough.

bigpike

If my spelling and or grammar ever offended someone I would like to formerly apologize for it now. Sorry

munchy
    NULL

Can we also all agree that 2 and 4 are not words or letters and do not make typing faster. If I see a post that has a sentence like ‘B4 i go2 te lake i lik 2 luk at prty flwers 2’ I smack my head and wonder why parents allow their six year old to type their post.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I am not very good at punctuation of the written word even though I should be—my daughter is a middle school English teacher. She used to correct my grammar etc. all the time but she finally gave up. whistling

Sharon
    SE Metro

Exactly! Which is why it’s important to correct grammar and spelling when it’s incorrect. Memes are the worst. Everytime someone shares a meme with errors I cringe, figuring that the more it gets shared the more it becomes likely people forget the correct way to write. I’d hate to see reading and writing become a lost art, but I’m afraid it may become a reality some day.

I’ve always enjoyed writing and became a pleasure reader shortly after college. Grammar is one of my odd passions, but I’m not overly-crazy with it. I don’t mind slang, occasional run-on sentences, or stricter rules like avoiding ending sentences in a preposition, but I do like to encourage people to abide by the basics.

Don’t think grammar, spelling, and proofreading are all that important? During the recent riots and unrest in Mpls, the WSP police department posted on Facebook about some looting and damage that occurred on Robert Street. They ended the post with the sentence “… at this time there is immediate threat to the public.” People started freaking out and for about 4 minutes the post remained that way. Until they noticed their mistake and fixed it to say “… at this time there is NO immediate threat to the public.”

Knowledge and wisdom are only useful to us as a society if we can share the information with one another, and we do that by communicating. waytogo

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

It’s just going to get worse.

There is nothing better than having the time and solitude to sit down and read an actual book.

I fear they are going the way of the newspaper (an archaic form of communication where ink is stamped onto tree pulp, similar to a book)

I’d hate to see reading and writing become a lost art, but I’m afraid it may become a reality some day.

And add this to all the other downward spiraling that we’re witnessing currently.

It is rather discouraging, thankful though that there’s still some who hold out and value some hopefully eternal disciplines.

Extended and thorough deep reading not only teaches grammar, spelling, composition…but also an entire world of history, fantasy, fiction, reality, which opens your mind more than a picture. A happening or scene is described in the written word, your imagination is now responsible on how you see that.

Creative thinking is what it germinates.

Now…? Those seeds are falling on dry dirt without any incentive to nurture and nourish reading as any benefit to future generations.

I see it, they all play games on their “devices” sad

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.