Cougar shot in western Wi.

• Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

DNR email I received today.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1574.jpeg

Wildlifeguy

I’ll have to call my folks, I’m sure the ol’hometown is abuzz with this one. All my relations down in the bluffs would tell me they’d see them when I was a kid, I never did though.

Gregg Gunter

Wow they get 15-20 confirmed reports every year! I would have thought 1-2 was a lot. I’m wondering if it was a young male looking for a mate. They get pushed out by the dominant male.
    One made it to the east coast before getting killed by a vehicle.

Hoyt4
    NULL

One was in Carver MN last night caught on camera. Seen this morning on the news.

Baitwaster
    South metro

Saw the video of the Carver cougar –

They “think” it was…

Sure AF wasn’t a T-rex…

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

This was taken about 4 miles East from where we have family land and hunt in Buffalo County. I do not know the person who shot it personally, but I do know “of” them so to speak.

Although they do wander and they are rare subjects dispersed from populations further West, this one in particular had been on 2 different farms’ cameras in the past 3 weeks.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Did he shoot it with his bow/arrow? Hard to imagine someone being able to whip out their bow and arrow if a cougar was bearing down on him and he was in “imminent danger.”

dirtywater

Did he shoot it with his bow/arrow? Hard to imagine someone being able to whip out their bow and arrow if a cougar was bearing down on him and he was in “imminent danger.”

Yeah, I’d think the DNR will have lots of questions about this one. Not accusing anyone of anything, but they will need to be convinced.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Yeah, I’d think the DNR will have lots of questions about this one. Not accusing anyone of anything, but they will need to be convinced.

The article posted didn’t state how the animal was taken. It only said he was “archery hunting and felt their safety was at risk.” Maybe the guy was sitting in a tree stand and the angry lion was climbing up the tree, snarling at him?

Its possible the archery hunter had a firearm with him too and dispatched the animal as it was bearing down on him? I think you can carry a firearm if you have a valid carry permit while your archery hunting. At least in MN you can.

Lots of questions here…

CaptainMusky

Id bet dollars to donuts he shot it with a pistol. A lot of archery hunters I know carry a pistol with them.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Where did you get the “imminent danger”? Or “bearing down on him”?

This is the problem with these situations involving cougars. People spin up wild yarns based on nothing and pretty soon we have roving cougars conducting coordinated attacks on Wisconsin school playgrounds in broad daylight.

The only thing the press release said is that the hunter “encountered the cougar” and “felt their safety was at risk”. It does not say what weapon was used.

Few things seem to strike fear in the hearts of middle Sconnie like a cougar report. Despite the fact that their presence is nothing new.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Where did you get the “imminent danger”? Or “bearing down on him”?

The terminology used is “felt their safety was at risk.”

I only speculated on the imminent danger and bearing down part lol.

There’s still more questions than answers if you ask me.

Riverrat

If the cougar had just cooperated this would have never happened.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Few things seem to strike fear in the hearts of middle Sconnie like a cougar report. Despite the fact that their presence is nothing new.

Theres plenty of them in those local bars I hear jester

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

the terminology used is “felt their safety was at risk.”

Yes, that’s why I quoted it.

Theres plenty of them in those local bars I hear

Yes, I’d say if one wants to feel the rush of being stalked by a cougar, by far the most available hunting would be to position oneself for an encounter with The Greater Wisconsin Crossroads Bar Cougar. This sub-species is known to stalk prey with alarming frequency and the hapless victim is often so incapacitated as to be able to offer little resistance. Or so I’ve heard from nature documentaries, obviously.

Riverrat

I wrote a whole college paper on getting hunted by a cougar while out fishing. It was all true. I sacrificed my fishing buddy to make it out of there alive. They got married and divorced so she’s definitely back on the prowl.

Deuces

For clarity in the article it states those questions were asked, it was investigated by the dnr and state attorney and no charges were filed.

Ran into a couple of those cougars at night grouse speaks of in a cheap motel pool this summer after enjoying the spirits of an all day festival…hard to overcome one let alone 2. My gun only shoots blanks nowadays so not sure if that helps the situation or not doah doah

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

It’s widely accepted that it’s the same cougar that was seen on trail cameras just North of the Alma, WI area in recent weeks. I’ve been sent questions and the vague articles through text message from people who know we hunt in the area.

With an investigation still ongoing, all I will add is that it was killed between Mondovi WI and Alma WI and that the guy who did kill the Cougar doesn’t want any hoopla related to it. I have heard a seemingly factual account of how it was killed from someone who hunts the adjacent farm, but again would rather let this person keep their private matters to themselves with an investigation taking place. As the article said there are not any charges being currently pursued.

I am sure he’s well aware of the crazies from environmental groups, animal rights, and whoever else that has some strong opinions related to the incident.

Wildlifeguy

That’s wild, old Dovi boy here. I’m sure I’ll get the scoop over Thanksgiving. Used to hunt over near Urne, long ago, wonder if I know the guy?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^it was killed further East of Urne. Closer to Gilmanton.

…and you’re the first person I’ve ever known to actually admit they’re from Mondovi smash

Wildlifeguy

…and you’re the first person I’ve ever known to actually admit they’re from Mondovi smash

The fact you’re aware Gilmanton exists speaks volumes … whistling

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Oh I am definitely not from Gilmanton…I have internet access AND didn’t marry any of my relatives. waytogo

Wildlifeguy

Oh I am definitely not from Gilmanton…I have internet access AND didn’t marry any of my relatives. waytogo

Internet access? I think they’re still on the party lines aren’t they?

dirtywater

Dovi is a special kinda place. My mom grew up on a farm between maxville and urne, we used to go to the Buffalo county fair every summer and I fished for trout in little bear creek off county rd k. Small world.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Nobody should have heard about its death unless it was attacking someone. Was it attacking someone when it was killed?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

dirtywater^

…not too far from the current “Stone Barn” pizza place and the big Weisenbeck Farms?

That entire area from Alma over to Cream – north through Tell, Praag, and Modena – to Maxville, Urne and up towards Durand is beautiful country. I could drive those backroads for days and not get bored. I cut my teeth for many years of my youth fishing the Chippewa River there and hunting those bluffs.

Wildlifeguy

dirtywater^

…not too far from the current “Stone Barn” pizza place and the big Weisenbeck Farms?

That entire area from Alma over to Cream – north through Tell, Praag, and Modena – to Maxville, Urne and up towards Durand is beautiful country. I could drive those backroads for days and not get bored. I cut my teeth for many years of my youth fishing the Chippewa River there and hunting those bluffs.

Heh, I might have gone to prom with the gal who runs the Stone Barn, depending on who’s asking grin

dirtywater

dirtywater^

Yeah that exact area. We have probably explored some of the same bluff country and im sure we know some of the same folks. I like my relative anonymity on the internet so I’ll leave it at that and drop you a PM wave

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Hard to say what the scenario was, but I can easily see someone feeling threatened and shooting a cougar with a bow. There are plenty of accounts where a cat stalked someone within eyesight for a considerable amount of time leaving time for a shot. I know if it was me, I would not wait until it was “bearing down” on me to take the shot. Or, imagine being in a stand with one eyeing you up as the sun is setting.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.