Confession

• 3Rivers

Did y’all see the video floating around of a high profile professional fishermen and guide, confessing to fishing for walleyes out of season on the Ford River and then explaining how he got a ticket for it from MIDNR?

Several 30+” fish caught (and a bunch more between 28 and 30) documented and released on his social media accounts.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hope it hurts.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Post Eric’s video here so I can find it tonight 3 Rivers.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

He did not take ownership for it. He claims he was fishing for smallmouth even after posting a video saying very clearly he was fishing for giant walleyes.

All for what? Self promotion. He’s only getting out ahead of it to minimize the impact on social media.

What a POS.

big_g
    Isle, MN

That is called CPMBR…. Catch Photo Measure Brag & finally Release… AKA.. fishing for Walleyes as he said !!!

LabDaddy1

Guy kind of bugged me from the first time I saw him on 39 hours, to be honest.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Bravo to the co for actually following through with a citation in spite of all the mansplaining.

Gitchi Gummi

“Casting for walleyes”. Blasts it all over his social media. Then gets a ticket for poaching and then claims he wasn’t fishing for walleyes. What an idiot. Good riddance to this annoying clown.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

He seems to be a POS of the highest order, I fell down a rabbit hole of him harassing other anglers (mainly kids with YouTube accounts) who were on “his spots” a few years ago. He seems to love controversy, a lot more than following the law apparently.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’m thinking the backlash won’t be kind.

Ripjiggen

Eric is a douche… has been for awhile.

dirtywater

Have enjoyed some of his videos in the past— mostly around targeting big brownies near the harbor. But what a giant dbag.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Not that I would ever hold a fisherman on a pedestal, but the majority of the personalities I’ve met who make it big fishing are a “Don’t Meet your Heroes” type.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If he looks like an idiot and sounds like an idiot…

He must be an idiot

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Never heard of the guy! doah

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Fishing for smallmouth but only posting walleyes in the video? must not know how to fish for smallies. I have seen him on other videos and shows around and heard from people that have seen him in action around Milwaukee, havent heard anything positive over the years but I have no first hand experience with him

MX1825

Ran into him once. WAD!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Who is the guy. I guess I don’t follow much for online fishing videos. Find them all to be largely boring.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Who is the guy. I guess I don’t follow much for online fishing videos. Find them all to be largely boring.

He was in the 39hours episodes on youtube and a JMO show. I believe most of his fishing and guiding is done on the east side of WI around Lake Michigan and a little in Madison

Deuces

I must be the only one who doesn’t give 2 $hits about what a guy couple states away is fishing for.

lol

Ripjiggen

You are not the only guy. Just the only guy that came up with a picture to post about how you don’t care about it online. Not a double picture or double post so kudos. jester

Just given some grief fyi… toast

Deuces

Just ordered that sticker for my water bottle today so it was a timely and easy copy paste toast

tswoboda

Once upon a time there was a doozy of an “ice fishing” video of James fishing with the Haat Daag. Not gonna lie it’s incredibly entertaining.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I hope people start trolling him with this on all of his media accounts. How many bass did he catch that day?

Attachments:
    1. eric-haataja-WALLEYE-CLOSED.jpg

3Rivers

Once upon a time there was a doozy of an “ice fishing” video of James fishing with the Haat Daag. Not gonna lie it incredibly entertaining.

I won’t direct post the vid but this might help find it, “Unreel!! Crazy ice fishing Must see!!!! Wisconsin Fishing”

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

To be honest, other than being a idiot and posting the video of it, he didn’t do anything that lots of fishermen here in Minnesota have done for many years. For many years the walleye and Bass opener was always 2 weeks prior to the bass opener. Tell me how you can tell the difference between someone fishing for walleye and pike with a Jerkbait or jig with a twister tail Vs fishing for bass with a Jerkbait or jig with a twister tail. Many fishermen here in Minnesota did it all the time. That was part of the reason they changed Bass to catch and release starting on the normal opener. This was just the opposite. Bass was open and walleye was not. They would never been able to ticket him and have it hold up in court without the video. That said, I think he truly knew what he was doing was wrong and probably truly targeting those walleye.

ranger680t

He was using livescope (admitted it in another video). Pretty easy to tell the difference between walleye and bass on livescope. And if isn’t, it’s easy to see that you’re casting to the same school of fish and pulling the same 28-30″ walleye ought to tell you something.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m guessing lots of guys here have done the same thing. Catching the ” wrong ” species out of season and having fun doing it. Or fishing smallies on Mille lacs and hammering eyes during closure.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.