smallies are still running

• sharkbait
    The mud puddle in western Ks

Got out of work last night in time to get in just over a hour of fishing before dark.The walleye must have been slow because boats were already leaving at 5:40 when I got on the water.Just had waders and a handful of lures but managed to get a dozen good smallies and a couple of white bass.Lost a couple also one just pulled out the other one thought he was superman and threw the lure midair.Wade they do get big had a couple 17-19″ fat fish didn’t have a scale but they were hawgs.All on jigs in 3-6′ of water with mud bottom.Still think they are messing with the crawdads on the mud.Sounds like an ugly day for fishing tonight 35-45 mph winds and 65 degrees for a high.Think I’ll wait for the front to go through and try Saturday and Sunday.May have to float the Lund and try for eyes a little then.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

sharkbait-
    I heard the walleye are just slamming slabs right now. A good friend of mine got 9th at the walleye tournament out there last week and I believe they had 17 lbs. That would make for some pretty good weights for 1st-8th place.

sharkbait

They cancelled Saturday in the tournament because of high winds.My kids were dead set we were going so we did.3 dink whities was it and it was howling out 4′ waves and blowing sand.Didn’t catch up with anybody from the tournament Sunday but a guide I know was leaving on Tuesday when I got there and said it was awful slow on Tuesday.Winds blowing about 30 mph right now but the weather is supposed to break and be a beautiful weekend .Hope they are right it would be the first one in 3 months.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Thanks for the info, Shark!

We were out there a couple years back putting some time into throwing baits just for smallies, but we never did that well! We fished around the southern natural rock areas. Would sure like to get out there and try all that again.

sharkbait

Get ahold of me here or email [email protected] if you want to try things out here sometime.Got a house at the lake with plenty of room.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Cool, thanks for that generous invite, Shark! Who knows, maybe I’ll have the time to make it out there this year. If not this year, hopefully next spring again, we’ll see. I’ll be in touch!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.