colors and baits for big gills

• Jake Sonnentag

what Colors and baits are you guys using for big gills and crappies?

bigstorm
    Southern WI

When the bite is hot, I try to go with a spoon (slender spoon 1/16) to keep the smaller ones away. When the bite is average, I like shrimpos or small pug bugs with some version of a plastic tail

Trevor Ellingson
    Long Lake, MN

Flash champ spoon is my go to spoon, either glow red, perch or the uv pink. For jigs I usually use either a JR’s jalapeno(pink, blue and white) VMC tungsten tubby(glow chart, glow, glow red), clam drop kick jig(glow red), VMC pug bug in glow red

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

In general, I think people fish too small for big gills. There’s many instances where that’s a warranted approach, esp. in clear water, pressured water bodies, etc. However, bigger baits, esp. plastics tend to keep the smaller fish away, and select for larger fish in the school.

As for colors, red and various hues with white such as pink, glow pink, etc. are a standard. Black gets little attention, and is dynamite. From there it’s chartreuse and on down the list for me. A lot depends on where you fish!

Joel

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Big as in 6″ big or 8″ big gills? Sometimes I wonder how a 6″ Gill will suck up a 3″ tube fully into its mouth.

By default for big crappies, fathead minnows or lures around that size. So basically 1/4 oz spoons will work. Even a 3/4 oz kastmaster will get hammered by a big hungry crappie.

Duke M

#12 A-Bomb, Lady GaGa toenail red with silver glitter baited with a red spike, pinched almost flat to kill the spin. I’ve already said too much, you’re on your own from here.

Duke

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.