Coleman Xtreme Series Marine Cooler

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

anyone with experience using this cooler? Im looking at a 120 QT for a good price. Sounds like they would be a good substitute for the more expensive Yeti types.

tim hurley

Extreme coolers-hmmmm, I break all kinds of stuff (3! rod tips this year) one thing I have never broke is a cooler Do they do a better job of keeping stuff cold?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

In the Milee topic riverruns vouches for the Coleman Xtreme. He has 3. Might want to ping him for more input.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Do they do a better job of keeping stuff cold?

thats the idea yeah. more insulation then your average cooler. supposed to keep ice cold for 6 days if you use it correctly. Some of the fancy coolers are bear proof but not the coleman.

Johnie Birkel
    South metro

I have two 65q of the non marine (color is the only difference I believe). They are not a sub for the YETI but I have made it ~3 days in VNP with some ice left. The nice thing is they weigh a fraction of the YETI and I almost always use this door day fishing trips. The non marine seems to have different grades of handles and cosmetics. One I have is from REI and was maybe 65 and I picked one up from Walmart for about 30. Not sure the padded handles are worth the extra $$.

jake47
    WI

I just bought 4 of the 120 Qt Marine Extremes. I filled one up last weekend with 36 warm bottles of beer and 36 sorta cold cans of soda. Topped it off with 40 lbs of ice. 2 days later when I emptied it I had over 20 lbs of ice left. While they might not have all the features or glamour of the Yeti, I bought 4 of them for about the same price as a single Yeti. I watched some YouTube ice tests with 4-5 different coolers and the Extreme performed almost identical to the Yeti.

riverruns
    Inactive

They are great coolers. Nothing wrong with the expensive stuff that’s 5 times the cost. Just haven’t figured out the real advantage? Heavy buggers they are.

The extremes are way lighter and much cheaper and are close to the expensive ones for keeping things cold.

riverruns
    Inactive

When I say heavy coolers, the extreme are not the heavy coolers.

Jonesy

I bought one and I am happy with it. It’s not a yeti but thus far it’s the best cooler performance wise I have ever owned.

mattgroff

My brother in law has one and they leak from the drain hole.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

That was a quick jump from “one” (singular) to “they” (plural).

riverruns
    Inactive

Three here that don’t leak, but I also put the cover on the drain hole. Did he try that? jester

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I have 2 of the original Colman xtreme coolers for 10 years now. I will put food in one and 2 cases of beer in the other with 10-15 lb of ice. As long as the cover gets pushed closed all the way, I will have ice when I get home after a 3-4 day trip. They both have wheels and I would recommend getting one with wheels.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

In my business we call that a feature. This is obviously to keep water from collecting in the bottom of the cooler.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I have one, and really like it. Have used it as the frozen food cooler on some VNP trips and stuff is still frozen at the end of a 4 day trip, as long as you keep it closed and out of the sun.

zooks

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mattgroff wrote:</div>

In my business we call that a feature. This is obviously to keep water from collecting in the bottom of the cooler.

I would call that a bug, not a feature. Water is more dense than air so it stays colder longer which in turn keeps everything else in the cooler colder longer.

IMO the Coleman Extremes are a good budget alternative to the high end Yeti types, Igloo marine coolers are about the same build quality as the Colemans. Hope this helps, good luck with what you decide.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

thanks Gents. I had read some reviews that talked about the leaky valve. While this may be a bit of a nuisance I don’t think it would bother me all that much if the valve leaked a little. Ive read that the marine version offers UV protection on the cooler and stainless steel or rust resistance hardware over the regular xtreme coolers. They also now have a 6 day xtreme which seems to have extra heavy duty insulation. I have an older blue Xtreme with wheels and I like it but the lid needs to be pressed down hard on both edges to close and its a PITA because while you might remember to do it all the time others don’t and you wind up with a cooler left open when others go in it more often then not.

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Ozark Trail now has the larger sizes @ Walmart and they’re 1/2 the cost of a Yeti.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I would call that a bug, not a feature. Water is more dense than air so it stays colder longer which in turn keeps everything else in the cooler colder longer.

This is why I hate Project Managers.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.