Coleman outboards, any experience?

• Jonesy

I have the chance to pick up a 5hp Coleman outboard for stupid cheap. Anybody have any experience with them? I know parts are somewhat hard to come by.

I don’t need a kicker often. Few trips on pepin and a couple of evenings on leech. Just wondering about first or even 2nd hand experiences

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

It’s made by Tohatsu…just like the mercury 5hp or any other 4 stroke 5 hp sold in the USA (except cheap China knock offs on Amazon or EBay).

Parts should be easy to find. Search Defender or Iboats for Tohatsu of the same year.

Use good clean gas in these motors ALL the time…carbs are small and can gum up quickly if not taken care of…but they are great motors!

BUY IT!

queenswake
    NULL

I’ve always wondered where you get stuff like this fixed. These outboards, those Coleman and other chinese-made ATVs that Cabelas, etc sells. There are no dealers for these I don’t think. I’d say just spend a few hundred more and get a Tohatsu/Nissan used.

Jonesy

I’ve always wondered where you get stuff like this fixed. These outboards, those Coleman and other chinese-made ATVs that Cabelas, etc sells. There are no dealers for these I don’t think. I’d say just spend a few hundred more and get a Tohatsu/Nissan used.

I did the opposite and got a great running 1975 Johnson 9.9. Practically stole it lol. My need for a kicker really is so small that this should fit the bill just fine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.