Iowa crew,April 23-25th,2004

• ryan-hale
    NW Ia

If we get good weather Wade Kuehl and myself will be fishing Clear Lake on this week-end.If any of you guys are bored come by and Wade will tell all of you some great fishing stories .There will also be a Iowa GNWC tourney on Sunday the 25th for interested parties.Hope to see some of you there.
    Ryan Hale

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I’m taking Friday off so I’ll be up as early as needed. Can’t wait!

If anyone from this site is up there on that weekend I think we’ll be running Ryan’s boat – I think it’s Alumacraft, maroon, US flag flying in the rear. Is that right Ryan?

Hey Gianni, you ever get up to Clear Lake?

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I was wondering what weekend the GNWC was on this year. Every year we’ve been hitting Clear the first weekend in May, which this year will be the May 1. Usually that’s the weekend of the GNWC tourney also. Looks like you guys will be a week before me this year. That’s good news, though. You guys can tell me what’s putting fish in the boat.

It’s a tough time of year to fish that lake for sure. Never know what springtime’s done and what stage the fish are in. Two years ago it was shallow cranks in 3-5ft of water, last year it was crawler rigs in the main lake basin. We always seem to put together a few fish drifting the basin east of the main island with bouncers and live bait rigs on slop rods, heavy jigs right under the boat on rods we’re hanging on to.

I’ve heard people say that Clear is a, “Find rocks, find fish” kind of lake, but I don’t believe a word of it. I’ve hung at least $30 worth of tackle on those reefs and can safely say all of the keeper eyes I’ve caught came over a muck bottom in the middle of nowhere.

Good luck to anyone fishing the GNWC. I hope the weather cooperates a little bit better this year.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Gianni, we’ll be fishing for Yellow Bass. Been told the Yellow bite is a good one at that time. Sorry we’ll miss ya. If you ever make a trip to Okoboji/Spirit be sure to give us a heads up.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

If the fishing isn’t all that great at Clear on Saturday, I might try up at Rice on Sunday. It’ll all depend on how much beer is consumed.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Wade and I will be in this rig,stop and say hi if you see us on or off the water.
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Anybody going to be fishing?Look forward to seeing a few of you.
    Ryan Hale

panfish
    Blairsburg IA

Ryan..I took a vacation day Mon. so I could get Sat. off going to come up. I emailed Eric to see what he had going on that weekend. He wasn’t for sure yet if he could make it or not. As of now I’m going to come up if nothing else slop a few cold ones and B.S, with you and the boys.

Will see you this weekend Todd.

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

I have a report up from the week-end,check it out!
    Ryan Hale

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Gianni, if you’re going up to clear lake this weekend check the report in the tourney forum here. Some good info about the walleye bite. There’s musky being caught too. We got some yellows all over the lake, about 6 feet, rocks.

Hey Ryan, thanks for taking me out in your rig this weekend. I really enjoyed it despite the crummy weather. Good luck this weekend at Okoboji and best of luck on your next guide trips!

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I saw that someone (Bill?) posted the GNWC results today. I’m definitely in “Clear lake mode” this week, but don’t know when I’m going to have time to get things around. It’ll all happen eventually. I was debating whether to throw in the boards, and now it looks like that’s a good idea.

If anyone else is going to be out on Clear this weekend, I’ll be in a blue/white-bottom bayliner, Mariner 50, behind a red F150. We’ll probably also have FRS radios.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

Well, I’m taking tomorrow off and heading up there. The weather looks cold, but doable. Hopefully the fish don’t mind a little morning chill.

If anyone else is out, stop in and say hello. I’ll probably be in a blue and white bayliner either pulling boards or drifting the main basin.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Good luck G! The yellow bass might be on their run by now. You might stop by Domes Bait and see what’s up. Check out Billy’s Reef on the East end, about 6 feet deep, rocks and gravel. Be sure to post some pics when you get back.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.