Cleaning up an old spear

• ThunderLund78

My Father-in-law was cleaning out an old out-building and gave me a spear that belonged to his dad. Still in pretty good shape but needs a little love. My plan is to get a wire brush drill attachment and give it a good once-over and either grind and/or file the tines. I’d like to give it a fresh paint job but have never really painted anything metal besides maybe using rust-o-leum BBQ black spraypaint on an old fridge when I built my smoker. Would like to protect it from water as much as possible. Should I prime it first? Looking for specific primer/paint reccomendations.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

My Father-in-law was cleaning out an old out-building and gave me a spear that belonged to his dad. Still in pretty good shape but needs a little love. My plan is to get a wire brush drill attachment and give it a good once-over and either grind and/or file the tines. I’d like to give it a fresh paint job but have never really painted anything metal besides maybe using rust-o-leum BBQ black spraypaint on an old fridge when I built my smoker. Would like to protect it from water as much as possible. Should I prime it first? Looking for specific primer/paint reccomendations.

If you can’t bake it after painting with good paint, then rust o leum paint plus prime is actually pretty solid stuff.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Check out electronic rust removal using a battery charger. It will save more material on the spear. Make sure to do in a well vented area.

ThunderLund78

Check out electronic rust removal using a battery charger. It will save more material on the spear. Make sure to do in a well vented area.

That’s pretty cool Rodwork! Although I don’t know if I have a big enough container. Almost want to go out and find one just to try!

I’m not too worried about taking off too much material and also dont need this to be perfect, but want a surface that offer some rust protection, would probably have to touch it up every year or so.

I will look into Rust-o-leum Paint + Prime.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

That’s pretty cool Rodwork! Although I don’t know if I have a big enough container. Almost want to go out and find one just to try!

Will it fit in one of the xmas tree totes? Might need that for after the holidays.

Tom Bennett

Can you post a picture ThunderLund78? I am a spear collector and may be able to identify it.

If it is a quality vintage spear, which it very well may be, you will be diminishing it’s value if you were to prime and paint it. The rule of thumb among spear collectors is to never paint a spear. The only vintage spears that I ever see painted are the Randalls which were made in Willmar MN.

You could consider running some coarse steel wool over it, hitting the tines with an emery paper versus a file to avoid taking too much metal off, oil it, display it and/or use it, and oil it down after each use, or yearly to protect it and to keep it’s natural patina.

ThunderLund78

Can you post a picture ThunderLund78? I am a spear collector and may be able to identify it.

If it is a quality vintage spear, which it very well may be, you will be diminishing it’s value if you were to prime and paint it. The rule of thumb among spear collectors is to never paint a spear. The only vintage spears that I ever see painted are the Randalls which were made in Willmar MN.

You could consider running some coarse steel wool over it, hitting the tines with an emery paper versus a file to avoid taking too much metal off, oil it, display it and/or use it, and oil it down after each use, or yearly to protect it and to keep it’s natural patina.

Great advice! I never really thought of it being vintage and I know some can be collectors items. I’ll try to take a pic later today…

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i dont collect spears but always like looking at the older models!!!!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

This was my dad’s dad’s spear and spoon auger!!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20221202_0802232302-scaled.jpg

ThunderLund78

That’s a sweet old spear! Oddly enough, our local small town Chinese restaurant has the same wood panneling! Looks better behind olf fishing stuff than surrounded by dragons rotflol

ThunderLund78

Here’s pics of the spear, it looks like it used to be silver? Lots of surface rust and some pitting but still usable. A couple of the tips have been rounded over and will definitely need filing. As you look at the spear head, the tines on the right have a deeper groove cut in between the tine shaft and the barb. Flip it over and it’s the same. 54″ long and hole for rope is simply drilled through the shaft rather than a larger eyelet welded on. Might take a few posts to get all three pics, here goes…

Attachments:
    1. 20221202_083409-scaled.jpg

ThunderLund78

Pic 2

Attachments:
    1. 20221202_083656-scaled.jpg

ThunderLund78

Pic 3

Attachments:
    1. 20221202_083435-scaled.jpg

Erik Swenson

Cool spears Glenn and Thunderlund!

Thanks for the tip Rodworks. I found an old spear hanging in the floor joists at our place up north. May have to try cleaning it up.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

That’s a sweet old spear! Oddly enough, our local small town Chinese restaurant has the same wood panneling! Looks better behind olf fishing stuff than surrounded by dragons rotflol

waytogo thanks thunderlund!!!!!!

know anybody that could hit it with a sandblast or glass bead it??

Tom Bennett

Glenn that looks like a Wendell Pimple spear, out of Albany MN, and one of the most collectible MN darkhouse pike spears.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Glenn that looks like a Wendell Pimple spear, out of Albany MN, and one of the most collectible MN darkhouse pike spears.

thanks for that info. All I know is it speared alot of fish at the cabin back in the day and even further back on grand lake by Rockville mn.

It’s now at home. And not for sale.

Tom Bennett

ThunderLund78 I don’t know the maker of that one off hand, but it is a good example of an old collectible spear. The tines look to be attached to the shaft at the shoulder with a key/wedge, like Glenn’s example, but looks like there is extra material brazed onto the spear at that juncture, which may have been added later.

Many of the old quality spear makers of that day used the key/wedge method, and often used rake tines for their spear tine stock.

The barbs are unique. I haven’t seen that style before, and it definitely would help identify the maker. I will cross reference a few sources I have when I have more time and get back to you if I find a match.

Tom Bennett

After further examination of your picture Glenn, I am almost 100% certain that is W. Pimple spear. Those who are fortunate enough to have one typically display them, and will not sell them. It is heirloom for sure!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Tom, do you go to decoy shows??? I usually hit the one in Alexandria if I don’t have plans.

picklerick
    Central WI

This stuff worked for me for restoring old cast iron pans.

Tom Bennett

Glenn I used to go to Perham show and gathering every spring. I have also been to the Alex show a few times. It is always a fun time to connect with folks and see all the nice spears and decoys. The last few years I have been sticking a little closer to home with grandchildren and our aging parents needing more help, and just going to the Medina sporting and collectibles show in the spring.

ThunderLund78

Great info, Tom! Let me know if you find anything more on mine. Until then I’m going to carefully clean it and file the bent-over tines sharp. Will give the ice down here in Southern MN a week or two but might try to stick a couple Nords if I get some time around Chrismas.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.