Green Lake (Chisago)

• Haas77
    Hastings, MN

Spent Saturday 1/30 afternoon fishing Green Lake with Perch_44 and some others.

We drilled a fair number of holes, covered quite an area, and marked a LOT of fish. Dropped the cam down and saw a couple of ‘eyes right away with a bunch of pannies too. So things were looking good…

The problem wasn’t finding fish, the problem was gettin’ ’em to bite. Over about 6 hours, 4 guys threw their entire tackle boxes down the holes at all these green, yellow, and red lines that kept appearing on their Vexilars and were only able to summon a meager grand total of 8 crappies and a nice FAT 21″ walleye to the surface.

Sunday, 1/31 virtually the same thing…except I left without Perch_44 and opted for the company of a better fisherman, my 11 year-old son.

We found fish right away, one guy had a 15″ ‘eye “SMACK” his jig within the first 30 mins we were set up. But that was again followed by hours of amazing color displays on the Vex, but not much in the way of fish actually being caught.

I was just curious if anyone else is having any luck finding the magic combination of jig, color, rig, and bait on any Chisago area lakes, but Green specifically.

I am curious to hear ANY reports about Chisago area.

Thanks.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

There are many different ways to jig your presentation as well. I’ve found over the course of my last few outings that it’s not so much as what they want it’s how they want it. Alot of the time some real slow and short subtle jigs followed by letting it sit still for a period of time can get some fish to bite on those tight lipped fishing days. I am sure each and every lake is different so you always have to be a little creative and willing to try things that are different from the norm.

cshunt1
    Eagan, MN

i havent been out this year, but in years past ive had luck with a waxie on a glow red gill pill. those crappies couldnt get enough, problem is finding them over that 10″ slot (at least it was a few years ago). i havent fished for eyes out there myself, but my buddy who’s been out there a lot lately has had the same luck as you. he likes to deadstick for eyes tho.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Welcome to February ice fishing! …RR

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Sometimes a person just needs to keep moving. You might get one fish or nothing out of a hole and that is it. With lots of moving around you might be able to get that active bitter out of several holes and salvage a trip. Who knows, you might even stumble into more active fish off to the edge of a main school of inactive fish.

For me 2 to 5 minutes on inactive fish and its time to move unless there is some reason for me to sit and wait them out. Something like the sun coming up or setting.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.