south center

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Was able to make a quick trip over to south center today. Decided to hit wishpering bay looking for some crappies. Started out shooting the marcum down a open hole only to find a good schoold of crappies down there. Set up about 10′ away from there only to find nothing. Could not believe these fish would move that short distance to entertain us. After about half a hour we moved on top of them.
    Action during the day was not real fast but steady. Lots of 6″ to 8″ crappies and a few sunnies. As it got dark the bite picked up a litte. During the day I kept checking the school of fish that was not to far undr the ice. No takers. After dark this school turned on and the action was pretty good. They where hitting both minnows and euro larve. The size was a little better also running 8″ to 11″. Still not huge but not bad for a metro lake.
    As far as where these active fish where in the water column. The first one broke off as the fish hit the bottom of the ice on the hook set.

warriorrivy
    Hastings MN

Mike,
    How much ice is out there, and are you able to drive a truck out. With all of the gear that I have, it would not be reasonable for me to pull my stuff out the 1/2 mile or so that I would want to get out to from the landing. The only help I would have, is my 9 year old daughter, who is dying to get into some more crappies. She loves to ice fish, and she has had good luck on that lake before. Plus catching her first walleye there 2 winters ago! But, she insn’t much help in the hauling dept! Is So. Center covered in those lakes that the DNR will not any cars or trucks on?
    Thanks for the info.
    Rivy

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

There was 20″ of ice in the area we fished. Lots of vehicle traffic out there. We drove on the lake from the road on what i think they call needle point. this is the road off the south end of the lake. Just drove striaght from shore to our spot following other truck tracks. There where others that drove in from the north end of the lake also.

On a year like this do be cautious. Maybe stick to the roads the locals have made. Hopefully they know where they are going.

South center is a good place for pan fish. Usually not to hard to find fish. We never spend much time on empty holes up there. If there not under you start moving around and usually does not take to long to find them again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.