South center, wispering bay

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

My neighor and myself made it up to wispering bay on south center yesterday afternoon to check on the crappie bite and to just get out the house. Pulled up about 3 pm and after checking a couple of open holes and seeing a few fish we decided to get set up and see what was happening. It was rumured that this area had a good evening bite going on so we had confidence they would show up. By about 4 the first fish started coming threw. The larger crappies started coming threw about 10′ to 15′ below the ice. They seemed to be one the move also as they would show up for a few minutes and then be gone for awhile. This seemed to be the norm for the rest of the evening until we packed it in around 8. We must of picked off a couple dozen fish in that time. Nothing huge. Largest going around 11″. There was alot of coaxing to get these fish to bite. Euro larve took most but minnows and minnow heads to some fish also. We where sitting in the hole in this bay at about 23′ of water.

If you do get up to wispering bay to try this bite and show up mid afternoon to see that you have the entire area to your selves just keep in mind that closer to dark you will be fishing in a crowd.

Anyone else been out on the ice anywhere. I was suprised to see just a fraction of the people out yesterday as compaired to just a few weeks ago.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Back on Whisperbay again this after noon. Crappies where a little more active. It was just a matter of locating them. Plenty of sun fish action. Euro larve took all of our fish again. Look for the crappies 5′ tp 10′ below the ice.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.