City Shops ‘eyes

• fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

I heard the ‘eyes at the city shops were biting already. Anyone been down there yet? I usually go down in late March.

krisko
    Durand, WI

I saw some people out there yesterday fishing. I don’t know if they were catching anything.

I want to get out on the Chippewa very bad. The only problem is the ice. I had a friend of mine tell me he flew from south of Durand to Eau Claire following the river and there are quite a few spots with ice. I’m hoping for a couple of 50 degree days to knock them out. I have some really good holes to hit in early spring.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Fishing from shore? for eyes?

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Krisko, you saw people at the shops, were they in boats?

Yeah Erik, sometimes there is 20 or more people down there, its hard to fish it. Boats are better obviously. It is a really good Walleye bite. Jig with minnow or leach, or floating jigs work.

krisko
    Durand, WI

The ones I saw were on shore. I didn’t see any boats. How deep is it coming up thru there? Also where is the closest boat landing? I’ve seen people fishing it and talked with people but never fished it myself.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Well I found the spot tonight after work. One guy on the shore said he caught a small stergon thats all. He was using minnows, said it had been a really really slow day for him, maybe its still a little early idk? Ever hear of anybody using plastics? I am thinking about giving it a try tomorrow after work, come stop by. I will have the carhardts on.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Well im not sure on the depth, but its a good slow moving hole.

Erik, what time you gonna be there?

What works best is if your in a boat, but shore works too, the shore is usually loaded when there is a good bite.
    The closest boat landing is by Hobb’s.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

I’ll be there around 4

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Ok, I may stop down for a bit and check it out. YOur going to be right below the bus barns right?

bigpike

The current break comes right next to shore on the shop side, it drops right off and is very rocky/snags. It drops off to about 17′, when you get on the other side of the break it is pretty much 15-20′. Almost no current at all. One interesting piece of structure here is were the rapids break and drop the depth goes straight down to 20′. Its like a straight shear wall. It is much easier fishing from a boat because then you can get to the middle section were there is no current and cast or fish the edge. I have caught lots of nice fish here including 40″+ muskies, walleyes to 26″ and smallies to 20″. Also the crappies stack here in fall and winter.

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

So what are the techniques used to fish this area from shore? Looks like it could be really boring to sit there and watch your pole if the fish aren’t biting. Yup right under them Joe!

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Well it might be boring, but once you lay into a good Sturgeon, its fun as hell.

So howd you do Thursday night Erik?

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

A couple really small eyes.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Under 14”? Did you see them hit your poles?

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Tiny like 10-12in…yea..they pretty much just tightened the line..

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Well at least you caught someting.

mikemohr
    eau claire wi.

more then you can say joe

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Whats that Mike? Your goin down toomorow.

mikemohr
    eau claire wi.

yeah joe

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

I went tonight…nothing…two other guys also didn’t catch anything? idk? tried all over…still nothing

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Well during my spring break, we can go Erik and maybe try across the river by the island.

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

How did you do wensday night Erik?

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

one other after you left tiny

fishingdaskoal
    EauClaire WI

Did your girlfriend enjoy the weather.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Glad to here the bite may be starting up on the Chippewa. I’ve been way busy with work, working out, and trying to get enough firewood cut for next year while it’s still cool out. If I don’t work both days this weekend I’ll get out and try the downriver area of the Chippewa (Dunnville area). I had a friend coyote hunting on Sunday come across a Bear in a den. He went back yesterday to take a few photo’s and the bear was gone. I’ll catch you guys later. Steve

mikemohr
    eau claire wi.

i did’t think the bears would be out yet

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

oh believe me the fishing has been anything but good! I have been down there probably 6 times and have a total of 5 fish 4 in one day long ago!

leinieman

I heard the weather man saying it could get nasty this weekend but I’ll try and get out and see what’s biting. I think all the eye’s are holding up south of Eau Claire untill warmer weather. They should be at the mouth of the Red Cedar this weekend. Steve

leinieman

Yep I think all the snow probably has made the roads to the river a mess but I may take aroad trip later with the camera and check it out. I may try below the dam in Menomin later on the Red Cedar befor I check out the Chippewa. Steve

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.