Charging a House Battery?

• Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I am getting ready to install a house battery for my electronics. I am planning to use a Blue Sea Systems “Add-a-Battery” kit which includes a switch and charging relay. I am hoping that this will allow me to charge the house battery between uses with my current on-board charger; ie., the single bank will charge the starting battery and then charge the house battery (will use same battery type, etc.).
    Does this seem right? Anyone have experience with this?

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7650/Add-A-Battery_Kit_-_120A
    Dual Circuit Plus™ Battery Switch
    – Simplifies switching
    – Isolates engine and house circuits
    – Combines batteries for emergency starting
    – Tin-plated copper studs for maximum conductivity and corrosion resistance
    ACR Automatic Charging Relay
    – Automatically combines batteries during charging
    – Isolates batteries during engine cranking and when not charging
    – Shares the charge between two batteries more efficiently than a battery isolator
    – Allows efficient dual battery charging without needing regulator adjustment or rewiring

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

I am wanting to do the same. Sooooo many options. I would personally prefer to not use the switch, and simply rely on the automatic charging relay to keep both charged when charging/running, and isolate the starter from the electronics while fishing.

Pauleye
    Onamia

I’ve been doing this for years on boats and RV’s. Always used a keyed solenoid. Works well.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Can you explain a bit Paul? With all the different hardware out there to use, I must admit it has my head spinning a bit due to overthinking the entire system.

Pauleye
    Onamia

This is what I’ve used on 100’s of trucks and campers. I’ts simple to install and reliable. When key is on it allows voltage to flow from starting battery to house battery.

Attachments:
    1. F995D73B-C210-4719-9DC2-6AAEC93F14B7.png

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Cool. Got a part number so I can look up the info?

Thanks!

catnip
    south metro

Looks like an ordinary starter relay off an old 70s-80s ford or something. If thats the case thats a sweet n cheap idea.

Pauleye
    Onamia

Looks can be deceiving.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Pauleye? Number? I cannot seem to locate.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Looks like an ordinary starter relay off an old 70s-80s ford or something. If thats the case thats a sweet n cheap idea.

Not the same. Starter relays like you describe are designed for short periods of use at a time. If left energized they will overheat and burn up.
    A relay like Pauleye uses is designed to be on indefinitely. Guys will use these relays as a master cut off switch in small aircraft.

No, I can’t help with a part number. frown

big_g
    Isle, MN

Seen this done in a media van one time… until it torched the whole vehicle. Do it right… seek professional advice, is mine to you. .02

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I found an old receipt with a part number for the solenoid.
    Sierra BA58003 Battery Switch
    Use as a battery isolation switch
    Steel housing with copper contacts
    Sierra part number: BA58003
    Interchangeable with the following: Cole-Hersee 24059, Mallory 9-15100

and a supplier JMSOnline.net

hope this info helps

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Seen this done in a media van one time… until it torched the whole vehicle. Do it right… seek professional advice, is mine to you. .02

When you say you have “seen this done”, was it done using a “automotive starter solenoid” or was it done with the correct “battery isolation switch/solenoid”? Just curious

big_g
    Isle, MN

From what we seen (before the Insurance Investigator yanked it out of the shop) and from what we could gather, it was an automotive/tractor solenoid from Fleet Farm. whistling Like someone said… Looks can be deceiving. doah

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

quite the variety of kits and switches available. I have the simple $15.00 Isolator on my truck with and additional line ran for switched 12V. I have a need to retain the dedicated constant 12V intended for the RV plug, so I added a new line back to the camper/enclosed trailers
    Etrailer Isolation switches/kits

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

…and so, as it turns out, the Blue Sea kit that i referenced in the original post works great. both the battery isolator switch and the ACR perform as hoped. both batteries get charged.

TMF89

I’ve always wondered why five battery boats don’t just do something like this, instead of installing two separate chargers. I mean obviously upping the cost to the customer is one advantage, but it just seems so blatant that the other route is easier and cheaper…

Pauleye
    Onamia

Sorry I didn’t reply sooner.
    Tekonsha part number 54-98-004
    Hope this helps.

chubby
    Bloomington

Mnnkota
    Alternator chargers put every ounce of power to good use. While on the water, they take your alternator’s excess power and redistribute it to your trolling batteries. You get an extra boost, and better battery life.
    Features
    Specs

Charge-on-the-fly: After the boat’s alternator has fully charged the starting battery, this technology will reroute the alternator power to the trolling motor batteries
    Battery Protection: extends battery life by protecting your battery from frequent deep discharges
    LED Indicator Lights: Inform of charge stage, maintenance mode status, error notifications and full charge
    Waterproof Construction: All on-board chargers are built to be waterproof, shock-resistant and vibration-resistant
    3-Year Warranty: All battery chargers come with a full 3-year replacement warranty

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.