CBD oil ?

• haleysgold
    SE MN

I’m finding out there are 2 categories for this.
    1 with THC in it and requires prescription and the other no THC and over the counter.
    Does anyone use either?
    I was thinking about trying the OTC version based on some research done.
    Seems like a lot of favorable reports to ease everyday aches and pains, sleep and anxiety.

Hoping someone knows more about it or using it now and what you thoughts are?

I’m finding out there are 2 categories for this.
    1 with THC in it and requires prescription and the other no THC and over the counter.

Technically there are three kinds. There is the MN prescription type where you can get various mixes and ratios derived from marijuana, full spectrum derived from hemp w/ <.3% and certified thc free. Most folks recommend full spectrum if drug testing concerns are not an issue. It’s suggested the terpenes, thc and other cannabinoids in oil hemp plants work in conjunction with cbd for a greater effect. For anxiety relief, folks often recommend thc free as some are hypersensitive to it.

There was another CBD post a while back with additional input.

We grew a CBD flower crop under the MN hemp pilot program this past summer. I can tell you, for me, CBD helps with all the aches and pains associated with the work involved in intensively growing CBD. hah flame

glenn57
    cold spring mn

You might want to look into if your using this. I had heard you cannot carry if using some form of the CBD oil.

Kevin Yopp

My wife and I have recently been taking it … mostly to help her with anxieties and to increase her appetite. It seems to be working. I take it to help with sleeping through the night. I haven’t noticed much difference, but as long as it works for her I’ll keep taking it, too.

I started taking it after a nephew reported sleeping “so good” after taking it for a few days. Worth a try any way …

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I don’t know crap about CBD, just this warning. Some of the companies that make this to use via vaping are putting in an extra ingredient. Makes it look thicker. Not to bad right, WRONG!!!

I forget the actual ingredient, that’s not listed, but it can put a film like coating on things. Like your lungs. This is one of the things that’s killing people.

Sorry, can’t quote the source. Was on a Dr. giving an interview on the radio the other day.

I believe the vaping health epidemic is primarily related to blackmarket THC based products, but also agree you don’t want to put crap in your lungs unless your 100% informed. Aside from cutting the already pesticide laden jerkoff crops with vitamin E, or even fake vitamin E oil, the devices themselves create toxins and other issues when overheating “good” and “clean” product.

hnd

my wife takes cbd oil. no thc. does it work? who knows. she’s a crazy essential oils lady. our house smells like lavender and peppermint all day long, its ridiculous.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Vitamin E Acetate is what is suspected to be causing the vaping illness. Most CBD will be taken orally so this should not be a concern.

The one thing I would consider is the source. Some big producers are pressing oil from fiber hemp which is a completely different animal. Local growers like the OP above will produce a much better oil and most of the time it will be extracted using one of the available methods instead of being pressed.

As the OP stated the other parts of the plant are just beginning to be studied due to our past prohibition on both hemp and cannabis. I feel like good things are to come. Big Parma will be throwing tons of money at the fake news part of this debate too. They don’t want you to stop buying their pills! There is a lot of good info out there. We all just need to make educated decisions that work best for us.

tim hurley

Sleep expert on public radio was warning about using medications to help with sleep. If the substance helps you get to sleep it still could effect the kinds of sleep you are getting-those kinds of sleep like REM are important for overall health. Try other approaches B4 you use meds. Of course no sleep is the worst.

haleysgold
    SE MN

The vaping deal isn’t going to happen for this guy. Just what I’d need is stuffing my lungs full of crap.
    There’s a Co-op store nearby that sells quality, natural foods and carry the OTC CBD oil. I’ll be stopping in there to pick their brain a bit.
    I agree, you have to watch what you buy and from who.
    As with anything, lots of bad stuff out there if your not careful.
    Appreciate all the comments and will report back with results.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would consider it “snake oil”. No regulation, no oversight, no way.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I would consider it “snake oil”. No regulation, no oversight, no way.

The exact term that I use.

Addiction is addiction. Eating before bed can be terrible for health too. Food can be a drug as much as coffee and alcholol and cbd.

A contrary point, we might consider we have evolved using cannabinoids until only very recently and have specific receptors for these items throughout our bodies.

Also, the quickest and most effective way for it get into our system is the blood brain circuit accessed via inhalation. I’ve read suppository is next best in terms of efficacy and orally is getting maybe 7% into your system. Dosing is far more reliable comparing product to product when smoking vs. oral, but once dialed in, oral is probably the best method healthwise.

As far as snake oil, I kinda agree. Maybe more crap than good, too much crap anyway; not the best setup for consumers. But that’s the government fault, not the fault of the substance.

Charles

Cough CBD Distillery is a good place to order from and have no THC. Its a lot better than that crap that you can get from the coop.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Cough CBD Distillery is a good place to order from and have no THC. Its a lot better than that crap that you can get from the coop.

And the reason for that is??

Well I’ll be…
    Didn’t think I would hear this many negatives and I’m not sure there’s much evidence on the snake oil comments. There is a fair amount of research and for the most part, quite positive.

Guess I’ll go with the old saying…from back in the day.
    God made grass, man made booze. Who would you trust?
    grin

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The only reason it can be compared to snake oil is because it is being sold as a cure-all. It has been scientifically proven to treat some conditions. One of which is epileptic seizures and is a federally approved prescription for this.

There is strong evidence it helps people sleep and reduces inflammation for some.

As far as pain relief, most evidence is anecdotal and has performed no better than placebo in well designed tests.

My opinion is that this is a stepping stone toward cannabis legalization. The more comfortable people are with CBD the more comfortable they are with THC. It also creates a network of dispensaries just waiting for the moment it is legalized.

Someday the benefits and limitations will become more clear but it’s going to take decades. The one thing that is known, cannabis is really not harmful in any way so the downside of all this is pretty small. The only risk is in the quality of the substance you take because there is almost no regulation on supplements.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I have a good friend who is really into the whole CBD movement. From using CBD to investing basically his net worth in CBD start up companies. Here is what he tells me.

Most all of the over the counter CBD product you get in Mn is sub par junk. (All 0% thc)

Quality CBD oil that can be produced and obtained where legal pot is sold is the only thing that actually works. Both thc and non-thc. For example, Colorado and California CBD products/companies.

He swears by it, cured his and his dogs medical problem.

As for snake oil, I personally believe there is a placebo effect for a lot of users. You buy it, you take it, you want it to work…. Guess what – it does!

-J.

outdoorsmn

I’ve taken CBD for a couple years now. I have scoliosis and chronic back pain. It definitely helps with the pain and helps me sleep at night.

I would be careful on the brand you purchase. Make sure they “test” each batch so you know they’re reputable. The only issue I have with this testing is the company is paying for the tests, is there a conflict of interest regarding the test results? Potentially. Personally, I believe there needs to be more regulation and oversight in this growing segment.

I usually only take CBD when I’m experiencing more pain than usual. Definitely helps during the hunting and fishing seasons when I’m more active. Now that I think about it, that is mostly year-round. doah

Charles

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Charles wrote:</div>

And the reason for that is??

Well I’ll be…
    Didn’t think I would hear this many negatives and I’m not sure there’s much evidence on the snake oil comments. There is a fair amount of research and for the most part, quite positive.

Guess I’ll go with the old saying…from back in the day.
    God made grass, man made booze. Who would you trust?
    grin

Basically what Jon says, get it from the source.

haleysgold
    SE MN

Most all of the over the counter CBD product you get in Mn is sub par junk. (All 0% thc)

Maybe I don’t understand what you meant but that’s the purpose of the OTC oil.
    There is NO thc in it which makes it available OTC. So calling it subpar junk isn’t applicable just because it doesn’t contain THC.

Quality CBD oil that can be produced and obtained where legal pot is sold is the only thing that actually works. Both thc and non-thc. For example, Colorado and California CBD products/companies.

This isn’t correct, CBD is CBD. I agree, some states you can legally get more THC in your mix AND stay within the law. We might argue if more THC is better, but that’s dirty talk in MN and not an option unless you are able and willing to sign up for the state run clown-car.

CBD derived from the cannabis plant we call marijuana is the same as CBD derived from the cannabis plant we call hemp, each plant has a spectrum of oils that can be isolated or not, one just has an arbitrary threshold put in place based on emotion for the thc level, so we call that hemp.

It’s all about quality, that part is 100% correct. I wouldn’t suggest buying cbd from a co-op, I would suggest someplace with more skin in the game. Reddit has a good cbd sub that has vetted sources and discounts if anyone wants to look into sourcing further. CBD distillery is one they recommend (I think). Most are in CA, CO and OR, but all are extremely likely hemp derived. Consumers sourcing thc free CBD from legal marijuana is far too expensive to consider viable anywhere, either because the economics of the black market or economics of the regulated marijuana market. Quality marijuana flower is priced in the 1000’s while quality high cbd flower is in the 100’s. Hemp biomass is in the 10’s.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Maybe I don’t understand what you meant

The oil being sold here in Mn is of the lowest quality available. The OCT markets are buying cheap knock off product and selling it at huge markups. The quality stuff from reputable companies is hard to find here and usually in the black market. Again, this is for both thc and non-thc products.

-J.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

May not be relevant… but my older dog is better because of a quality product (exactly what I don’t know… my wife gets it) we give her daily. Her stiffness and limping goes away a few days in. We stop it, and a couple days later it is back. Side effects… an older dog, I don’t care. She is better now and any long term effects aren’t a consideration in her case. Vet thinks it is great and sees it often.

sji

I tried it for pain but did nothing for me.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

My philosophy has always been that my body isn’t some science experiment. It’s amazing what getting up religiously at the same time (5:45 exactly no alarm needed) and staying busy at work and after work without ever taking naps can do for a sleep pattern. I rarely get colds or sick at all. I only wake up maybe once a night briefly at most. No oils, pills, Vapes, prescriptions, etc. I probably take 2 Tums a month…I don’t even think there’s ibuprofen in the medicine cabinet if I looked. I realize everyone is different and that medicines and such cannot be avoided for everyone, but for those who can start with simpler things to manage sleep, pain, etc I’d definitely try that first.

I have a few friends who took the CBD oil for aches and such and they felt it was nothing but a waste of $. Remember that products are out there always with the #1 intention of making money for the producers.

tim hurley

If in a pill you could create half the positive effects of excercise you would have billions. Better sleep, less depression, diabetes, heart, lungs, etc. etc.
    Drugs, hormones, stuff not tested much-would you put gallons of a mystery fluid into the tank of your car?

Joshf

The issues with cbd oil are the fact that it really isnt regulated. There are several companies that are making a so called snake oil. However if you do your research and find a good company the results can be very good. I started taking it a year ago and have been very happy with it. I was very skeptical at first but it has worked well for me.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I don’t even think there’s ibuprofen in the medicine cabinet if I looked.

I found out these are good for developing ulcers and stomach problems. Coming from something widely considered safe, it just goes to show everything has a potential downside.

Mike West

For those interested, Illinois went legal today. Non residents will be able to get 1/2 amount of residents. Dispensary’s as close as Rockford.
    Guessing there products will be much more effective than those we can get in MN or WI.
    Imagine WI state troopers will have a ball with this for a while though.

Deleted

I give the non thc hemp oil to my dog and he sleeps a lot more. It also has melatonin as an ingredient. I think that’s doing something but the hemp oil is snake oil.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.