I got this really nice reel, see?

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

I bought one of BK’s used Abu 7000’s, which was a screamin deal for a screamin reel (hopefully literally, at that!) The issue I got is that I have one crappy old $5 rod that I could put it on and would like to get something a bit… better.

I am actually considering putting that reel on the rod I currently use for everything big-game related where I currently have my Shimano Baitrunner 4500b spinning reel. The rod I have it on is a trolling rod meant for a baitcaster anyway, and then putting the Shimano on a rod meant for a spinning reel.

What I really want is a St. Croix Tournament Elite, but at $300 I’m not sure I’d survive the Spousal Backlash Phenomenon.

So I’m just wondering if anyone has any advice. I would be happy to put the Abu on my trolling rod if I can find something with a lot of backbone and a nice fast tip for channels, but whatever I end up with it needs to be in the sub-$100 range.

Thanks guys!

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

I use my 7000 on a med hvy cabelas IM7. I love the rod and for $60 you cant go wrong….

P.S. Any St. Croix rod you will have to send in to get repaired (5 yr warranty), with cabelas rod you can exchange same day (only 2 yr warranty though).

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

You should call Dean at Everts and see what he recommends

Whiskerkev
    Madison

If you are using it for catfishing, Ugly stick makes a wide selection of tough as nails rods for around 30-55 bucks. I use 6 ft medium heavies with spinning reels for channel cats and I think they were 26 dollars a peice going strong on year 6. They have some nice bait casting rods too. The last time I went salmon fishing that was all the charter used for trolling salmon. Great rods at a nice price.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Quote:

If you are using it for catfishing, Ugly stick makes a wide selection of tough as nails rods for around 30-55 bucks. I use 6 ft medium heavies with spinning reels for channel cats and I think they were 26 dollars a peice going strong on year 6. They have some nice bait casting rods too. The last time I went salmon fishing that was all the charter used for trolling salmon. Great rods at a nice price.

I feel a BK chime in about *white rods*….

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

These work well.St.Croix TRC70MHF 7’MH Fast 3/8- 1 oz for $ 70

See Dean I believe he has them in stock

I have 3 and use them for cats.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

just my 2 cents… u shouldn’t use a spinning reel on a casting rod. every graphite rod blank has a spine just like a human that is only supposed to bend naturally 1 way and that is the way that u put the guides on. it only makes sense to me so i thought i would share.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

just my 2 cents… u shouldn’t use a spinning reel on a casting rod. every graphite rod blank has a spine just like a human that is only supposed to bend naturally 1 way and that is the way that u put the guides on. it only makes sense to me so i thought i would share.

X2

scully0178
    parts unknown

lots of good rods out there under $50. i’ve never spent more than $40 on a cat rod. if you like black get an ugly stick. if you like white go to wally world and pick up one of those berkely big game rods for $30. i have three of the big games and i’m pretty sure the fish can’t tell the difference between a cheap rod and $300 rod.

malomike
    River Falls, WI

I’d like to have some more expensive rods, but I got my Berkely big game rods at Walmart’s winter clearance for $5 a piece… I couldn’t pass up an opportunity like that. :shrugs:

-mike

fishrman
    SE Iowa

I know I am new around here but thought I would contribute my 2 cents. I agree with the Ugly Stick idea. You just can’t beat the number one selling rod in America for Catfishin. Now, if you are going to be using it for things that require a little sensitivity, then Ugly Stick might not be the rod. I love them for catfishin though and have a couple that I have owned for most of 25 years that are still in service today. Also, regarding the St. Croix rods. I think you will find some of them do have a lifetime warranty. I think you have to go up to the Avid series or higher to get it though. The Croix Avid series is a great rod too but not sure I would want to take one catfishin for fear I would break it. Get an Ugly Stick, you can’t beat the price or the durability! My 2 cents. Just want to add, I am enjoy your site already!

wormdunker

I have a couple St Croix Avid 7′ Heavy casting rods. Lifetime warranties

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I know I would slap that reel on a St.Croix Premiere Surf rod 8’6″ just for Channels. Then you can use it on Sturgeons and Flats too. I have the spinning rod, but don’t know how well the casting rod will do.

If I had to go sub $100 I will have to default to the ugly stick, a 7′ H Tiger lite rod. Anyway that’s the rod I’ve been eyeing for myself. Thinking of getting one of each in a spinning version and a casting version. I’ve been using my Cabela’s XML 7′ H rods for channel cat fishing and they’re just a little bit too quick of a tip. Great for when I’m holding the rod, no good for when I have to set it down.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Welcome to Ido!

There are so many scenarios out there it’s pretty hard to recommend one rod IMO. I don’t believe there is a good Flat/channel/sturgeon rod. There are many that will work. Just not a good one that covers all three.

Quote:

Now, if you are going to be using it for things that require a little sensitivity, then Ugly Stick might not be the rod.

This is where braid and graphite combo excel. No I don’t need a graphite rod to tell when I’m snagged or if a bullhead is on. But it sure comes in handy to lift up the rod and “feel” if there’s a leaf or weeds on the line/hook/sinker.

No I’m not sponsored by St. Croix. I do BUY my rods from Dean at Everts. Dean has the “try before you buy” policy. That’s how he hooked me!

With all that being said, get the rod that fits your pocket book. I don’t know too many folks that buy one rod and stick with it and there always seems to be a market for used inexpensive cat rods if you would like to move up.

armchairdeity

What I ended up doing (after a consult with my accountant, err, wife, err, accountant) was putting the Shimano on an old Cabella’s medium/heavy E-Glass 7′ I have had for 15 years (and forgot about, actually) and then putting the Abu on my heavy-fast Shimano trolling rod. It’ll get me by for now, anyway.

Someone mentioned using a spinning reel on a graphite casting rod… and yeah, I agree. 2 items of note here, though, are that 1) it’s not a straight-up graphite rod (it’s a composite of some sort) and, more importantly, 2) I didn’t realize it was a casting, not spinning rod till this season. Just sorta hit me looking at the guides… HEY, that’s not a spinning rod!

You’d think if you were gonna spend $120 on a rod you’d pay a bit more attention, but I guess I just sorta missed it.

Anyway, I think the key factor here is that any rod mentioned in this thread will work, it just comes down to your personal motivations and the technology you like to use for what you’re doing. Personally I prefer the sensitivity of a high-end rod with braid for being able to tell what’s going on down there (it’s the next best thing to a camera)… but to each their own!

shawnil

Really are a ton of choices…I’d steer clear of the Bill Dance catfish rods, not a big fan of the glowstick although some like them.

If you’re thinking of Cabela’s King Kat, I’d go 8′. Ugly Stick med hvy catfish rods are ok, or if you like grahite I like a med heavy muskie type rod w a soft tip. I wouldn’t get a broom stick, or a rod that doesn’t have a flexible tip. Some of the flat pick-ups can be pretty subtle.

I think those med hvy rods are good all around for channels and flats.I like the tiger lite spinning I just got, called “hvy” but it’s really a med hvy.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I’ll throw in the Ugly Sticky Tiger Rod. Moore’s has them they work great.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Quote:

I’ll throw in the Ugly Sticky Tiger Rod. Moore’s has them they work great.

Like I was gonna say.. They have the best rod butt. It’s long enough and the right size and it’s rubber and foam so you can beat it up and not worry about it. The guides are not my favorite but they don’t break like the rest of the economy class. Maybe not the cheapest but a rod that you’ll keep a long time and find use for.

fishrman
    SE Iowa

Well, sounds like he has accomplished what he wanted. I think we can all agree, we like what we like. Rods are like tools, there is one we like for different fish or different fishing conditions. I have more rods than I could tell you off hand. There are certain ones I like for different baits and different fishing conditions. Just the way it is. I do have my favorites. Speaking of which, anyone know where I can buy a Daiwa Tony Bean Smallmouth rod? I broke one the other day, only had two. One of my favorite rods ever and over 10 years old. Great for throwing crankbaits!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Great for throwing crankbaits!

Do you throw them for channels or flats?

fishrman
    SE Iowa

Quote:

Do you throw them for channels or flats?

Neither! It is a great bass rod! Guess I shouldn’t have brought that up in a catfish&sturgeon forum?

armchairdeity

It’s all good… we’re all friends here.

It’s all plenty funny till someone loses an eye, then it’s downright hillarious!

armchairdeity

Quote:

Well, sounds like he has accomplished what he wanted.

Well, I wouldn’t go quite that far. I’d say I accomplished something I can live with for the time being (barely), but it’s definitely far from ideal.

I have to say, using that old $20 E-Glass rod from Cabellas with 3 oz of lead and a big old hunk of cut bait is a bit like trying to throw 3/4 oz daredevils with an ultralight. It just doesn’t work well.

And I really want to put my spinnign reel back on my Shimano rod. I know it wasn’t made for a spinning reel, but I used them together for so long that anything else feels so wrong. I’ll be getting a new rod for the baitcaster at some point… that much I know.

Thanks for all the input folks!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Keepfishn4fun

shawnil

Shimano makes some good rods, I love the old Convergence MH rod I have. I don’t see the same line/weight ratings for the new ones though. That’s a graphite rod, rated 25-30 lb line, w flexible yet sensitive tip.

Go with what feels best, comfort/confidence level is important. Except for the price, I was seriously considering getting a 1/2 ton Team Catfish rod…but I had a deal at Cabela’s for the Ugly Stick Tiger Lite I couldn’t refuse…

armchairdeity

Well today I was down at Everts for a bit… met BK’s daughter (who’s really pretty cool considering her lineage (sorry BK, it had to be said)), and broke down and brought home a St. Croix Triumph TRC70MHF.

I fished with it a bit off the dock at Everts and brought in one channel… I like it a lot so far.

More importantly, my Shimano flathead combo is back together… It was really bugging me to have them split up like that.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.