Power Pro Knots

• daveho
    Cassville Wi missippi pool 11

I learned a lesson last night. Fished from 8:30 PM to 1AM here on pool 11. Had a good fish on in the first hr. After a short but hard fight I reeled in to find my clinch knot had slipped. I am using 80 lb power pro. Reading the instructions this morning. It says don’t use clinch knots, which slip on PowerPro’s slick surface. I am switching to the UNI or Palomar knot.
    Tried two more spots after this but only had a couple of short runs and came home skunked. Has any one else had this happen.

Daveho

jhalfen

Palomar is the only knot I use on braided or superlines. Too many instances of clinch or improved clinch knots pulling free!

stuart
    Mn.

Palomar,the only knot you need!

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Palomar is the only knot I use on braided or superlines. Too many instances of clinch or improved clinch knots pulling free!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Seems like most people that I’ve taken fishing use the palomar. I’m not sure why, maybe because it’s the one knot that works well, in most applications.

My fishing teacher, taught me the uni knot. I spoke with the folks at PowerPro a couple years ago and this was the knot they recommend for strength.

With that said, never use the uni with Fire Line. There’s a certain Web Master/TV Host that reminds me about losing his super tuned raps…every once in a while.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

All I use is PowerPro. I tie all my hooks on with a snell knot. I’ve never had one come undone. All other connections are with a Palomar (swivels, etc.).

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I use the uni also…No troubles yet

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

i’ve always just used the Trilene Knot for everything.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Palomar……need extra confidence? Use a drop of super glue

jeff_hansen

Palo here too… If I’m hooking up to fluoro, I go with the Albright

Dobber
    S.W. WI

Been pulling cranks with braid for many years and many tournys. Used palomar for years with decent success, then tried uni knot. uni is much ,much stronger. losses of cranks is way down.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Palomar……need extra confidence? Use a drop of super glue

I tried this a few years back twice. Both times I ended up in the emergency room with my fingers and a cigarette stuck to my mouth.

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Best knot hands down for braid and superlines is the Fish n Fool knot. Google it, it’s a lot like a UNI knot but you run the line through the hook or swivel twice.

rodman1
    Monee, IL

But that is not the glue`s fault !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Tom Cooney

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Best knot hands down for braid and superlines is the Fish n Fool knot. Google it, it’s a lot like a UNI knot but you run the line through the hook or swivel twice.

I didn’t know by running it through the swivel or the hook twice, it changed the knots name.

That’s standard proceedure.

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I didn’t know by running it through the swivel or the hook twice, it changed the knots name.

That’s standard proceedure.

Not for us walleye guys

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I did a bunch of testing with that fish n fool knot with calibrated equipment. It tested exactly the same as the Palomar, in which neither knot ever failed. The line broke first.

I did discover a couple of other interesting things though.

The line broke at about 50-60% of the stated break strength, and also Sufix consistently had a higher break strength than PowerPro.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Using white Suffix by any chance.

gotcatfish
    Prior Lake,MN

Quote:

Using white Suffix by any chance.

Good one

flatheadwi
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

The line broke at about 50-60% of the stated break strength, and also Sufix consistently had a higher break strength than PowerPro.

What strength Sufix line were you testing, and have you used the stuff much? Does it handle as well as PowerPro?

I’ve been using 80lb PowerPro and I like it a lot – my buddy uses 100lb, but he has tremendous problems breaking off when he gets snagged – the stuff is just too friggin strong.

On knots – I’m a Palomar user with all braids and haven’t ever had a knot fail.

daveho
    Cassville Wi missippi pool 11

Thanks for all of the info on powerpro knots. I retied all 5 of my poles this morning 4 using the UNI knot and one using the palomar knot. I hooked the 10/0 Gamakatsu hook on to a beam under my deck wrapped the line around a dowel and put on a steady pull hard enough to move a truck and nothing slipped . Not to scientific but I am confident that this won’t happen again.

Daveho

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

Quote:

What strength Sufix line were you testing, and have you used the stuff much? Does it handle as well as PowerPro?

I’ve been using 80lb PowerPro and I like it a lot – my buddy uses 100lb, but he has tremendous problems breaking off when he gets snagged – the stuff is just too friggin strong.

On knots – I’m a Palomar user with all braids and haven’t ever had a knot fail.

That’s the same reason, I never went to 100 myself.

All I ever used to use was PP, but then a couple of guys suggested I try Sufix as there seemed to be a lot less “phantom” break-offs.

Not that it matters much, but I really like how round and smooth the Sufix is compared to other braids. It casts super.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Anybody use a Shakespeare knot? I guess that was what I was tought as a kid and have never had any problems with mono or braided line. It’s a heck of a lot easier to tie in wind or cold when your fingers don’t want to obey you.

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

Cool, I think someone lost some $ today. Catfishermen can read.

I’ve still never bought powerpro. It never goes on sale.

There are a couple of knots that work with braid but like most of the others, I just use the palomar all the time. I just put a heavy snap on the main line and rig from there. It makes tying that knot easier. They are heavy duty snaps though. You can’t buy them at walmart.

There is a knot for braid that I tried when I first started with braided line. I don’t know the name and I’ve tried to find it online a few times and it escapes me. You double the line, then tie a clinch knot or a berkley knot. It’s a little clumsy but it works a lot better than a regular clinch knot with braid.

It’s easy to test knots. Tie a piece of line to two sinkers and pull. It’s a long winter.

outdoor_guy
    Norway,Michigan (In DA UP)

Palomar for any Tackle connection with uni knot for adding a leader.

brad0383
    Farmington, MN

Quote:

Fish-n-fool Knot hands down. Check out knot wars to see for yourself.

link

There ya go

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

I guess I would like to know how one knot can be better than the other when the line breaks before the knot?

Do you suppose that they took the actual values of the line breaking and said, “well that knot must be better because we got a higher value”? Even though the line broke and not the knot.

It would make for a very poor video segment if the top knots performed just as well as each other

After I watched that segment on Versus, I made a post elsewhere and said, “I’m going to use that knot…..why not?”

Well after doing some pull testing and practicing tying that “super uni knot”, I found that it performed no better/no worse than a Palomar as the line broke midpoint between the swivels in all my samples. I also found that the “super uni-knot” was about twice as hard to tie (especially in the dark).

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.