2014 Flathead Photo Thread

• steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Put out my bullhead traps yesterday. Picked up 10 nice 7″ – 10″ bullies so far today. I’ve been baiting the traps with chicken liver and dry dog food and it seems to be calling them in. It is an easy way to fill the bait tank – my pond is only a few blocks away and I can check it every few hours. Checked them twice today and had 5 nice bullies each time. Won’t take long to have a nice cache of bullheads on hand.

Cat fish season is officially on. Picked up my first St Croix channel cat of the season on Sunday to wet my appetite. Now it is just about time for some flathead fishing. St Croix is dropping and No Wake is off and the water temp is 60 degrees. I’ve got bullies in the bait tank and the Twins are winning.

Brian – Open up that Flathead Photo Thread. I’ll have a nice one for you any time now.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Consider it open!

I’ve had bully’s for a week and all I have to show for it is one of them scaly fish.

I’m showing 58 below Dam #3…my ears are quivering because I know the only thing between me and a flat is Thursday!

Wait a minute! There isn’t a twins game tomorrow! You can’t go out!

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Just rub it in why don’t you!

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I told you – the flatheads are on the move. 1st St Croix flathead of the year. Not real big but a nice fish – measured 37″ X 23″ for 60 KOTC points. Caught him at 2215 on a bullhead. Only fish of the night but now we know they are there. I’m after them now!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nice ice breaker Steve. And he’s off!

skunkboy
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

What’s your water temp up there Steve? Nice looking flattie no matter what time of the year. Thanks for getting the blood boiling down this a way. Might have to try the Cedar this weekend.

L8R…Ken

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Quote:

What’s your water temp up there Steve? Nice looking flattie no matter what time of the year. Thanks for getting the blood boiling down this a way. Might have to try the Cedar this weekend.

L8R…Ken

Water temp was 63 degrees last night. Water is still extremely high and out of its banks. River is in No Wake status so you have to putt-putt from spot to spot. Lots of current too. They are still there and hungry, just a little hard to find.

skunkboy
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Good temp for sure…they’re gonna get more active now. I hear ya about the extra water. One guy once told me that when the water is high it just means…”more water, same amount of fish”. I guess I wouldn’t mind a little ‘no wake’ on the waters I fish…I hate skiers and skidoos…so inconsiderate of others.

Good luck Steve.

epeterson12

Quote:

Consider it open!

I’ve had bully’s for a week and all I have to show for it is one of them scaly fish.

I’m showing 58 below Dam #3…my ears are quivering because I know the only thing between me and a flat is Thursday!

Wait a minute! There isn’t a twins game tomorrow! You can’t go out!

BK I’m thinking about trying below the Fountain City dam tonight. My money hole is too hard to reach from shore right now. I’ve never had luck at the dam. Any tips?

riverbank-rat
    River Falls, WI

Quote:

I told you – the flatheads are on the move. 1st St Croix flathead of the year. Not real big but a nice fish – measured 37″ X 23″ for 60 KOTC points. Caught him at 2215 on a bullhead. Only fish of the night but now we know they are there. I’m after them now!!

Way to go Steve! I got myself some Bullhead’s to try a few spots after work this weekend, hopefully they are up in the flooded trees near the Boomsite wayside beach.

epeterson12

12#, 9#, 5#, & 1#. My Secret spot is producing. No big girls yet.

mr-special
    MPLS

was able to get out a couple times last wk and put sum flatys in the boat.
    heres my bud 1st decent flatty

no bigguns yet but nice to get the monkey off our backs

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Nice fish Phil.

I was thinking about hitting the high bridge. These are the same conditions, same time of year when our group was catching them like panfish down there. However that area has changed a lot since then.

skunkboy
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

This is Amy Smith, my cat fish team mates girl friend and partner in the Twisted Cats Outdoors Jack and Jill tournament held at LaGrange, Missouri on the Mississippi today. It weighed in at 35 pounds, won her Big fish honors and helped the team win First place overall. Congrats to Amy for the nice flattie.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Congrats to both you and Amy!

Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

1st high water flathead. 15#+ 31″!

Attachments:
    1. 2014-06-28-04.45.04.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

How did it taste?

Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Evan_peterson12 wrote:</div>

How did it taste?

Tasted like hickory smoked freshwater lobster!

Attachments:
    1. 2014-06-28-20.14.07.jpg

2. 2014-06-28-16.24.10.jpg

Fred Scott

Great photo’s! I have never caught a flat head catfish. We only have channel cat’s here in Vermont. But flat’s are on my bucket list.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

With the closed ramps and no wake it’s been a tough year so far.

The good thing is we are still hooking into pre spawn flats and the river is moving towards awesome conditions. Sunday the temp was 73 degrees (only).

There’s going to be some big walleye eaters posted here over the next few weeks.

Gabe

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Andrews first of the year…

Andrew Nordstrom

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

And his second…

Andrew Nordstrom

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I notice a hicky on that second one. Get’em now while they are riled up.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Why do you think Andrew was smiling so wide??

Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

With the closed ramps and no wake it’s been a tough year so far.

The good thing is we are still hooking into pre spawn flats and the river is moving towards awesome conditions. Sunday the temp was 73 degrees (only).

There’s going to be some big walleye eaters posted here over the next few weeks.

Gabe

Brian, I wish you put up reports more often! Thanks for the info. I got a little one 2 days ago. The 4AM hour seems to be when they have been most active this year.

Fred Scott

Andrew’s second flat is a monster! Awesome! Inspiring of a road trip, really!

Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

15# Male with bite marks on it. :O Out of the hole I caught a 61#er & a 55#er.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0301.jpg

Evan_peterson12
    Rosemount, MN

8#er. 1st flat landed this year that has actually fought like a true Flathead Catfish.

Attachments:
    1. image38.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Forked Whisker. That must happen frequently in the flathead world.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

8#er. 1st flat landed this year that has actually fought like a true Flathead Catfish.

Mr. Evan if I may, only assuming you are keeping most those flats with them being in your house and stringer in the other, and with the size to them I would be very cautious of mercury poisoning. The DnR guidelines give you a certain amount recommended, but seeming some of them are larger fish, and much older than your typical fish at those sizes they have had much more time to accumulate the icky stuff that can get you pretty darn sick. Maybe I’m off my data but still use caution.

Nice fish by the way!! Wish we had a bigger population up this way.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.