Road Trip to Mendota?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’m not cleared for take off at this time, but I’m looking at Jan 12/13 for a road trip to big cats on Mendota.

Kev, how far is the walk? I’m getting soft you know.

Is the water clear enough to use a camera?

I’ve been wanting to get over that way for years. The last time I couldn’t leave because of a sick rela-tic.

I don’t have a shack any longer Kev so if this works out, make sure it’s warm out huh?

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

I’d be in for that but have no time with the new little guy at home. Hope you catch lots though.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Assuming your going off the north end, not too far. That’s provided your in the small parking area early enough before it fills up. Otherwise, a mile or two
    Water clarity is usually great once there is ice.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Dang nabbit, got an ice fishing contest that weekend in the other direction.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Well Pugsly, that date isn’t set in stone and I haven’t heard from the Whiskerman yet. The following week would work too.

I won’t go if Kev’s busy.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Perhaps. Here is the nickel advice. Go to Governors Island. Walk out on the ice. Find 30 feet of water and pop like 35 holes. Fish winter just off the shelf where the Yahara dumps in and suspend. A camera would work fine. You might want a later date. The fish are more agressive closer to the season end. February is the month to shoot for.

icing cats

Moores Bait

Someone say road trip? Been a long time since I was on one of those, would need a few days just to find my suit case. I don’t take up much space if room is available

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

If it were me on foot, I would be hiking out from Governor Nelson State Park. Not positive, but it seems closer to the area where you will actually be fishing.

I agree with Kev on time frame, later in the year would be better. More big cats staging in that area in late winter.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The following weekend would be iffy. If I go to Grand Rapids or not.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Can I come with? Heck, I’ll even drive! But you need to know a couple of things first.

1) You gotta pop all the holes.

2) You gotta provide the fishing equipment.

3) You’ll be alone if it’s cold out…..i’ll be in the car.

But, I will pay for the gas and a Butterburger afterwards.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You could go in at Nelson but it would be 600 yards instead of 150. There is limited parking at Gov Island and a lot of perch yankers put their wheelers in there. One nice deal about this fishing is the channels are all prespawn and some that would be 20 lbs in summer would be 25lbs.

wicathunter11
    Ferryville WI

Tried go catn threw the ice there once but the 36-42 inch northern kept eatn my cut bait

sgt._rock
    Rochester, MN

I’m hauling the kid back to campus on the 13th. I’d be in for a howdy do stop by if it works out.

Flathead Fever
    robbinsdale mn

Hey. Can I come??? Pretty please with a cherry on top!

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Does anybody know if the ice is safe out on Mendota yet? I live in Madison and could go out the 19th of Jan. I also have a big 7’x14′ clam fish camp shanty so I could fit a few guys in there if it’s too cold to fish outside.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yeah.

Just informed the FD’s surgery has been changed to the 17th of Jan.

stuart
    Mn.

Lets go the 25th,26th,27th.

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

I just drove over to Governors Island this afternoon and found out that Lake Mendota is still open water over most of the lake. The edges and bays are frozen but out where the catfishing is is still open. If it remains this cold it could be frozen over in a week or so. We’ll just have to keep checking.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Mendota is still open water as of this am. Monona locked up over the weekend.

stcroixer
    Croix Valley

this one sounds like fun, what’s the status?

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Mendota is still not frozen as of today. Maybe later in the season might work out better. There is one bridge of ice reaching across the lake but It won’t be ready for more than a week.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

There’s never a time when it works for everyone. Dang it.

I have the FW’s ok and a ride for the 26 and 27th.

Have stink bait will travel.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ps If there’s ice.

wisccatguy
    Blair wI

I hear mendota just froze over. Is their still gonna be a Catfish outing in February

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

I haven’t been over to the lake to see if it’s frozen over. If it is I’m sure it’s still very thin where the catfish can be caught. Maybe Kevin can chime in on the current ice conditions on Lake Mendota.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

As a matter of fact I can see the lake from my office. She just froze over and will be readyfor the 26th. A couple of us may try on the 26th. If you want to fish it, send me a PM. I have small children and anything can happen with me but I can tell you where to go and what to do.

Jerry Hochhausen
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks for that report Kev. I would like to have that view of the lake from my work. I’ll be in Texas that weekend so I won’t be there. I hope those that do come to Madison will catch some big ones. I’ll be getting out there after I get back from Texas.

nick-nutter

Out of curiosity, what is the draw to Mendota? Never heard of t before this thread …

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Out of curiosity, what is the draw to Mendota? Never heard of t before this thread …

In a nutshell, it’s a Horseshoe but with much larger fish. 20+ pounds isn’t unheard of. They consider 10 pounders fiddlers.

But it’s a secret so don’t tell anyone Nick!

nick-nutter

Wow, sounds great! No worries, this conversation never happened.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.