How to catch shad for Sturgeon fishing

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Since the St Croix Sturgeon season is about to open, I know there’s many looking for a legal way to get shad for bait.

Ever thought about sauger fishing??

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Is that from that one fish??? I am always amazed how gorged fish can get. I remember catching small 1.5-2lb bass in a lake near Elk River. The person who brought me kept some and when we cut them open we found their stomachs full of little bullheads. They apparently had schooled them up and were gorging on them.

It was a fun day to pull out the weirdest lures I had, because no matter what I through out there, I would catch several on it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yes Sir, one little sauger.

The pic was taking in Oct of ’04, so I ‘spose it’s a little early for the shad.

Although I’ve been hearing reports of schooled shad in the backwaters area.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

So Brian, can you cast net on the WI side?

Or, what is a good way to catch minnows besides a dip net?

Can you sein on the St. Croix?

jiggin-rake
    inver grove heights, minnesota

Found the shad yesterday in pool 2 backwater.. holy cow is there alot! Fishin was good also. Bass and walleye.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

So Brian, can you cast net on the WI side?

Or, what is a good way to catch minnows besides a dip net?

Can you sein on the St. Croix?

1. No
    2. Minnow Traps (see below)
    3. The St Croix and Mississippi is infested waters. The only way to catch bait is via the new regulation the Catfish Workshop Group suggested last year…and that is by hook and line. The “bait” must be used at that time and is not allowed to be brought back to any waters.

Actually in reading the law a little closer, we can’t take the shad out of the belly of a sauger and use it for bait either.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Are mooneyes good for cutbait for sturgeon? Lord knows they have to serve some sort of purpose in this world other than to keep the hook manufacturers in business.

wisccatguy
    Blair wI

Caught a 49# flat on a moon eye last week

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.