Do we owe it to pic posters?

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Serious question and I’m torn both ways.

When someone (other than a cat guy) posts a picture of a biggie piggie, should we or should we not correct their weights?

Same with a person that posts a pic of a 10 pound walleye that we “know” won’t clear 8 pounds.

Back to flats again. It seems like most scaly fish guys will get a 40+ and it’s automatically a 50. Of course they aren’t prepared with a scale that goes near 30 much less 50 pounds. After looking at walleyes for years in the less then 10 pound size, it’s easy to see how anyone could add 10/20 pounds to a flat. Not to mention the excitement of the bear showing it’s self the first time next to the boat.

So is it our obligation as catters to pop their bubble?

Or is it better to just say “nice fish” and move on?
    After all, it’s likely to be the largest fish of their life time no matter what is weighs.

Just asking for opinions.

PS Not to be confused with a person that asked for a weight guess.

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

I go with the nice fish and move on – like you said, it might be that persons PB and if they want to think it is that way – no harm, no foul – life is too short

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

To answer your question, I’m torn as well. I typically only talk about weight to less informed people. This is typically the first thing they ask. The fish that I lose will typically gain the extra 10-20 lbs you speak of.

I normally tell people the length. It seems to be a direction that we’ve been headed over the last 15 years or so. This is likely because of more sport fishing.

Tough call to burst their bubble or not. I’d lean toward not.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I agree with not challenging the weight. The person very excited and nothing is going to be gained by raining on his prized catch.

Palerider77

I say “nice fish” and move on. Let happy people be happy.

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

Brian,
    Would you correct your wife on her wieght or just let it be?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

If they under estimate the weight yes. Over estimate no.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Brian,
    Would you correct your wife on her wieght or just let it be?

To answer that question, a very smart member posted the answer…..

Quote:

Let happy people be happy.

Just to be clear, I’m not pointing fingers. I’ve done it both ways….a lot!!

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

Muskeeze

Who cares.

It happens with Muskys all the time. Mostly with inches though. If the person who posted the picture doesn’t care, then why include it in the description. If I caught something I have no clue what it weighed and only guessed, I’d love for someone better to give me their opinion. When someone goes on WWW and posts a musky and says 50-60 pounds or a walleye and says 15-20lbs or a bass and says 8-16lbs it’s going to get beat to death….every single time and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Now if they ask for a guess on the weight then its wide open.

adam-bartusek
    New Prague, MN

It is personal pet peeve of mine seeing people that claim a fish bigger than it is. I know i can be a abuser of this as well. But to answer your question I think we should be correcting because then the individual gets more information about the fish they see.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

NO.

X2

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I say yes.

I suppose you guys who said no would also prefer to find a booger hanging out your nose at the end of the day, rather than have someone tell you early in the morning?

Let them know. The person posting the picture can take it or leave it, but I assume a lot of guys would prefer to be accurate. In a sport were weights matter, I think it is important. I don’t think it makes you a jerk.

On the flip side, I have also seen envious people down scale the weight of a posted picture.

For me, if you see a booger, then let me know! Now don’t going looking back for pictures I’ve posted either.

Many people also fish areas based on factual information. If through the grapevine you here of 10″ fish on a small metro lake abnd then you go and catch 6″, you’re going to be disappointed.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Pug, your zipper is down…again.

herb
    6ft under

Who cares? Really!
    Some people won’t be able to keep their fingers off the keys no matter what anyone else thinks or does anyway.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Who cares? Really!

This coming from a guy that’s never posted a photo.

herb
    6ft under

Don’t know how.
    Don’t take cameras with me.
    And if i did, that rascal Bk would call me a photo shopping fibber.
    I’m very content in my little corner of the world.

wkw

You’ve already popped my bubble, Brian.LOL
    But I got over it.
    WKW

stuart
    Mn.

I have a 10 incher.Photo’s by request only.

herb
    6ft under

Be carefull you don’t step on it.
    sorry

walleyefisher87
    Central MN/ SJU

i just let it slide…..dont fish the catfish enough but just how everyone seems to catch a 27″ walleye during a tournament on mille lacs or all the 10″ gills that are actually 8 to 9″ …put it on a board or tape and end of story….some people like to exaggerate and let them exaggerate

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

I have a 10 incher.Photo’s by request only.

Braggart..

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

I have never met a fisherman yet that has elbows while having a picture taken

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

I ‘spose a person should really know that it’s a fishing site.

Not to pick on you Herb, but you’re not really 6 feet under. Photoshopped?

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

If it’s a musky you’re obligated to reduce the length by 5-10″ and the weight by 10-20 lbs.

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I was watching Hank Parker bass show once and he was commenting on the big fish Roland Martin show pictures of on his show and mentioned that Roland had the biggest knuckles he every saw on a person.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m in favor of the nice fish, let it go. Too often big fish pics get bashed, accused of photo shopping, poor camera angle to accurately depict the size…and all we do is speculate. Now if you were in the boat and witnessed it….call it as you see it. In this wonderful world of the web, we see nearly everything. I would hate to see the day that we need to have a certified scale print out to discuss weight without everyone jumping in and ripping someone. Lord knows I have under and over estimated a fish’s weight. I’ve checked my digital scale against 10 and 20# balance scale weights and have been impressed with it’s accuracy. Then, I have gone up to a weigh in with a bass that my scale says 5# 7oz and their torney scale say 4#-15 oz…just to be beaten by a bass that looks like 3-1/2# and it weighed over 5 Too much gray area to get that picky

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.