I have a question

• Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Well it seems that phone tag is not gonna work here….I suppose they are pretty busy….so I fired off this e-mail to the local MN CO,,,and as soon as I can find an address for the local WI CO…I will do the same with him…
    Here’s a copy of what I sent…

TO : Scott Fritz- MNdnr
    Sir,
    My name is Jeff and I live in LaCrosse.
    I belong to a fishing web site called In-Depth Angling and recently a discussion came up regarding the rules of the boundary waters.
    Some guys believe ,that if you have a WI license, you are allowed to follow WI regulations- IE: using 3 lines, live bait rules ect. even when on the MN side of the river.
    Other people believe that since WI boundary water regulations state (page 54 in the WI book) “Regulations on these waters may differ between states.You must obey the regulations of the state in which you are fishing” That they must follow the regulations of MN ( IE: 2 lines and bait rules ) when on the MN side of the river…..and follow WI’s regulations when on the WI side.
    What would you,as a Conservation officer , do in a situation such as a WI licensed angler fishing with 3 lines clearly on the MN side of the river?
    The reason for this inquiry is to prevent unnecessary citations so any response would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you for your time,
    Jeff
    LaCrosse WI

timmy

I was checked by a MN warden last summer on the MN side of the ‘croix. I had 3 lines out with cut sunfish for bait – and the warden simply checked my license asked what I caught and told me to have a nice day. I was expecting more questions, but he had no issue at all with my approach….

I do think that the individual warden(and his mood that day) would have the biggest bearing on the outcome, though…..as both DNR offices are not crystal clear on the law……..

Tim

DaveL
    Stacy, MN

I do think that the individual warden(and his mood that day) would have the biggest bearing on the outcome, though…..as both DNR offices are not crystal clear on the law……..
    Tim

I would bet this has a lot to do with how most situations are handled. Also, how well the officer knows the law him/herself. It has a lot to do with interpretation.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Ok…Just got off the phone with WI CO Russ Wilson..
    I asked him the following questions…..
    If a MN angler with a MN licence is fishing in WI waters, between the tracks, will he recieve a citation-warning for fishing with 3 lines or using legal gamefish as bait??….. No.
    If I ,as a WI resident…were fishing on the MN side with either 3 lines or (here ya go Bret) or legal gamefish as bait…Could I recieve a citation-warning for such from a MN CO ??…..Yes
    He told me that the regulations on page 54 of the WI booklet are correct and quite clear…
    If you guys want to ask him yourselves call…
    Russ Wilson @
    785-9000
    Hope this help clarifies some things
    BTW ..I do also believe it’s up to the CO, seen the bad mood thing before…..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

If a MN angler with a MN licence is fishing in WI waters, between the tracks, will he recieve a citation-warning for fishing with 3 lines or using legal gamefish as bait??….. No.

Seriously…you need to follow up with the MN DNR. They will give this person a ticket.

…and I’m not trying to make this confusing!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

Quote:

Seriously…you need to follow up with the MN DNR. They will give this person a ticket.

…and I’m not trying to make this confusing!

Absolutely.. not a debate, that is just bad information! MN residents are restricted to 2 lines, and can not use gamefish for bait.. anywhere on areas specified as border waters… its that simple, and probably about the only thing clearly stated in MN regulations

What that warden said would account for a very expensive day.

It may be just his personal feelings that he doesnt care as long as people are abiding by WI laws on the WI side.

Fact, I have been checked by WI CO’s on the MN side several times. I have never been checked by a MN CO on border waters.. just a coincidence.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I most certinaly will Brian….I know your not confusing
    But I still think that a MN CO cannot ticket people in WI…it’s out of their jurisdiction-
    I’ve never seen a MN CO on Lake Onalaska….Just like I’ve never seen a WI CO on Lawrence or Target Lake -all boundary waters
    If Officer Fritz does not respond by tuesday I will attempt to contact him by phone,and e-mail again….
    Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

Absolutely.. not a debate, that is just bad information! MN residents are restricted to 2 lines, and can not use gamefish for bait.. anywhere on areas specified as border waters… its that simple, and probably about the only thing clearly stated in MN regulations

What that warden said would account for a very expensive day.

It may be just his personal feelings that he doesnt care as long as people are abiding by WI laws on the WI side.

Fact, I have been checked by WI CO’s on the MN side several times. I have never been checked by a MN CO on border waters.. just a coincidence.

Dave….again…please contact Officer Wilson……I did not make this up and I really don’t think he is just giving his opinion- seemed like a standard CO..serious as a heart attack..
    After all, his job is enforcing people fishing in WI follow WI’s regs….not MN’s.
    Just the same as MN’s COs

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Mudshark…Both Dave and I know that you aren’t making this up and that was his response. I went through this a couple years back. Both DNR’s had their own views and the CO’s, well…they had another.

What I see that was said in your conversation was that HE wouldn’t give you a ticket…I know the MN CO will have another story.

If I had the time, money and resources…first I would conferance call both DNR commissioners and ask…”can’t we all just get along?”

Second, I would buy a WI Non Res license and fish with three lines and sunfish…once I got my ticket…I would scream discrimination in court…because I…being a MN resident am the only person out of 49 states that is not allowed to fish with WI regs.

(I would lose…but I would feel better)

Rant off.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Mudshark.. I know your not makingit up. No pun was intended.

You may have said it best.. The WI CO is out there enforcing WI regulations on *that side* of the river(supposedly)… and the MN CO is supposed to be doing the same.. but they must have good understandings of each states regulations of what is allowed, and what is not by individuals from each side of the line. If your a WI resident.. put the sunny on a treble hook anyhwere you want specified in the regulations of WI/MN border waters.. its legal unless its specified otherwise in the WI regulations for border waters. The residents of either state must abide by the laws of the state they reside in.. it just happens MN gets the short end of the stick. The MN guy at the same time will be fishing with 1 less line, and a bullhead if he wants to get exotic.. anywhere on those same border waters.

Game wardens have a lot to keep up on.. there are way too many laws. Game wardens are prone to error as any of us are, especially if they are on waters ith special regulations from 2 different states.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

And to confuse things even more we haven`t even tried to answer the question….. I have my Wi. resident licesne but fishing in a boat registered in Minnesota. On the boundary waters between the tracks. What I am getting at here is if I were to hire BrinK for a guide could I use my three lines and sunfish for bait?

If this is legal maybe Brian will hire me to fish with him.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Well guys…I just don’t know what to say here……
    I spent the better part of the morning trying to contact the COs…and got ,what I thought was a pretty clear answer, and now he’s wrong also???
    …I just don’t know….maybe frustration on my part is the key word here.
    Every CO I have ever met and known has had a very good idea of the laws he/she have to enforce,and do their jobs very well.
    And Mr.Wilson seemed quite postive and clear about this, His exact statement was “I just don’t know how much clearer the law could be stated on this”

“If your a WI resident.. put the sunny on a treble hook anyhwere you want specified in the regulations of WI/MN border waters.. its legal unless its specified otherwise in the WI regulations for border waters.”

Again..WI’s regulation is quite specific to me – “you must follow the regulations of the state you are fishing in”
    So forgive me if I do not follow your advice….and yes that is my choice….I just do not want to take the chance.
    I just hope no one here ever gets a citation…That was, after all, my only intent in this whole discussion.
    That being said…I’ll now just shut up and just drop the whole thing…..If the MN CO ever gets back to me I’ll will post it, but otherwise I’m done.
    Maybe if someone else here wants to call the CO in their area…go for it…I would be interested what they have to say.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Tom P…

I answered your boat registration question earlier.. it doesnt make a difference where its registered as long as its up to date.. The boat could be registered with a current florida license and it would be good to go. Whomever is fishing in that boat must abide by the laws allowed by their own fishing license.

Unusual circumstances having contridicting laws on the same body of water for angling.. The boat is irrelivant to the angling methods allowed.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I have been checked on pool 9 by Ia, Wi, and MN cos on either side of the channel. I mainly fish the Ia, MN side of the channel. 3 rods out, game fish blue gills out and never even batted an eye at me. Checked my license and life jackets and moved on. Do what you feel is right.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Well…. here is the reply I recieved from the MN CO…..

Jeff,

The Wisconsin regulation is correct. An angler must obey the regulations of the state in which they are fishing.

The example of using 3 lines in Minnesota waters would be a violation that could result in a citation.

Minnesota CO’s have jurisdiction on the boundary waters between the rail road tracks. We enforce like laws from for both states. Example: life jackets – same for both states, fishing license – same for both states. Our authority covers all of the boundary waters.

When the laws differ between the states Minnesota CO’s only enforce MN laws on the MN side of the river. This is the same for the WI Wardens. Example: 3 lines on the WI side – we do not enforce MN law on the WI side of the river.

Your efforts to educate our fishermen through a news letter or the local paper would be beneficial.
    Contact me if you have any further questions.

Conservation Officer
    Scott Fritz
    (507)895-4263

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.